Thread: Hi from the Hudson Valley

Default Hi from the Hudson Valley

Hey Folks,

Wanted to check in and say hello and thank you for this forum. It was thanks to this place and some other online discussion zones that I decided to give the Sierra 2ex's a shot.

Well it's been a week and I'm in love with them. These are the first new speakers I've ever bought/owned (previously always used thrift shop/secondhand finds).

I run these natural finish beauties with a Heed Obelisk SI III amp and listen to mostly vinyl on a soon-to-be-replaced Micro Seiki MB-14 with a Nagaoka MP-200. The synergy on the system is really fantastic right now but the TT is showing its limitations with vibrations and what not.

Besides being a ravenous deadhead, I'm partial to jazz, folk, and ambient music. Would love to hear from other folks with similar tastes who are also Ascend fans.

Best,

Jeff

Exclamation Re: Hi from the Hudson Valley

Jeff,

Hello and Welcome to the Ascend Acoustic Forum (and family)!

Congrats on your wonderful Sierra-2EX Purchase and Satisfaction with their Musical Prowess!! I too enjoy ambient music (non-amplified acoustical recordings) and the 2EX Excel at that genre, or anything else you might listen to...Very natural, open, airy and Accurate representation of the recorded medium (good or bad). IMO and experience they offer such high resolution and detail, they would make excellent Recording Studio Monitors. They certainly have the precision and balance to accurately allow for upstream component, wiring and source evaluations!! But when properly set-up, ultimately present a Soundstage that is huge, believable and in my music room...LIVE!!!

Enjoy,

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: Hi from the Hudson Valley

Quote Originally Posted by privatepress View Post
    Hey Folks,

Wanted to check in and say hello and thank you for this forum. It was thanks to this place and some other online discussion zones that I decided to give the Sierra 2ex's a shot.

Well it's been a week and I'm in love with them. These are the first new speakers I've ever bought/owned (previously always used thrift shop/secondhand finds).

I run these natural finish beauties with a Heed Obelisk SI III amp and listen to mostly vinyl on a soon-to-be-replaced Micro Seiki MB-14 with a Nagaoka MP-200. The synergy on the system is really fantastic right now but the TT is showing its limitations with vibrations and what not.

Besides being a ravenous deadhead, I'm partial to jazz, folk, and ambient music. Would love to hear from other folks with similar tastes who are also Ascend fans.

Best,

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum and I am very pleased to hear you are enjoying the Sierra-2EX. Yes, these speakers will indeed reveal flaws that may not have been audible previously. About a month ago I was corresponding with a customer who was getting some feedback into his TT cartridge - curious if that was you and if you managed to rectify it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

That wasn't me, Dave.

We did have an email exchange about prog-rock and I recommended you check out Garcia Peoples

The TT vibration issue is minimal when the toddler isnt running around and I'm completely still.

I've been staying up waaaaay past my bedtime jamming Tangerine Dream and other ambient beauties.

For anyone interested in that sort of sound, I highly recommend this radio show Sounds of the Dawn. It's incrtedible and can be streamed on Mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/discover/sounds-of-the-dawn/

For TT vibration / feedback control, I can highly recommend Symposium products. I had bad feedback at somewhat higher volumes from my TT/speakers...put a Segue ISO under the TT...feedback gone completely.

Quote Originally Posted by privatepress View Post
    That wasn't me, Dave.

We did have an email exchange about prog-rock and I recommended you check out Garcia Peoples

The TT vibration issue is minimal when the toddler isnt running around and I'm completely still.

I've been staying up waaaaay past my bedtime jamming Tangerine Dream and other ambient beauties.

For anyone interested in that sort of sound, I highly recommend this radio show Sounds of the Dawn. It's incrtedible and can be streamed on Mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/discover/sounds-of-the-dawn/
    Ok thanks -- checking out Garcia Peoples right now
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com