Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Sierra Tower w/RAAL in room response question

Default Re: Sierra Tower w/RAAL in room response question

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I get what you’re thinking but in real life practice, unless you were good at creating the proper filters manually, it’d be pretty difficult. I personally like to start with having as flat of a frequency response as I can get for both the speakers and sub and let the proper crossover slopes allow them to summate to be flat (no different than how you would design a speaker with two drivers). That means I EQ first, then get the phase between speakers and sub aligned as much as possible over the crossover range. You could do it the way you suggested but now you’re running sweeps that have combined outputs of the speakers and sub and then trying to just EQ one to affect the summed response in the crossover region. Not impossible to do but not the preferred method in my opinion. Much easier to EQ both separately then phase align them after.
    With REW, you create the EQ curve you desire and REW creates the filters. You simply export them and load them onto your DSP device, in my case the MiniDSP 2x4HD.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    With REW, you create the EQ curve you desire and REW creates the filters. You simply export them and load them onto your DSP device, in my case the MiniDSP 2x4HD.
    Exactly. If you want to go that route (have REW generate the filters), you want to do it the way I suggested where you EQ the sub by itself first… it wouldn’t work properly if your measurement was a combined sub and speaker sweep. There’s no tangible benefit (especially if you have multiple subs) to try to do any phase alignment with mains before getting the subs set up properly. I’m fact, with multiple subs, that is strictly impossible to do if you want to do it the proper way.

I've spent a lot of time learning to use REW and a MiniDSP and have managed to get some great results.

06-22-20 final fr_copy_615x249.jpg

06-22-20 waterfall_copy_615x309.jpg

After I get it nice and flat I do my house curve.

06-22-20 house curve_copy_615x249.jpg

There's a bit of a learning curve but it was definitely worth the effort for me. My "before" is pretty bad.

Looks very good! How many EQ filters did REW generate? Did you equalize the entire range or limit filters to below a certain freq?
    Speakers: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Rythmik L12 sub
    Pre/Amp: HK3490 (120w)
    Source: Schiit Modi 3+, Tidal HD

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    Looks very good! How many EQ filters did REW generate? Did you equalize the entire range or limit filters to below a certain freq?
    Thank you! I've put some time into it.

I limit to below 400 hz and focus on bass frequencies. I don't remember how many filters were generated but there are a few.

I run Audyssey first and it gets me pretty close. After that I do my sweeps, generate my filters in REW and do just a tiny bit of tweaking after that. I have 3 big subs in my room too and they're pretty responsive to adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I've spent a lot of time learning to use REW and a MiniDSP and have managed to get some great results.

06-22-20 final fr_copy_615x249.jpg

06-22-20 waterfall_copy_615x309.jpg

After I get it nice and flat I do my house curve.

06-22-20 house curve_copy_615x249.jpg

There's a bit of a learning curve but it was definitely worth the effort for me. My "before" is pretty bad.
    Looks great!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com