Thread: Sierra-1 Speaker Placement for Music in a Suboptimal Room

Default Sierra-1 Speaker Placement for Music in a Suboptimal Room

Hello! A few weeks back I bought a trio of Sierra-1 speakers for a 3.1 system, paired with the following:

• Denon AVR-650 receiver
    • SVS SB-1000 Pro sub
    • Apple Music lossless via Apple TV

I'm trying to determine the best speaker placement given my suboptimal room. I've been experimenting and am looking for guidance.

Some relevant background: I used my receiver's built-in Audessy calibration program, then overrode the crossover to be 80hz with speakers set to small.

Placements:

L/R are on tabletop stands with tweeters at ear level. They are 59" apart center-to-center. The center is horizontal on top of the TV console on foam pads angled up 10˚ towards me.

My listening position is 80" from the grille on the center speaker.

The room is a 9x9' square, with one side open to the kitchen/living area. I don't have much room to move the L/R speakers further apart or one would be in a walking corridor.

What I've tried so far:

Speakers straight ahead. This is my current placement. The soundstage leaves something to be desired. It's much more like listening to two discrete speakers than getting a full rich soundstage.

Speakers toed in. This was my first attempt and I think I need to try it again.

Speakers toed out. Excellent soundstage, but sounds from the left speaker were quieter than from the right, even at the same levels. When toed out, the left speaker is aimed right at a window (maybe 4' away).

So, a few goals and questions:

1. What can I do to improve the soundstage given my limitations on speaker placement?
    2. What music do people here like for exploring a soundstage? I've been using a mix of Pink Floyd, Sufjan Stevens and Radiohead to test this.
    Last edited by ryan_co; 09-19-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Sierra-1 Speaker Placement for Music in a Suboptimal Room

Some progress: I think some of my soundstage issues were the result of my receiver reprocessing 2-channel music to surround. I've disabled that and am so far enjoying the results much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_co View Post
    Some progress: I think some of my soundstage issues were the result of my receiver reprocessing 2-channel music to surround. I've disabled that and am so far enjoying the results much better.
    That's good, Regarding imaging, I like DMB Crash, and Nickel Creek Ode to a Butterfly
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_co View Post
    Have you compare the difference between "Direct" and "Stereo" mode? Not sure what to expect between the two, but based on the description, "Direct" mode seems to be AVR taking analog signal from the source, go through the internal amplifier and out to speakers, where "Stereo" is taking the digital signal from the source and use the AVR internal DA converter for the analog signal before sending the analog signal to the internal amplifier then out to speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Have you compare the difference between "Direct" and "Stereo" mode? Not sure what to expect between the two, but based on the description, "Direct" mode seems to be AVR taking analog signal from the source, go through the internal amplifier and out to speakers, where "Stereo" is taking the digital signal from the source and use the AVR internal DA converter for the analog signal before sending the analog signal to the internal amplifier then out to speaker.
    My only music source is digital so I don't have any way to compare those. I'm using Apple Music in lossless via an Apple TV over HDMI.

Hi Ryan,

If possible, please post a picture of the front of your room showing the speakers.

Also, it is always best to test / tweak speaker positioning using an actual CD or DVD.

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com