Thread: Another Sierra-2EX Upgrade Believer

Smile Another Sierra-2EX Upgrade Believer

I hesitated to post "yet another Sierra-2EX review" because of the excellent posts like those by theophile and SunByrne, but what the heck, this is sort of like telling your friends you too found the new favorite ice-cream place.

Executive Summary: If you are considering the upgrade from Sierra-2 to Sierra-2EX, do not hesitate. This is not a minor tweak, and I believe it to be 100% worth it.

I was going to do careful A/B blind comparison tests so I could legitimately support the executive summary of this post, but when the upgrade package arrived, I couldn't help myself. I immediately did the upgrade, then strategically waited for my wife to leave the house before "the test run".

Jennifer Thomas' "Flight of The Phoenix" has some great low horns (think like fog horns) that were a great exerciser for the new woofers. Lovely, nearly goose-bumpily. If you have a quality audio source, these speakers simply shine with musical content.

Movies: check - The Greatest Showman and Spiderman Homecoming were next. Sound effects and music tracks sound great. I have a 5.1.4 setup with 5 Sierra-2EX speakers in a large acoustically challenged basement room. But the home theater experience was excellent. Not once did I need to crank up the amp to "11" in order to get the fullness that I am after.

Streaming - Sounds silly but I streamed Disney's new Turner and Hooch and found myself immersed several times in the audio track, like in the opening credits and a few spots during several episodes. I would catch myself realizing that the sound was just so good.

I am curious about what some of you have used to exercise/test/demo these speakers...

Final Impression: When I first read about the 2EX upgrade, I was concerned it might be minor and incremental. However, even without my "scientific" A/B blind test, I am convinced the upgrade was well worth the effort. I can't believe sound this good, clear, and full comes out of a box that size. If there were a prize for best sound per cubic inch, these speakers would have to win hands down.

Thumbs up Re: Another Sierra-2EX Upgrade Believer

Loafer,

Great to "Hear" Your S-2EX review!

Moving to the Sierra-2EX from the Sierra-1Nrt was also a huge Ear Opener!

Believe you'll find the bass definition, punch, depth and speed even greater after the first 100 hours or so of break-in...ENJOY and thanks for your take on the 2EX!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Another Sierra-2EX Upgrade Believer

Just curious and a bit off topic...in terms of bass definition, punch, transient speed and depth of sound would likely not be as dramatic from the standard to raal towers... considering they each share a dedicated mid range and are 3 way designs. I've contemplated doing a upgrade but I might wait and see what Dave will do with the towers...if or when he tests them on the "new" Klippel device to further improve them.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I have to imagine the towers have more "cowbell" than the bookshelf S2-EX, but it was not an option for me. 15 years ago I designed my first home theater with 5 Cambridge Soundworks in-wall speakers and my wife liked the "uncluttered" look. I had to "upsell" her on the idea of the Sierra-2's, but was able to do it when I explained to her the cabinets looked like small pieces of furniture! Even if I could overcome the WAF, I am now in a space where I cannot fit the towers. In terms of a bookshelf form factor, I am very happy with the Sierra-2EXs and amazed at the sound they produce.

I have debated about upgrading the center S2EX to an Horizon or Duo, but there have been a lot of "it depends" in the postings as to whether they would be "noticeably" better, so unless I can find a dramatic testimonial, I will probably stick with the 5 S2EXs.

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    I hesitated to post "yet another Sierra-2EX review" because of the excellent posts like those by theophile and SunByrne, but what the heck, this is sort of like telling your friends you too found the new favorite ice-cream place.

Executive Summary: If you are considering the upgrade from Sierra-2 to Sierra-2EX, do not hesitate. This is not a minor tweak, and I believe it to be 100% worth it.

I was going to do careful A/B blind comparison tests so I could legitimately support the executive summary of this post, but when the upgrade package arrived, I couldn't help myself. I immediately did the upgrade, then strategically waited for my wife to leave the house before "the test run".

Jennifer Thomas' "Flight of The Phoenix" has some great low horns (think like fog horns) that were a great exerciser for the new woofers. Lovely, nearly goose-bumpily. If you have a quality audio source, these speakers simply shine with musical content.

Movies: check - The Greatest Showman and Spiderman Homecoming were next. Sound effects and music tracks sound great. I have a 5.1.4 setup with 5 Sierra-2EX speakers in a large acoustically challenged basement room. But the home theater experience was excellent. Not once did I need to crank up the amp to "11" in order to get the fullness that I am after.

Streaming - Sounds silly but I streamed Disney's new Turner and Hooch and found myself immersed several times in the audio track, like in the opening credits and a few spots during several episodes. I would catch myself realizing that the sound was just so good.

I am curious about what some of you have used to exercise/test/demo these speakers...

Final Impression: When I first read about the 2EX upgrade, I was concerned it might be minor and incremental. However, even without my "scientific" A/B blind test, I am convinced the upgrade was well worth the effort. I can't believe sound this good, clear, and full comes out of a box that size. If there were a prize for best sound per cubic inch, these speakers would have to win hands down.
    Thank you for posting a review, great to share your thoughts on the Sierra-2EX upgrade and I am pleased you are enjoying them

Thanks for putting your confidence in us!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com