Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luna as Surrounds mounted horizontally?

Default Re: Luna as Surrounds mounted horizontally?

Quote Originally Posted by hdkeith View Post
    The LX looks like it will want close to 120 watts for the distance and my amp is only 100 watts for surround chanmales which I assume would be enough.
    Also a bit confused on this statement. At only 8 feet away, we recommend a minimum amplifier wattage of 33 watts per channel for LX. With 100 watts into an LX, at your listening distance, you will easily reach 100dB with just one speaker.... This is insanely loud and a volume level that would be damaging to your hearing.

Please clarify so we can better assist you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    How far back will you be sitting from the height speakers and at what height will you be mounting the speakers?

This statement confuses me... The highs on the 200's roll-off very slowly off-axis, this is a dome tweeter and dispersion is rotationally symmetrical. What makes you think the highs roll-off quickly??

First I may have misstated what I meant. When I look at the measurements the off axis vertical measurement at 15 degrees drops down a bit, and my best guess is I will be at least 30-40 degrees below the axis. I dread to post a pic because when I did that on another forums switched form speaker advice to basically being told my layout needs to be fixed and the pile on that followed. My room and space requirements are what they are. I am trying my best to up my game within the confines of what cards my room has dealt me.

Whatever I put on the walls I will use a mounting bracket to angle them down toward MLP similar to the rears, which I will tilt down more.

https://pbase.com/kluken/image/172728761
    Last edited by hdkeith; 08-08-2022 at 05:41 PM.
    Denon X7200WA, Monolith 9X, Dual PSA V1800 subs, Klipsch RP-280F/RS-62ii Front stage, RS-35/25 sides/rears and RP-140SA Elevations.

First I may have misstated what I meant. When I look at the measurements the off axis vertical measurement at 15 degrees drops down a bit, and my best guess is I will be at least 30-40 degrees below the axis. I dread to post a pic because when I did that on another forums switched form speaker advice to basically being told my layout needs to be fixed and the pile on that followed. My room and space requirements are what they are. I am trying my best to up my game within the confines of what cards my room has dealt me.

Whatever I put on the walls I will use a mounting bracket to angle them down toward MLP similar to the rears, which I will tilt down more.

https://pbase.com/kluken/image/172728761
    OK - a few things here need correcting as there seems to be some misinformation or confusion.

30-40 degrees off-axis vertically is HUGE, and will be a problem for any speaker. The majority of listeners are within +/- 20 degrees vertically, even when a speaker is wall mounted. The 25mm dome tweeter in our HTM-200 will have basically the same dispersion as any other 25 mm dome tweeter (unless the dome tweeter uses a waveguide or horn, which would further limit dispersion.

If you are sitting 8 feet back from the 200's, and you have them mounted on the wall at 6 feet high, and assuming your ear height when seated is 36 inches (typical) - you would then be at a vertical angle of approximately 20 degs, which is perfect. With your listening distance of 8 feet, you would have to mount the speakers at ~ 10 feet high to be at a 40 degree angle.

Based on your room diagram, it appears your main listening position is at least 14 feet away from the front wall, where the heights would be mounted. If you mount the heights at 6 feet high, this would then put you at a vertical angle of only 12 degs. Any of our speakers would be fine.

In addition, the high frequency roll-off you see in the vertical off-axis measurement of the 200 at 15 degrees off is only -3dB at around 16kHz. In simple terms, this is nothing and completely inaudible to any adult - very few adults can hear anything at all above 16kHz, and none would be able to discern a 3dB difference. At the actual off-axis angle I calculated for you based on your room diagram, there is at most only 1dB of roll-off. You will experience far greater high frequency roll off just based on the objects in your room, humidity, the positioning of your head while you are seating.

Honestly, unless you have vaulted ceilings and planning on mounting the heights at around 12 feet high, there is no concern here.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, the fronts were only my concern on Lunas for power needed, not axis. My axis concern is the sides/rears where I am close and may not be able to angle them down enough to get within 30 degrees. They will be mounted about 7-7.5 feet high due to doorway and windows. I will take some measurements today as I found a calculator online that will show me the offset from axis. That is why the Lunas looked appealing as at least with most ribbons they have wide dispersion this if I mount them horizontal I could easily stay within an acceptable off axis position. Sorry for the confusion, this room and purchase are driving me nuts as I want to make sure I get this as good as I can since the speakers will be a decent sized spend for me.

Update:
    OK I did some rough measurement and without angling the speakers the rears are 45 degree below axis, the right surround is about 34 degrees and the left surround is 27 degrees. The one wall bracket I am looking at has +12/-20 degree tilt so I assume I would subtract ~20 degrees from my calculations.
    Last edited by hdkeith; 08-09-2022 at 02:57 AM.
    Denon X7200WA, Monolith 9X, Dual PSA V1800 subs, Klipsch RP-280F/RS-62ii Front stage, RS-35/25 sides/rears and RP-140SA Elevations.

Thanks, the fronts were only my concern on Lunas for power needed, not axis. My axis concern is the sides/rears where I am close and may not be able to angle them down enough to get within 30 degrees. They will be mounted about 7-7.5 feet high due to doorway and windows. I will take some measurements today as I found a calculator online that will show me the offset from axis. That is why the Lunas looked appealing as at least with most ribbons they have wide dispersion this if I mount them horizontal I could easily stay within an acceptable off axis position. Sorry for the confusion, this room and purchase are driving me nuts as I want to make sure I get this as good as I can since the speakers will be a decent sized spend for me.

Update:
    OK I did some rough measurement and without angling the speakers the rears are 45 degree below axis, the right surround is about 34 degrees and the left surround is 27 degrees. The one wall bracket I am looking at has +12/-20 degree tilt so I assume I would subtract ~20 degrees from my calculations.
    Thanks for the clarification and the image of the room. That is much more helpful and now I understand.

Yes, if you can angle them downward 20 degrees you will be within the recommended vertical angle.

Another option is to mount them to the wall using the side of the cabinet so the drivers are directly firing downwards.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks.

My plan was mount them horizontally using the below wall mount which will allow for 20 degree downward angle. Assuming the RAAL has more horizontal dispersion than vertical that should get me within the angles I mentioned and will hopefully sound good. It will also look less obnoxious than mounting them vertically in the narrow space above the door. I was avoiding having to screw anything into the cabinets. I know my room setup is not ideal, but I am trying to work with what I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-AV-S.../dp/B06WWCGP7J

mount.png

Our Luna or Duo mounted horizontally will also work very well!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you!