Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
Just add a sign to the front door, Like the song ; If the house is a Rockin' Don't bother Knocking, Just Cummon on in. :-)

I'm still playing with my sub settings. I got a Rythmic LV12F (ported) here that replaced a Velodyne 12 (sealed,servo) and It made a HUGE improvement! I too was very skeptical on going ported but i am so glad i did!
I was older school when they were boomy and muddy, Dina assured me this wasn't the case with Rythmic and it holds true.
NO regrets going ported here
Exactly. Back in the day it was more guesswork/trial and error and there were some very poor ported designs with huge group delay issues. Boomy and muddy, just like you said. With today's computer modeling and advancements in tech and engineering, most good sub manufacturers have taken the guesswork out and made group delay much less of an issue with modern ported designs. What little there is is mostly in the lower frequencies where one could argue it's not even audible.

Add to that a lot of sealed subs use a fair amount of EQ in the lower frequencies to make up for the earlier roll off, which adds group delay! Again, I doubt it's audible either. Just sayin'. In my opinion, if you have the room, one should always go ported, and pick a good manufacturer! Rythmik is definitely one of those. I've never listened to a servo sub before but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Rythmik, just based on reputation and some of the measurements I've seen.