Thread: Best sub for S2EX, Music + HT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Best sub for S2EX, Music + HT?

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    and no, it does not play anything above 60-70Hz very well
    If that is true then you likely need to replace that sub. A good sub that still performs within spec should be capable of producing clean bass well above 60 hz. This makes me think there's something wrong with your sub.

But still, i would not try to overlap upper bass, but use the Legacy for only signals below like 50-60 for extra punch.
    That "punch" is going to come from higher frequencies than 60 hz and below. This is why I recommend trying a higher crossover. If your current sub can't handle it then I'd replace it and start over.
    Last edited by Pogre; 03-11-2022 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks Pogre.
    I guess we are back to my original question; which sub under $1,000? What would I gain/lose by going for the ported vs the sealed? I do not need to reproduce the lowest of lows, but I do need balance and punch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Thanks Pogre.
    I guess we are back to my original question; which sub under $1,000? What would I gain/lose by going for the ported vs the sealed? I do not need to reproduce the lowest of lows, but I do need balance and punch.

Thanks
    I kind of missed this question. In your budget, the LVX12, and depending on the state of your current sub, a 2nd one down the road.

First I would try experimenting with your current sub, do a fresh calibration and try a higher crossover. If you want more punch, that's happening above 60 hz. If it's still functioning properly I think you might be able to blend the LVX12 to work with it. If it is truly not functioning properly, as in won't play well above 60 hz, then run with the single LVX12 and save up for a 2nd one.

With careful placement and good integration I think you can make a single LVX12 work very well, at least in the general main seating area. A second one will help you widen and balance that sweet spot even better. A single can work very well too tho.