Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center for Sierrra 1s and or CBM170s

Default Center for Sierrra 1s and or CBM170s

I am cheap, I will admit it. Daughter in college - trying to save some money. I like to watch movies and they are awfully loud and then soft as you all know without a center (at least that is my understanding).

I have a pair of Sierra 1s with two subs and would like to get a center. I also have a pair of old cbm170s in another room and could use a center.

Is the CMT-340c a match for either? How about the Duo center?

Thanks for any help for a lazy, cheap Ascend speaker lover. Both the cbms and the Sierra 1s still sound very good to me for music.

Default Re: Center for Sierrra 1s and or CBM170s

I suppose the Sierra 1 center matches the S1s better. Just noticed those.

And the CMT 340c is made for the 170s?

Generally, any of the Ascends would be ok for center use, IMO. Obviously, the S1 center is the same as your S1's. You could probably use the CBM on its side with your CBMs. All depends on your budget.

I've gone from S2 center (with my S2's and then Towers) to Duo center (which was a step up over the S2 IMO) to eventually a Horizon RAAL (ordered and waiting somewhat patiently ;-) ).

I find movies are still loud then soft even with a center - it's how they are mixed. So adding a center likely won't resolve that issue, but (IMO) having a center makes for a better movie experience with the dialog firmly centered, effects, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I've gone from S2 center (with my S2's and then Towers) to Duo center (which was a step up over the S2 IMO) to eventually a Horizon RAAL (ordered and waiting somewhat patiently ;-) ).
    Hey, congrats! I missed that you were waiting on a Horizon. I've had mine a couple of months now and love it. I was using an S2 for a center channel also, and it did very well but the Horizon matches the towers' timbre and dynamics so perfectly it's difficult to tell the difference flipping between phantom and center mode when sitting on axis. It's just a little bit more locked in when it's on. As great as the S2 did pulling center duty, the Horizon is as near perfect as you can get for matching up with the towers. It really is like having a third one for the job. I'm super happy with it. I know you will be too! I'm gonna keep an eye out for your "it's here!" post.

thanks, Pogre.

No ETA as of yet - still waiting on their domestic cabinet maker per my touchbase with Dina today. Hope I'm not out of the country when it's ready to ship.

Get well soon, Dina! She's out ill for those of you who may have called Ascend in the last few days and waiting for a return call.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post

Get well soon, Dina! She's out ill for those of you who may have called Ascend in the last few days and waiting for a return call.
    Yeah, unfortunately she is very sick right now. She just got back from getting multiple tests, negative for rapid Covid test (thankfully!) and also negative for flu. We are just waiting for PCR test results (24 hours)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    I suppose the Sierra 1 center matches the S1s better. Just noticed those.

And the CMT 340c is made for the 170s?
    our 340 center actually works well with almost all of our speakers, however, the Sierra-1 is the better center choice for you since you have S1's.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    Thanks for the update on Dina. Good news that the rapid Covid test was negative, as well as the flu. Hope the PCR also comes back negative! Hope she is getting better.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    our 340 center actually works well with almost all of our speakers, however, the Sierra-1 is the better center choice for you since you have S1's.
    Thanks - So I could use the 340 center untill I come by the spare money for the S1 center and then move the 340 over to the CBMs. I am using an almost decent unnamed surround speaker for a TV and movie center now - but music really suffers unless I turn it off.

I visited in 2015 and listened to the S2s - but I was mabye so travel weary that I had trouble comparing the S2s to my S1s. They sounded great, but I am still regularly enthralled with the S1s, and even the CBMs for that matter.

I think Dina was there at that time? And she set up the S2s for me. Hope she is feeling better.

@donaldekelly that sounds like a good plan since you are looking for centers for both systems.