Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Tower w/RAAL in room response question

Default Re: Sierra Tower w/RAAL in room response question

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    Yeah, I ran into that once or twice when moving the sub around, but got that procedure down. I made sure the sub is definitely on. To me the music sounds pretty good. Low freq. tracks like Hotel California Live/MTV 1994 kick drum sounds tight with good thump, mids and upper freq have great clarity, great detail. I wanted to use REW as an objective way to find the best speaker orientation for the room/space I have (it is rather large and irregular shaped due to adjoining room). I do zero HT with this setup, but also wondered how much of a difference a bigger sub (or additional one) would make given what I see in the REW output and also what others have found doing measurements in their rooms. I have included REW data below for my two different room orientation options (south and east). They seem similar in values, but I am a little new at interpreting results from REW. Any thoughts on my setup would be most welcomed!!

spl of both south and east main speaker positions:

Attachment 2282
    Are these measurements with or without the subwoofer?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Those are with the subwoofer. I did readings without the subwoofer as well but did not upload any of those....Jim
    Speakers: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Rythmik L12 sub
    Pre/Amp: HK3490 (120w)
    Source: Schiit Modi 3+, Tidal HD

Those are with the subwoofer. I did readings without the subwoofer as well but did not upload any of those....Jim
    I would be interested in seeing what those look like, as well as the subwoofer alone.
    -curtis

Hi Jim,

Please post or forward to me the measurements of just the subwoofer alone and each tower speaker (no subwoofer). Make sure the position of your microphone is at your main listening position and does not change for the various measurements.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

I will run those exact tests and get you the mdat file. I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with how the umik1 is picking up data (or how my laptop / umik1 are interacting). I checked REW preferences, calibration file selected, REW sweep notes and everything looks correct. The readings do not seem to reflect what I am hearing in my room, but being my first bunch of REW sweeps I don't have any frame of reference for the readings.

Dave,

I will run those exact tests and get you the mdat file. I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with how the umik1 is picking up data (or how my laptop / umik1 are interacting). I checked REW preferences, calibration file selected, REW sweep notes and everything looks correct. The readings do not seem to reflect what I am hearing in my room, but being my first bunch of REW sweeps I don't have any frame of reference for the readings.
    Jim, make sure the subwoofer's auto-on feature is turned off and the power is set to "ON" not "Auto". It is not possible for the sub to turn on instantly when the sweep starts, and even if it turns on a few milliseconds after the sweep starts, the measurement will not register properly.

With that steep bass roll off at 100Hz, there is no way you would be satisfied with the bass you hearing.

Also, please post the measurements. I only have REQ Wizard on an old laptop which I do not have here at the office.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Will do with the sub switch - I have run into that. I will also just post the sweeps again here as well. The more I read and think about it, the more convinced I am that there is a problem with how my laptop integrates with the umik1 (certainly at frequencies under 100hz and likely across the spectrum). Soundcard interference, driver issues, windows 10, etc, etc). There have been people that have described similar REW issues using the brand/type of laptop that I am using.

Well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Just on a hunch, I took an older laptop that had less manufacturer device add-on's (ie. Realtech) and had both 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports, attached my Modi 3+ Dac and Umik1, set it up in my main listening position and ran a quick sweep from 10Hz - 20kHz - FLAT RESPONSE CURVE END TO END!!!! I am not sure where the problem lies with respect to my original laptop, but this laptop yields frequency response data more like what I was expecting. I am still playing around with the Umik1 connections to usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 on this laptop (they seem to behave slightly different, but I am not sure just yet). Once I am convinced that I have the setup on this new laptop correct, I will be running some controlled sweeps of my tower/sub setup and re-post them here. I think the insidious thing about this whole exercise is that the Umik1 partially worked. Had it not worked at all, I could have spent my time fixing a real problem instead of chasing my tail for 2 weeks.

I believe the problem with REW / Umik1 on my original laptop was the Windows input device setting check box "enable audio enhancements". I had this unchecked originally, but somehow it defaulted back to checked or selected (unplug/replug, reboot, I don't know)

From REW help doc:

There seems to be a growing trend for Windows laptops and PCs to apply noise cancellation processing to stereo microphone inputs, suppressing the content that is common to both channels. With USB microphones like the UMIK-1 the signal is the same on both channels, so it is all common content, and may be heavily suppressed.

Now, having a correctly operating REW tool/Umik1, I ran through the process of integrating the Rythmik L12 with the Sierra Towers again. What a difference!!!! I was able to run a series of sweeps dialing in delay/phase, crossover and gain. I was even able to add a peq setting on the L12 to soften a single peak in the 35Hz area.

I may rerun through some of the speaker position/room orientation sweeps again this coming week, but things look much better now - it always sounded great!

Big thanks to Ed, Dave and Curtis for helping me out here!!!!

Dave - being that the REW data I posted earlier in this thread is garbage, do you want me to remove it or replace it with legitimate REW data?

Here is a quick post of my new data (room setup as I originally diagramed):

rew-spl-feb3.jpg

rew-waterfall-feb3.jpg

Glad you got it figured out and dialed in, Jim.
    Robert
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD