Thread: Home was remodeled and I'm starting over - Advice requested

Default Home was remodeled and I'm starting over - Advice requested

Hello,

12w x 15d, open to the rear (great room, on the smallish side. Open to the kitchen).

I have the 65"TV, the BDI cabinet, and Sierra 2's all around and an older HSU MKII sub. I'm considering trying something new regarding all else. I've owned Marantz, Onkyo, and Denon and all have been integrated receivers.

I still have a Denon AVR-X4300H, a Sony BlueRay (forget the model) for SACD stuff, and an Xbox One X.

Ideas welcome if you could imagine the above and wanting an upgrade/change. Sorry, 70% movies 30% music (when I do listen to music it's important).

Cheers,
    Drew

Default Re: Home was remodeled and I'm starting over - Advice requested

What's your budget?
    Without knowing, some suggestions:
    * As to AVR, may want to look into the new Anthems or go separates, eg. AVM70 + amp (Monoprice Monolith are nice).
    * Maybe upgrade the Sierra 2's to the 2EX, particularly starting with the Front L/R
    * assume you are also running the S2 as a center -- maybe upgrade that to the 2EX or Horizon
    * maybe upgrade sub to a Rythmik or two (particularly for music, but also for movies).

I appreciate that. $3k for starters. I suspect I'll focus on separates but I'm completely unfamiliar. I can upgrade the Sierras a little further down the road. I'm definitely looking for a couple of subs (will sell the HSU). The one in the rear near the sofa will need to be on the smallish side. I suppose most are smaller than my HSU.
    I'll take a look at Anthem.

The Rythmik E15's are relatively small for a sub with a 15" driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post
    I appreciate that. $3k for starters. I suspect I'll focus on separates but I'm completely unfamiliar. I can upgrade the Sierras a little further down the road. I'm definitely looking for a couple of subs (will sell the HSU). The one in the rear near the sofa will need to be on the smallish side. I suppose most are smaller than my HSU.
    I'll take a look at Anthem.
    Separates are fine and possibly needed at high volume levels but a speaker upgrade will be more noticeable imo.
    Nate

I know Emotiva prepro are a touchy subject for some, but they have just released a new one for $999, the MC-1. Delivery starts in January.

That, combined with one of their amps, like the A5 or the Outlaw 5000x for a bit more power headroom (and money &#128516 for a 5ch system, would cost about the same as an integrated of comparable rated power, but with the advantages of separates.

The Emotiva MC-1 is a 13.2 prepro, so you can expand at your heart content buying any multichannel amps you prefer.

Another path, a little more "creative", could be to get a NAD T-758 v3 (only AVR I am aware of with Dirac, if that is of interest), which is a 7.1 receiver, and buy an external 3ch amp for L/C/R should you want more power in the front for HT and you are fine with a 7ch system.

Lots of options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    I know Emotiva prepro are a touchy subject for some, but they have just released a new one for $999, the MC-1. Delivery starts in January.

That, combined with one of their amps, like the A5 or the Outlaw 5000x for a bit more power headroom (and money &#128516 for a 5ch system, would cost about the same as an integrated of comparable rated power, but with the advantages of separates.

The Emotiva MC-1 is a 13.2 prepro, so you can expand at your heart content buying any multichannel amps you prefer.

Another path, a little more "creative", could be to get a NAD T-758 v3 (only AVR I am aware of with Dirac, if that is of interest), which is a 7.1 receiver, and buy an external 3ch amp for L/C/R should you want more power in the front for HT and you are fine with a 7ch system.

Lots of options out there.
    From personal experience, I would stay away from Emotiva, especially their pre/pros.

Some Onkyo and Pioneer receivers now have Dirac.
    https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...get-dirac-live
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis, I wasn't aware that more AVRs with Dirac had become available. The more the merrier!

The Pioneer VSX-LX505 ELITE looks interesting for the price. Besides Dirac it comes with HDMI 2.1, Sonos integration, Roon-tested and bi-directional Bluetooth with multiple CODEC support.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    From personal experience, I would stay away from Emotiva, especially their pre/pros.

Some Onkyo and Pioneer receivers now have Dirac.
    https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...get-dirac-live
    Curtis beat me to it...stay far away from Emotiva pre/pros. Their amps are ok although not so sure about the current XPA's with switching power supply. My opinion is based on personal experience, as well.

Happy holidays to all