Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Default Re: Sierra 2EX upgrade kit questions

Thats why I kept my 2’s and bought a new pair of ex. Didn’t have it in my heart to pretty much scrap an awesome speaker.

I am hoping to be a EX up-grader at some point and will have no use for the old woofers, though I'm a ways out from being able to get the kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Levesque View Post
    I am hoping to be a EX up-grader at some point and will have no use for the old woofers, though I'm a ways out from being able to get the kits.
    Ascend, at one time, had you return ship the old components, but no longer. I too have my old Sierra-2 woofers and crossovers, and the original EX crossovers after I upgraded to the V2 EX crossovers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Me, too. As well as the Duo to v2 parts and Tower v1 to ELX v2 parts.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Levesque View Post
    We are happy to provide a pre-paid return shipping label for the old parts, but we no longer offer any credit for them.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm not sure how it's feasible for Ascend to give $ back. Everyone wants their best stuff, which is obviously their newest stuff, as Dave continues to produce better products.
    I dunno, I'm just a guy looking at progress.

Good Luck.

G

I don't know if this is relevant to this thread but I'm trying to rotate my tweeters in my Sierra 2 (nonEX) for horizontal placement. I can't seem to get the tweeter out. I removed the 4 Phillips screws and tried flipping it over and couldn't get them to budge. I even tried putting a stick into the soundport and tapping on the cork backing of the tweeter mount (not the tweeter itself. It just won't budge. Any suggestions?

I shouldn't have to remove the hex screws holding the tweeter itself in right?

You need to remove the 4 screws from the tweeter face (the outer ones), as you did. The two on either side of the ribbon (middle of) stay in.

Once the screws are out, you can use one of them to "pry" the tweeter face. Stick it in the screw hole of the tweeter face plate (not the cabinet hole) and pull up. If the screw itself doesn't work, try a small flat head screwdriver or small allen wrench and pry up on the faceplate, again inserting the tool into the faceplate screw head. You may have to do this in more than one hole.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Thanks for the tips. Tried again for about 30 minutes. I marred the faceplate but nothing that the screw won't cover. It's hard to judge how thick the plate is and how far in before I hit the cabinet so I don't know where to pry. I think I'm going to give up and just leave the tweeter sideways.
    Was originally going to upgrade to the LX but I guess I'll have to look into other options.

Bummer.
    try the flat head screwdriver again. this time, insert it between the faceplate and the cabinet where the faceplate sits. Rotate the screwdriver. It should pop loose eventually.

Optionally, insert the screwdriver underneath the face plate at the outer edge and try prying up (or rotating). You may want to put a small piece of cardboard, towel, or the tweeter protectors on the cabinet between the screwdriver as to not mar the cabinet.

If all else fails and you are in the Houston area, if you want to bring the speakers by, I can try and pop the tweeter for you. I've done several of these upgrades (S2 --> S2EXv2, Duo --> Duo v2, RAAL Towers/Horizon RAAL center --> ELX v2 on all three). Granted, some were swapping/removing drivers other than the tweeter, but similar procedure.