Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1077

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

Quote Originally Posted by teniie View Post
    This was my first step into the Sierra lineup, therefore I was worried about any upcoming updates to the original S1. Would the NrT version be taken out? I adore that tweeter and still do now. His idea of simply quitting everything and beginning again is, without a doubt, quite intriguing.
    I just completed this change to my towers...one Titan & NrT....they're different. I post some videos...not sure if they worked...via goggle link...I could email you videos to evaluate both on merit...plus the new crossover helps out the midrange as well
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Default Re: Big News! Something New, Something A Bit Different...

Quote Originally Posted by teniie View Post
    This was my first step into the Sierra lineup, therefore I was worried about any upcoming updates to the original S1. Would the NrT version be taken out? I adore that tweeter and still do now. His idea of simply quitting everything and beginning again is, without a doubt, quite intriguing.
    NrT upgrade is still an option for our Sierra-1 and we would be happy to build towers with the NrT dome as special order. However, the Titan tweeter is the better performer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Here's what I would say...

For bass, this is what I tell anyone without a sub with any speaker. A good sub, will play bass better than any speaker I know of that doesn't have a built-in powered sub. On top of that, you can place the sub in the better location in your room because the best location will not be the same location as your main speakers.

The bass in the LX is great, and I did not feel like it was lacking with the material I used, but I know there is stuff that it cannot reproduce as well as my Rythmik. I would love to listen to the LX with and without a well integrated sub. (disclaimer: I feel most people do not integrate their subs correctly). The LX had a tactile feel and punch in the bass that the 2EX didn't.
    I have heard this from many people and so, led to believe it’s true. However, I read several posts from folks that are crossing over their speakers at 50 and 60Hz. I know when I set up my system I wanted to set the cross over below 80Hz because a voice in my head told me you have rather large tower speakers (Revel F36 with a pair of Rythmik 12” subs) I should get my money’s worth and use them as deep as I can. However, after reading many folks saying you really should just set them at the THX recommendation of 80Hz, I did.

My question to those with their crossover below 80Hz, do you disagree with the above philosophy? Or do you think the sub(s) you own are not good enough quality to match the speaker’s ability between 50/60-80HZ?

By the way, I’m thinking of moving away from my Revel Concerta2 five speaker setup this fall. I’ve been pretty happy with them, but have the bug to change after a few years of ownership. One reason is superficial, I bought the speakers in white because there was a nice discount over black. I’m ready to move away from white. I’ve been investigating the Philharmonic speakers, however, after reading several comparisons with the LX’s, I came over to read through this thread. I’m not a big classical, acoustic, jazz etc…listener. Thus, the LX has my attention.
    Last edited by quattro_S4; 04-01-2023 at 09:40 AM.

I don't have any Ascends (yet), but I'll answer your question anyway. If you have the ability to measure your room (REW) it can help you decide. Don't forget that the room dominates your response below 200-300 Hz. My mains are Revel F206's and I go back and forth between 100 and 120 Hz. I get a large suckout between 80 and 100 Hz if I try anything lower. Between the higher crossover and the sub distance tweak my response is much better. There is definitely an improvement in the mid bass with my changes. Your ears can definitely tell you what you like/prefer, but tools like REW can be a huge help to get you started.

Port chuffing and resonating. IÂ’m playing Daft PunkÂ’s Solar Sailer from the Tron Legacy soundtrack some audible port chuff and resonance. IÂ’m playing with a healthy volume from my Marantz PM-10 and source is SA-10 DAC from Apple Music. Just to confirm, I played a 40hz pure sine wave on a tune generator app. The drivers look like they can take the power (similar to Totem Hawk lots of excursion from a tiny driver). This is a budget office system and PM-10 has no pre-output or internal xover capability. Suggestions, get new speakers or play at lower volumes? Plug the port with foam? I donÂ’t remember if has plugs or not. And I am running a Polk DSW microPRO 3000 subwoofer low pass is set to 50hz.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_S4 View Post
    My question to those with their crossover below 80Hz, do you disagree with the above philosophy? Or do you think the sub(s) you own are not good enough quality to match the speaker’s ability between 50/60-80HZ?
    It is just a recommendation, not a rule.
    You should try different crossover points and see what sounds best to you.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by mpitogo View Post
    Port chuffing and resonating. IÂ’m playing Daft PunkÂ’s Solar Sailer from the Tron Legacy soundtrack some audible port chuff and resonance. IÂ’m playing with a healthy volume from my Marantz PM-10 and source is SA-10 DAC from Apple Music. Just to confirm, I played a 40hz pure sine wave on a tune generator app. The drivers look like they can take the power (similar to Totem Hawk lots of excursion from a tiny driver). This is a budget office system and PM-10 has no pre-output or internal xover capability. Suggestions, get new speakers or play at lower volumes? Plug the port with foam? I donÂ’t remember if has plugs or not. And I am running a Polk DSW microPRO 3000 subwoofer low pass is set to 50hz.
    You could try the optional Q-plugs that Ascend sells (or play at lower volumes).

https://ascendacoustics.com/collecti...40527921840182
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
    I don't have any Ascends (yet), but I'll answer your question anyway. If you have the ability to measure your room (REW) it can help you decide. Don't forget that the room dominates your response below 200-300 Hz. My mains are Revel F206's and I go back and forth between 100 and 120 Hz. I get a large suckout between 80 and 100 Hz if I try anything lower. Between the higher crossover and the sub distance tweak my response is much better. There is definitely an improvement in the mid bass with my changes. Your ears can definitely tell you what you like/prefer, but tools like REW can be a huge help to get you started.
    Thanks, makes sense, I’ll play around with the cross over settings this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mpitogo View Post
    You should not be running the LX full range with a subwoofer, nor do I recommend running sine wave sweeps at frequencies below the port tune. The port tune frequency on the LX is 45Hz, as such - frequencies close to the port tune, especially at loud volume levels will produce the most output out of the port, thus the most air-turbulence. In addition, frequencies below 45Hz cause the woofer to be unloaded (no air-spring). This is how ported speakers function and unless you are very careful, you can damage the woofer running these types of sweeps below port tune.

Since you are using a subwoofer, you should be using a receiver or processor that offers bass management, such that you can cross the LX at between 60-80Hz. This will effectively reduce those low frequencies from reaching the speakers and properly send them to the subwoofer. This will also aid in achieving a proper blend between your speakers and subwoofer.

My recommendation, you should be high passing your speakers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

My recommendation, you should be high passing your speakers...
    Thanks. I’ll have to look into passive single order high pass filter options. My integrated amplifier doesn’t have any fancy features.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 | McIntosh MC452 | K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Rotel RA-1570 (Treble) | Rotel RB-1590 (Bass) | Marantz HD-CD1
    Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10
    above plus 3 multi-ch rooms and 2 stereo rooms