Thread: Hello from CO

Default Hello from CO

Hello! I'm a new owner of a trio of Sierra-1s! I just stepped up from a soundbar to a proper 3.1 audio system:

• Sierra-1s across the front
    • Denon AVR-650H
    • SVS SB-1000 Pro
    • Apple Music Lossless as music source

I'm only able to have the L/R speakers about 7' apart, so I have themtoed-out slightly with tweeters at ear level.

I've had them for about a week now and I'm very happy. Took a lot of fiddling with position to really dial in the soundstage but I'm happy with this setup. I'll probably play around some more once I'm more used to the speakers.

Currently enjoying Tommy.

At some point I plan to add a pair of HTM-200s as surrounds, but that'll be a little down the road.

Default Re: Hello from CO

Welcome to the Ascend family ryan_co!

My Sierra-2EX's began life as an original (circa 2007) pair of Sierra-1's which have seen every upgrade of the series (Sierra-1NrT//Sierra-2//Sierra-2EX). Each version gives you a nice bump in performance, so when you get the itch to upgrade you won't have to scrap the entire speaker and will be less costly. At least that's how it was for me. Of course, staying with the Sierra-1's is not too shabby either and will definitely keep more money in your wallet!

In regards to your toe-out layout, how far from the speakers do you sit? My speakers are about the same distance between them, but I sit fairly nearfield and have my EX's toed in slightly so that I can still see the inner side of each speaker.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Here's my room!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I sit about 8 feet away. I'm trying to upload a photo but it keeps failing, I'll try again this evening.

It's a living room setup and the room layout isn't the greatest acoustically so I'm somewhat limited. It's essentially a three-sided rectangle, with the fourth side open to the kitchen and dining area.

I do have a spare room I could convert to a listening space. It's a basic rectangle shape and fully enclosed. Now you have me thinking about moving the Sierras down there for music and going with a set of 170s or 200s in the living room for 5.1 TV and movies.
    Last edited by ryan_co; 09-15-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Certain rooms can definitely be a challenge. Even though your left and right speakers are close together, I'd point them straight forward, not angled outwards.
    Nate

I'm still playing with different positions. I imagine it'll take me at least a few weeks to settle on one.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_co View Post
    Very nice!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com