Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

Quote Originally Posted by RMW View Post
    We’re on the edges of our seats!
    For some is probably the credit card on the edge of the wallet 😄

So, going from the latest update about the tweeter, looks like this new speaker will still use the existing Sierra cabinet. Dave, is the new dome material sort of a cheaper approach to Beryllium, having great stiffness with higher break up modes? Also, looks like it can be crossed very low.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Question Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

[D.F.: Somehow, this tweeter combines some of the best characteristics of the SEAS White Diamond and RAAL ribbons. It isn’t as ribbon-like as a RAAL, nor is it as transparent and detailed as the White Diamond, but rather it is an interesting combination of performance characteristics that make it quite unique. In many ways, it is a ribbon-like dome tweeter, or dome-like ribbon tweeter, the perfect compromise in the middle of those two very different top-of-the-line tweeters.]

Excitement Dave...Great R&D work and all Very Cool!!!

If I may ask (thank you), have you put the Seas NrT on the NFS for a comparison between it and the Seas Titan 27TAC/GB, both appearing to be more standard top-end dome tweeters?

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 03-16-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Latest conclusions and pure speculations:
    -With the new tweeter capable of being crossed extremely low, and considering the design goal of high
    output, deep bass, slam factor, etc. I'm going to guess there's a new metal cone woofer.
    -Will use existing Sierra cabinets per Dave's comment: "The final nudge was that this tweeter, in stock
    format – fits into our existing cabinets with zero modification to the tweeter or cabinet!"
    -"Slightly under" the price of the Revel M106, which are about $2,200/pr, would put these over the 2EX.
    -Would the Sierra-1 still be offered? There's a huge price gap here.

I think that's all I've got at the moment. Anyone else with some theories?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I don’t know much about tweeters, but is it safe to say that the vertical dispersion of a round dome tweeter is the same as it’s horizontal dispersion? So what we see in the contour map you posted is both representative of the horizontal and vertical dispersion?

Very curious. I value the airiness of the RAAL ribbon tweeters over the other superior qualities of Revel Performas so it’s a question as to how much of that ribbon-like quality gets sacrificed! I also think a metal woofer. I’m also curious whether the Tower would get a full-on make-over as it sounds like a good step up for home theater. I’m hoping it is competitive against the Revel M126Be at half the cost.
    Last edited by bkdc; 03-16-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Exciting news! Love the aluminum magnesium tweeter. My old laptop had a magnesium chassis and was very light weight and rigid. My guess is the woofer is some kind of light weight woven or carbon fiber like material for that higher mid bass output.

As for a new woofer vs using the existing EX woofer, with the tweeter able to cross so low there would not be a need for the phase plug, which would also maximize cone area.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Where is the prepay button?!

If it used the same cabinet of the Sierra 1/2, would there be an upgrade path?

Also, I wonder how this speaker would match the existing RAAL speakers. Can it mix well in the front LCR soundstage (so it can be updated gradually)?