Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best sub for S2EX, Music + HT?

Default Re: Best sub for S2EX, Music + HT?

Thanks Pogre.
    I guess we are back to my original question; which sub under $1,000? What would I gain/lose by going for the ported vs the sealed? I do not need to reproduce the lowest of lows, but I do need balance and punch.

Thanks

Have you called Ascend to get their recommendation (or even Brian/Enrico at Rythmik)?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Have you called Ascend to get their recommendation (or even Brian/Enrico at Rythmik)?
    This. Those guys are going to be most knowledgeable, of course.

In a room your size, and depending on your goals I definitely lean toward ported subs, but again, depends on your goals. Like I hinted on the first page I think one of the ported 15" models (FV 15HP/SE or FVX15) would likely match up to the one you have now. The LVX12 would be next closest. If you want to switch to sealed I'd recommend going dual.

Before you take my word for it tho, give 'em a call and see what they suggest.

First tho, I'd start by experimenting with the one you have now. Run a fresh calibration, change the setting to small and crossovers at 80 hz. Try it with Audyssey turned on and off. The levels and distances will still stick even with Audyssey turned off. You may find a higher crossover fills in what you're missing. That is if your sub can handle it, which it should, unless something is wrong with it.

If you go with a Rythmik, see if a paper cone is available fot the model you choose as, from what I’ve read on AVS Rythmik thread, this has a bit more output in the upper bass region than the aluminum cones.

I do like pogre’s recommendations above but believe all are above your 1k target. Maybe save a bit more and cry once. Could always add a 2nd later if needed.

Other options could be the E22 or maybe 2x12 inch subs. If your goals are punchy and more even bass, then you’ll probably want 2 subs (same model).

FWIW, I run 2 E15’s in my room 16x12x11) which is open to a foyer/dining room behind (dining is same size as listening room) and to den on left (~24x20). These work really well for music and movies.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 03-17-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks for the input folks.

You’re welcome. Let us know what you decide

I'm curious about your current sub. If it isn't capable above 60 hz then I would presume something is wrong with it and needs replaced. I suspect it likely performs fine above 60 hz but I'm not there and it's possible your sub might have issues.

Provided everything is functioning properly and set up carefully tho, I think a higher crossover would shore up the deficiencies you're perceiving,

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    So, I'm questioning which sub will better mate with the EXs? The L22, or the F8 (Not sure what the FM8 difference is?), thinking the F8 could be used for upper bass, with my old Legacy handling the lows. Or is there a better option? I do realize that the upper bass is directional, but that's a secondary concern behind smoothing out the room response. Want to keep it under $1000.
    Thanks
    If smoothing out the room response is your first concern, this is typically handled by two separate subs. It's much easier to control room modes with two subs.

If what you want is subs for both HT and music, I'd go for a pair of ported servo subs. In my case, I bought a pair of LVX12s to go with my Sierra 2 L/R pair, Sierra 1s as surrounds, and a Duo for center. My room is a little narrower than yours, but the other dimensions are about the same. The LVX12's work excellently for smoothing out room response, at least for me.

The reason for the ported servo subs is that with servos, the sound difference between ported and sealed for music is narrowed considerably. But HT needs the ported subs to reach down to that lowest octave with some authority. Without servo subs, it's a more difficult decision, but with servo subs, ported wins out, and fairly easily, at least for me.

Servo subs also make it very easy to integrate the subs into your system. Well, that and your Audyssey system.

So, back to your question: choose between L22 and FM8... The FM8s won't likely help you much given the bottom end of the Sierra-2 EX speakers. If you were using Lunas, maybe. But S-2 EX? I don't think so. As to the L22, one more powerful sub won't smooth out room response without a lot of sub-crawling and probably some room treatments. Better to have two smaller subs, sealed or ported doesn't matter so much as long as they are separates and can be located separately. But if I have to choose only between FM8 or L22, I'll take the L22.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    The reason for the ported servo subs is that with servos, the sound difference between ported and sealed for music is narrowed considerably. But HT needs the ported subs to reach down to that lowest octave with some authority. Without servo subs, it's a more difficult decision, but with servo subs, ported wins out, and fairly easily, at least for me.
    Servo subs are cool, but a modern approach with computer modeling, newer drivers and advanced design the tech has narrowed the gap very significantly in the last 15 years and has pretty much caught up.

That said, Rhythmik make very good subs and you can't go wrong with them. I agree a pair of LVX12s would likely work out really well for op, but his stated budget of $1000 kinda nixes that idea. I am wondering tho, if a single LVX12 would be able to blend well enough with his current sub, but we don't have a lot of info on that one. They likely have similar tuning tho, and both are ported.

I whole heartedly agree with you about the FM8 or L22. I'd pass altogether on the FM8. The L22 I would want 2 of them at a minimum. A single L22 I'm afraid won't cut it, and I wouldn't want to try integrating it with the current ported sub he has now.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Thanks Pogre.
    I guess we are back to my original question; which sub under $1,000? What would I gain/lose by going for the ported vs the sealed? I do not need to reproduce the lowest of lows, but I do need balance and punch.

Thanks
    I kind of missed this question. In your budget, the LVX12, and depending on the state of your current sub, a 2nd one down the road.

First I would try experimenting with your current sub, do a fresh calibration and try a higher crossover. If you want more punch, that's happening above 60 hz. If it's still functioning properly I think you might be able to blend the LVX12 to work with it. If it is truly not functioning properly, as in won't play well above 60 hz, then run with the single LVX12 and save up for a 2nd one.

With careful placement and good integration I think you can make a single LVX12 work very well, at least in the general main seating area. A second one will help you widen and balance that sweet spot even better. A single can work very well too tho.