Thread: Center Channel Upgrade Recommendation Help

Default Center Channel Upgrade Recommendation Help

I’m upgrading the center channel in my home theater. I originally started out with Sierra-1s as my LRC back when they were the only Sierra bookshelf models. I have subsequently upgraded the L and R speakers to Sierra-2EXs using the conversion kit Ascend has been so kind to offer us—and holy cow! I’m in love with that RAAL tweeter and the new woofer is pretty fantastic as well.

So, the center channel is still my original Sierra-1 center and my dilemma is whether to upgrade it to a Sierra-2EX center or go with the new Duo Center. I assume the RAAL tweeter can be rotated 90 degrees in the upgrade because my center needs to be placed on its stand horizontally. I see it is configured that way in the picture of the 2EX center channel on the website, but wanted to make sure it was possible to do that with the upgrade kit.

The other question I have is matching. I like the idea of identical LRC speakers and upgrading my Sierra-1 center would accomplish this. However, the Duo also has the same RAAL tweeter I so love in my upgraded 2EXs, so in the upper register I assume it would be a terrific match even though the woofers are different. Also, my L&R speakers are positioned to the left and right of a freestanding brick fireplace that the TV is mounted on, giving them plenty of room (15+ feet) behind them for the rear port to breathe, but my center must be placed within a few inches of what is essentially a brick wall. Obviously not ideal and not something that would change if I upgraded it to a 2EX. The Duo, on the other hand, has those nice front-firing ports which would be better in terms of my positioning requirements but I’m not sure how much impact it would have on sound.

I think I’ll be happy either way but wanted to see if anyone had some insight into using the Duo as a center channel partnered with Sierra-2EX L&R speakers. Aesthetically, I like to leave the grills off and my wife would probably prefer the symmetrical look of the Duo to the 2EX center with the tweeter on one side, but to me it’s more about what will sound best in our room, and I really don’t have a clue. Any thoughts, guidance or words of wisdom much appreciated!
    Last edited by Belows; 04-20-2022 at 12:49 PM.

Default Re: Center Channel Upgrade Recommendation Help

Are you using a subwoofer(s)? Can you place the center vertically?
    I believe it's been posted elsewhere that you only need a few inches behind the port to avoid any issues - perhaps same distance as diameter of port.

See this thread - like the 2nd or 3rd post - on essentially your question.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...help-S2-vs-DUO
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Belows View Post
    I think I’ll be happy either way but wanted to see if anyone had some insight into using the Duo as a center channel partnered with Sierra-2EX L&R speakers. Aesthetically, I like to leave the grills off and my wife would probably prefer the symmetrical look of the Duo to the 2EX center with the tweeter on one side, but to me it’s more about what will sound best in our room, and I really don’t have a clue. Any thoughts, guidance or words of wisdom much appreciated!
    I have 2 Sierra-2EX for L&R and a Duo for center. I had space limitations for the center that prevented me from using a Sierra-2EX for a center. I've been extremely happy with Duo for movies and TV. I did have concerns initially, but the Duo integrates with the Sierra-2EX seamlessly. The Duo is placed at the top of the TV and not in line with the Sierra-2EX.

I have a Marantz AV7705 and used Audessey MultEQ-X to calibrate the crossovers. It picked 40Hz for the Sierra-2EX and 80hz for the DUO.

I thought the Duo was a really good center (I had it paired with Towers w/ RAAL). I did move to the Horizon later when I figured out a way to make it fit in my entertainment center and since it's the best center Ascend offers.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD