Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High strand speaker cable

Default Re: High strand speaker cable

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Yeah that first video started out pretty tongue in cheek, lol. Gene is an electrical engineer and has some of the best measurement gear for just about every measurable aspect there is when it comes to all things audio. The whole site was founded with an objective no-nonsense, scientific approach to audio.

He has found some measurable differences between cables, but nothing that has any effect on what we hear. Well, with some exceptions where there was actually degredation with some of the more expensive ones!
    Ask Dave what wire he uses INSIDE his speakers. I've not read one thing about it on the Ascend site, so I'm gonna venture Dave's gonna say he's in the "doesnt make much difference" camp. And I would agree.
    Keep resistance as low as possible, length as short as possible, (and keep the LRC wire lengths the same)
    But i would not go as hi as 10 gauge....you start to add inductance. Note that some hi end wire is not hi strand, like Kimber...so thats just one datapoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Ask Dave what wire he uses INSIDE his speakers. I've not read one thing about it on the Ascend site, so I'm gonna venture Dave's gonna say he's in the "doesnt make much difference" camp. And I would agree.
    Keep resistance as low as possible, length as short as possible, (and keep the LRC wire lengths the same)
    But i would not go as hi as 10 gauge....you start to add inductance. Note that some hi end wire is not hi strand, like Kimber...so thats just one datapoint.
    I think as long as you're using copper (not cca) and have the appropriate gauge for your runs the rest is pretty inconsequential when it come to audio.

I'm no engineer tho and try to keep an open mind. If someone can prove with a DBT or something that their cables offer something special then I'll be a convert. So far, that's never happened to my knowledge and most of the folks making the claims tend to not want to participate in backing them up.

Just for fun, check these guys out. This'll make your ee blood boil, lol.

http://machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

I think as long as you're using copper (not cca) and have the appropriate gauge for your runs the rest is pretty inconsequential when it come to audio.

I'm no engineer tho and try to keep an open mind. If someone can prove with a DBT or something that their cables offer something special then I'll be a convert. So far, that's never happened to my knowledge and most of the folks making the claims tend to not want to participate in backing them up.

Just for fun, check these guys out. This'll make your ee blood boil, lol.

http://machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
    Wow, some wild snake oil right there! Similar to folks selling "hospital grade" plugs and receptacles for audio equipment!

OK, finisher #2 , 15min and the next is 19...ck that later.

Pseudoscience , don't even work on Startrek

battery led cable? someone is on the pipe!

still making sense to use a heavy awg wire and there is junk out there!

he does cover his ars a lot by using words like ":don't necessarily" "Sometimes" "Almost never""really don't"

#3 later...
    but it DOES, but apparently not in the" audio range" is what i get now. love these posts Pogre! thx!

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was an Audioholics article I read that explained how skin effect really doesn't matter for audio. However, I did see in another Audioholics video where Gene recommended high stranded cable but he didn't explain why. It seems to me that high strand, low strand, or even solid core cable makes no difference. I'm gonna hook up my speakers with Romex!

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    That's not entirely true.
    That's actually a really good reason for wanting high strand count cable, tho I don't think there would be any audible differences between it or regular ol' lower strand cable.

That's actually a really good reason for wanting high strand count cable, tho I don't think there would be any audible differences between it or regular ol' lower strand cable.
    Never suggested there was an audible difference. Merely highlighting that there are differences other than the hypothetical and oft debated audible.

Never suggested there was an audible difference. Merely highlighting that there are differences other than the hypothetical and oft debated audible.
    I wasn't sure, because I'm pretty certain the post you quoted and the subject of the thread is pertaining to audible differences.

That's not entirely true.
    That is true. High stranded cable is definitely more flexible and easier to pull and install. What I meant to say was there's no audible difference.