Thread: anyone pair the Kinki Studio EX-M1 amp with Ascend RAAL Towers?

Default anyone pair the Kinki Studio EX-M1 amp with Ascend RAAL Towers?

I'm looking for an integrated stereo amp to pair with my Ascend Towers with the RAAL tweeters. Amp must have a home theatre bypass, non-tube, and I would prefer 100+ wpc. $3,000 USD is my max spend. I will have dual Rythmik L22 sealed subs hooked up to the integrated pre outs for the stereo music playback also. (These subs and towers are part of my H/T setup.)

I'm seriously considering the Kinki Studio EX-M1+ and wanted to hear if anyone has heard this amp/speaker combination. Have read that speaker matching is important with this amp as the midrange could sound thin.

I'm also considering the Musical Fidelity M5si. I think the Kinki would be a step up from this.

Kinki's been getting very good reviews, and I'm looking for very good stereo music playback. An AVR just does not cut it for me for music.
    TV: LG 77OLEDC9 A/V Receiver: Anthem MRX 740
    Sources: Pana DP-UB9000, Zidoo Z9X, Google CCwGTV, ROON
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22
    Media Room (1,500 sq ft, 13ft Wx14.5ft Lx8ft H)

Default Re: anyone pair the Kinki Studio EX-M1 amp with Ascend RAAL Towers?

I have been very interested in Hegel integrated amps.
    https://www.hegel.com/products/integrated

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    I have been very interested in Hegel integrated amps.
    https://www.hegel.com/products/integrated
    I agree with that, as the Hegel H190 is #2 on my list. Though I would need to pick it up used, as $4,000USD is above my budget. Not sure how quickly I could obtain one that way, which is why the Kinki caught my attention at about $3,000 new.

Am also considering the Musical Fidelity M5si at $2,000 new, but I'm thinking the above two models would have superior sound quality. Here I'm also paying for a headphone out which I don't need. But, maybe it matches the Ascend better?

No way to really know without demoing each, which is difficult.
    Thanks for the comment.
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22

Yeah, the H190 looks awesome, I was thinking of the H95, which would likely drive your Ascends in your media room. I love the way Hegel stuff looks too.

I'd wonder whether the Hegel or Kinki would sound 1K-2K better than the Musical Fidelity? FWIW, I used a Musical Fidelity phono pre for awhile (entry level) which sounded very good.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I'd wonder whether the Hegel or Kinki would sound 1K-2K better than the Musical Fidelity? FWIW, I used a Musical Fidelity phono pre for awhile (entry level) which sounded very good.
    I've asked myself that same question. If the MF amp was available from a local audio store, possibly I'd consider it. (Though their line is also 6 yrs old.) However, the only purchase option in my location for MF is an online retailer. If I have to buy online, without a local dealer's support, then in today's very small world there is not much difference between buying from a US website vs a non-USA website.

Also, if I ended up not completely overwhelmed by the sound quality of the MF product, then I'd always be wondering if I had spent $1,000 more would I be much happier. If I was in my 30's I'd have to reign in my expections and settle for less than I really desired. But now that I'm past 60 I figure I've spent my entire life working (and still working) so a splurge on expensive items that would give me much enjoyment makes sense.

I don't belive a $2-3,000 amp makes financial sense for anyone where music is just for background, or don't have proper speaker and seat placement. Which seems to be most people! I used to have a pretty good stereo system back in my 30's, and loved the good sound. I've always LISTENED to albums, no different than sitting in a concert. So I do hear and appreciate what better components bring.

At lease that's how I'm rationalizing this!
    I would be placing my order now, but my funds transfer into my Paypal account did not happen last week. Had to re-do the transfer today, now just waiting for the funds to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    I've asked myself that same question. If the MF amp was available from a local audio store, possibly I'd consider it. (Though their line is also 6 yrs old.) However, the only purchase option in my location for MF is an online retailer. If I have to buy online, without a local dealer's support, then in today's very small world there is not much difference between buying from a US website vs a non-USA website.

Also, if I ended up not completely overwhelmed by the sound quality of the MF product, then I'd always be wondering if I had spent $1,000 more would I be much happier. If I was in my 30's I'd have to reign in my expections and settle for less than I really desired. But now that I'm past 60 I figure I've spent my entire life working (and still working) so a splurge on expensive items that would give me much enjoyment makes sense.

I don't belive a $2-3,000 amp makes financial sense for anyone where music is just for background, or don't have proper speaker and seat placement. Which seems to be most people! I used to have a pretty good stereo system back in my 30's, and loved the good sound. I've always LISTENED to albums, no different than sitting in a concert. So I do hear and appreciate what better components bring.

At lease that's how I'm rationalizing this!
    I would be placing my order now, but my funds transfer into my Paypal account did not happen last week. Had to re-do the transfer today, now just waiting for the funds to show up.
    Totally agree with the bolded - I'm generally the same way as now in my mid-50's and nearing retirement. Although there's a part of me that is on the frugal side and consider the point of diminishing returns on equipment upgrades that my old ears can discern (versus buying more vinyl ;-) ).