Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HLAM Measurements

Exclamation HLAM Measurements

I have no localization issues whatsoever.
    I have 2 SVS SB13's up front and two PSA 1500's in the back. These are connected to the receiver through a MINIDSP 2X4HD.
    The room is about 22' x 11.5' with two openings and also an open stairway to the upper level. It is a living room and in no way designed for sound quality.
    The speakers and subs blend better with a high crossover. I have tried every crossover from 40 to 250Hz. Anywhere from 130 to 200 works pretty good. 150 sounds best but I get the best looking measurement at 200.
    I have tried the LX's with no subs. In my room they are just a bass heavy mess. The bass between 40 and 80 Hz has a 20+ dB hump. Sounds something like that cheap subwoofer in a car trunk going down the road.
    This probably explains why I thought that the detailed upper frequencies where missing with the LX's. They where drowned out by the elevated bass levels.
    Blended with the subs they sound great and I do hear an improvement in the midrange.

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

I found a measurement. I will try to load it.
    sierra LX x-over resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    Do you by chance have your speakers (front baffle) about 28” from the wall and near the corners?
    Last edited by djDANNY; 06-09-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Assume you've also used REW to generate correction frequencies to apply in the miniDSP in the attached plot? Should be easily able to flatten the response from 80 hz and below.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I am not sure what I am looking at here. Is this a measurement with the LX together with your sub?

What receiver are you using?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My speakers front baffle are 22" from the wall.
    Dave the measurements are the LX's and subs crossed over at 80 and 150 Hz. Taken from the MLP.
    I am pretty sure that these were taken when connected to my Anthem MRX 720.
    I did use REW to flatten the subs for both measurements. The only thing that changed was the crossover.

This is a measurement comparing the LX's to the sierra 2's. No subs and no REQ.
    sierra LX vs sierra2.jpg

As you can see the LX's put out so much bass that doing a sound comparison between the two speakers was almost impossible. I always preferred the sierra 2"s without the subs. When crossed over to the subs they sound very similar.

This is a measurement comparing the LX's to the sierra 2's. No subs and no REQ.
    sierra LX vs sierra2.jpg

As you can see the LX's put out so much bass that doing a sound comparison between the two speakers was almost impossible. I always preferred the sierra 2"s without the subs. When crossed over to the subs they sound very similar.
    What are you using to take these measurements and where is your microphone placed? Something is definitely not right... yes, the LX do have more bass than the Sierra-2, but the differences should be about 3-4 dB at 80Hz.... Your measurements are showing a massive difference of nearly 16dB! That's simply not possible.

Did you use EQ with the Sierra-2 and then leave that same EQ in place with the LX? If so, turn that EQ off with the LX.

I'd recommend taking the MiniDSP out of the system for now
    Last edited by davef; 06-10-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    What are you using to take these measurements and where is your microphone placed? Something is definitely not right... yes, the LX do have more bass than the Sierra-2, but the differences should be about 3-4 dB at 80Hz.... Your measurements are showing a massive difference of nearly 16dB! That's simply not possible.

Did you use EQ with the Sierra-2 and then leave that same EQ in place with the LX? If so, turn that EQ off with the LX.

I'd recommend taking the MiniDSP out of the system for now
    The measurements were taken with a UMIK-1 placed at ear height in the MLP.
    I do not use any room eq at all. This is just the front speakers.
    I removed the wires from the sierra 2's and put the LX's in their place without moving the mike.
    The MiniDSP is used to time aline the 4 subs with each other. I then check different crossovers to get the best blend between the subs and the speakers. In my room this is always in the range of 150 Hz.

The measurements were taken with a UMIK-1 placed at ear height in the MLP.
    I do not use any room eq at all. This is just the front speakers.
    I removed the wires from the sierra 2's and put the LX's in their place without moving the mike.
    The MiniDSP is used to time aline the 4 subs with each other. I then check different crossovers to get the best blend between the subs and the speakers. In my room this is always in the range of 150 Hz.
    I think you should use some form of room correction on the low end of the speakers. I have the same issues. My Sierra-2’s are somewhat corner loaded and sound really boomy without room correction. Once you tame the low end with room correction, you can cross over lower with the subs without it sounding boomy.