Thread: Speaker owner manual?

Default Speaker owner manual?

Hi, had my Sierra towers for long while now! Been moving around placement again. I was always wondering in the manual for step 1 and 5 are those number to just the back and side of the speakers. Or is that to the acoustical center, ie the center of the woofers. I always wondered which way you wrote it for?

Best Regards!

Default Re: Speaker owner manual?

Huh? Lol

When I positioned my speakers, I used a tape measure.... I ran the free end of the tape to the wall and ran the tape measure case above the speaker, measuring out to the front of the speaker, centered on the baffle at the acoustical center.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    When I positioned my speakers, I used a tape measure.... I ran the free end of the tape to the wall and ran the tape measure case above the speaker, measuring out to the front of the speaker, centered on the baffle at the acoustical center.
    That is how I normal measure as well. I was just curious what the numbers Dave had printed in the manual was going by acoustical center as well. As does not state in the manually clearly. Just something I was curious about.

Maybe @davef can chime in.
    Last edited by AR2ax man; 03-07-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AR2ax man View Post
    Hi, had my Sierra towers for long while now! Been moving around placement again. I was always wondering in the manual for step 1 and 5 are those number to just the back and side of the speakers. Or is that to the acoustical center, ie the center of the woofers. I always wondered which way you wrote it for?

Best Regards!
    Happy to help but I am not sure I follow you on this. Please clarify and thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to help but I am not sure I follow you on this. Please clarify and thanks in advance!
    Hi Dave. I was always curious in the owners manual at step 1 and step 5. Step 1 says have speaker 1 to 2 feet from wall behind, and step 5 doing the .72 equation to figure out the width speakers should be apart. If those where to apply to distance from acoustic center of speaker or you where just referencing to the back and side walls of the speakers. I am assuming the later, as if was Acoustic center the step 1 would be really close to the wall behind at the starting point. But I do not want to assume.

Thanks for your time!

Hi Dave. I was always curious in the owners manual at step 1 and step 5. Step 1 says have speaker 1 to 2 feet from wall behind, and step 5 doing the .72 equation to figure out the width speakers should be apart. If those where to apply to distance from acoustic center of speaker or you where just referencing to the back and side walls of the speakers. I am assuming the later, as if was Acoustic center the step 1 would be really close to the wall behind at the starting point. But I do not want to assume.

Thanks for your time!
    Those setup recommendations are just general rule of thumbs. Distance from wall behind the speaker should be measured from the back of the speaker cabinet to the wall.

As far as left/right separation distance, that would be determined from the middle of the tweeter. However, it is different with ribbons due to having such wide horizontal dispersion.

Always experiment with placement and go with whatever sounds best in your room from your main listening position.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Those setup recommendations are just general rule of thumbs. Distance from wall behind the speaker should be measured from the back of the speaker cabinet to the wall.

As far as left/right separation distance, that would be determined from the middle of the tweeter. However, it is different with ribbons due to having such wide horizontal dispersion.

Always experiment with placement and go with whatever sounds best in your room from your main listening position.
    Thanks! My over analytical brain after reading the manual again after a few years was just pondering how you wrote it. As I was changing around my room again and was just revisiting things.

Thanks! My over analytical brain after reading the manual again after a few years was just pondering how you wrote it. As I was changing around my room again and was just revisiting things.
    No worries That manual is dated and needs a re-write.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com