Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center for Sierrra 1s and or CBM170s

Default Re: Center for Sierrra 1s and or CBM170s

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Dave,
    Thanks for the update on Dina. Good news that the rapid Covid test was negative, as well as the flu. Hope the PCR also comes back negative! Hope she is getting better.
    Robert
    Thanks for caring! All good news, PCR test came back negative and Dina is back to being Dina, handling the day to day like the pro she is.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    Thanks - So I could use the 340 center untill I come by the spare money for the S1 center and then move the 340 over to the CBMs. I am using an almost decent unnamed surround speaker for a TV and movie center now - but music really suffers unless I turn it off.
    Excellent plan!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thanks for caring! All good news, PCR test came back negative and Dina is back to being Dina, handling the day to day like the pro she is.
    Thanks for the update on Dina, Dave. Glad she is Covid free and back to normal. She had called me earlier this week for an update on my Horizon order and sounded like Dina.

A further question or two - this may be bordering on silly -

I will soon have the 340 center that I will run between the S1 right and left. It will sound pretty good, but I am sure the S1 center would be better. I am probably losing a little running the 340 center with the L/R for music. I could turn the center off, but I just don't bother usually. Plus, for surround - one typically wants a center. Maybe for all music too - something about it sounds good so far - even though I am waiting for a replacement woofer for one side of the 340 center to arrive.

Does it make sense to get a S1 center and that is it? Or maybe future-proof a little and get a better center and eventually go up to better left/right speakers?

Center options:
    S1 center $438
    Luna center $588,
    Duo center $798
    S2 center $738
    S2EX center for $838
    (all might go on sale at some point - which might push the decision)

Would running one of the better of those centers mix ok with S1 left/right while I save up for the next upgrade?

Is it always a case of the lowest common denominator? That is - no matter how good a center is, the system will still sound like the weakest part - the S1s (and my current system will still sound like 340s, not the S1s?). I think I read this somewhere, but I am not sure if I buy that.

Feel free to point out the silliness of any of these ideas.
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

As long as the left/right and center are closely timber matched, I think you'll be ok, particularly for movies. I'd consider saving and getting the best center you can (eg the S2EX or save even more and go for the Horizon, especially if you watch a lot of movies. I've gone from the S2 to Duo and now waiting on my Horizon. Good, better, and likely best, based on reviews of the Horizon. Should've started with the Horizon but hindsight is 20-20. Was able to sell the S2 center & will see what to do with the Duo once the Horizon arrives.

I rarely listen to music in surround - strictly 2 channel. So, no comments there other than listen to however you prefer.