Thread: Subwoofer with speaker or high level inputs

Default Subwoofer with speaker or high level inputs

Hi-

I've been using Sierra 2 speakers with a 2 channel music only system for the last year or so. I would like to add a sub like a Rythmik but only have a tape out on my preamp.

Do any of the Rythmik subs have a speaker inputs? Other than that, are there any tricks that I can use?

Thanks

Default Re: Subwoofer with speaker or high level inputs

https://emotiva.com/collections/airm...se12-subwoofer

The only sub I can think offhand that you can connect via high level (speaker) inputs that will apply a high pass filter internally is this one from Emotiva.

That's not to say you couldn't make a Rythmik work, and I am completely in favor of a Rythmik, just not sure how to hook one up and get the correct filtering without adding a MiniDSP or something similar.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Looking at the Rythmik site (standard size amps), they have several amplifiers that have speaker level inputs.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html

You may either want to chat with Dina/Dave or Brian/Enrico (Rythmik) on options for subs.

The most important thing you want to be able to do is have high pass filtering for your main speakers to cut out bass to them at the crossover frequency. My preamp (Parasound P5) has High & Low pass filters built in so I do not rely on my Rythmik to do that.

Definitely speak with Dave or give Brian at Rythmik a call to see if there are good options.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

OK, I'm getting the picture. So I was looking at a REL that connects to your amp with their cable. But that appears to not have a high pass filter, it just supplements the bass. You are all talking about getting a sub with a high pass filter that cuts off the lower frequencies to the main speakers which makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomaniac View Post
    Hi-

I've been using Sierra 2 speakers with a 2 channel music only system for the last year or so. I would like to add a sub like a Rythmik but only have a tape out on my preamp.

Do any of the Rythmik subs have a speaker inputs? Other than that, are there any tricks that I can use?

Thanks
    Hi Audiomaniac,

Rythmik does offer a model with an amp that has high level inputs. It isn't listed on our website, but we are happy to assist you with this.

Please free to give us a call
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com