Thread: CMT-340 w/TP-24 stands

Default CMT-340 w/TP-24 stands

Hello all. I have a couple of questions on using the TP-24 stands. We recently relocated and our new house has vinyl flooring on top of concrete slab.

First, is it better to use spikes with the discs they sit on, or use some type of rubber foot on the bottom of the stand?

Also, if I fill the stands, is the goal to make them heavier, or to deaden them, or both? I would like to use a light material like cotton balls or packing peanuts if the goal is just to fill them with something as they are already pretty heavy with the speakers on them.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: CMT-340 w/TP-24 stands

Or just set the stand directly to the floor. Personally, I don't like spikes with disks and try to avoid them, particularly on wood floors. Probably ok on vinyl.

I'd not bother filling with cotton balls. I'd use something like sand, gravel, or lead shot/bb's,

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Or just set the stand directly to the floor. Personally, I don't like spikes with disks and try to avoid them, particularly on wood floors. Probably ok on vinyl.

I'd not bother filling with cotton balls. I'd use something like sand, gravel, or lead shot/bb's,
    I agree with this. It's best to use something heavy to eliminate the possibility of the stand ringing. Even partially filled with sand would be good in my opinion.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by GeddyFan View Post
    Hello all. I have a couple of questions on using the TP-24 stands. We recently relocated and our new house has vinyl flooring on top of concrete slab.

First, is it better to use spikes with the discs they sit on, or use some type of rubber foot on the bottom of the stand?

Also, if I fill the stands, is the goal to make them heavier, or to deaden them, or both? I would like to use a light material like cotton balls or packing peanuts if the goal is just to fill them with something as they are already pretty heavy with the speakers on them.

Thanks in advance.
    The discs are there to protect hardwood or tile flooring. No reason to use the discs with the spikes if placed on a concrete slab. The reason to fill the stands is to deaden it, packing peanuts or cotton balls won't accomplish this. I generally recommend using inexpensive clumping cat litter. Whatever you decide to fill the stands with, it must be 100% dry, often if you purchase sand, it will be slightly moist and that will quickly ruin the stands.

Happy Holidays!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com