Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

I genuinely can't figure out if this is a late April Fool prank or not.

I might consider this option down the road...only if its priced in affordable range like the all the Ascend products and includes a simple drop-in package. I've thought about doing the RAAL upgrade to my mains but they require being shipped back to Ascend for proper installation, hence my reluctance.

No money tree but I'd try and make it work...
    Last edited by billy p; 04-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

This is my review of my custom Serria tower with the Seas Diamond Tweeter.

So... First I have to say that the fit and finish of the speakers surprised me...the finish is as good as I have ever seen...and the box is so soild...and well made...Are these cabinets on piece?...Still today every time I see them , I see the quality of the cabinet...I am so pleased with the looks and I got lucky as the color matches exactly with my wife's piano...So the two musical instruments in my home match.

Bass...The first day I set the speakers up about 2 feet out from the corners because I thought it would help them image , but at that distance from the corner I was wanting more Bass response. And over all the speakers sound a little lean in there response unless I was playing at very high volume levels...you had warned me that I would most likely need a sub woofer so I wasn't too worried.

But the second day I placed the speakers back more into the corners, about 6 inches from the corners, which is were I need them to be to look best in the room, and now the Bass is perfect and strong...I can feel it..and not booming, the Bass is the most musical bass I have ever heard. When I hear Bass I know what instrument produced it..A drum, guitar, or lower registrar piano keys..

Midrange driver. The midrange driver doesn't seem to have any coloration...I cannot heard it doing anything wrong...In the past I always seem to hear a softness to poly type cones, like the dynaudio drivers...but all I hear out of this driver is music and the most detail I have ever heard from a speaker. No other driver even comes close, most of my speakers in the past used at least 6 1/2 drivers, and these are the first Neo magnet speakers I have owned..

Tweeter...Did you hook it up?...As I said I hear no coloration from the midrange driver, but I get no sense that the tweeter is even playing, except for the fact that I hear details on every recording that I have owned for years that I never even knew were there. So much more description of the voice or instruments, every detail of Joan Baez's voice...with the details being at the correct volume, making the singers sound so life like. With all this new detail the voices convey so much more emotion. I also hear things like a actual voice supporting the singer in the back round that now stands out as clear as a bell that I never even heard before. This tweeter conveys the presents and power of the
    music like I have never heard before. The music is so '' life like".

The midrange and tweeter blend so well it as if I am listening to one driver...so much information with such power and conviction and emotion ...its hard to believe I am listening to a 5 " midrange and 1" tweeter....

It's a world class tweeter that someone has to hear to believe, and the midrange driver is in the same category...but it is Dave's design and crossover work that make this a GREAT speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    BTW Dave, what is the 3db down Vertical\Horizontal dispersion characteristics of the 70-10 RAAL as implemented in the Sierra2?
    The tweeter in the Sierra-2 is a custom RAAL, made specifically for us. I generally recommend a vertical listening window of +/- 15 degrees. For your setup, the increased vertical directivity of our ribbon tweeters is not a concern.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Smile Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The tweeter in the Sierra-2 is a custom RAAL, made specifically for us. I generally recommend a vertical listening window of +/- 15 degrees. For your setup, the increased vertical directivity of our ribbon tweeters is not a concern.
    Thanks Dave! I'll be in a better position late June to receive the Sierra 2's in P. Black!

As per this thread comments, will also closely follow your development of a diamond dome top end transducer\monitor system...!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I already spent quite enough, I can't ever see myself going for that, but I'm just a lowly chemical engineer making glue. I love the detailed yet smooth character of the RAAL ribbons, so these would have to do that while also getting more vertical dispersion, because that's really the only thing missing with the RAAL.

Also, yeah it would have to be mated to some kind of crazy new woofer to make the overall package all of the same caliber.

A few questions popped up in my mind after reading Dave's post

1. Will the current woofer in the Sierra-2 be a good match to this new diamond tweeter or will it became the weak link?

2. Will SEAS be able to make a lower cost version of this tweeter or is this $6,800 pair the only version they will offer and if SEAS does come out with a lower cost version, will it still be better than RAAL or even the diamond tweeter from B&W or the BE tweeter from Focal? (BTW, I believe RAAL is better than both)

3. Base on answer to question #2, how will the pricing structure work? I can see Ascend's customer base spending $3,000, maybe $3,500 for a pair of bookshelf speakers but if we are talking about $6,000+ I really don't think you will get much interest from your current customers

I believe most of the Ascend's customers who ordered the Sierra lineups are savvy internet users that value the great performance offered at such incredible price, which is the exact opposite from the cost is no objective crowd..

The only way I can see this custom order model success will be for Dave to start attending audio shows and show case the finished product to attract those who are into the high price custom build market...

Yes! Keep pushing the envelope, especially when you can sell them in the 5K range. The closer to the holy grail of being at the concert or the recording the better. Go for it!

What's the timbre match with the RAAL speakers like, Dave?
    If I was to put a pair of Sierra-2 Diamonds in my set up as LRs would they match well with my Horizon? Would I suffer endless torment and then need to buy a Diamond upgrade for the Horizon ?

Quote Originally Posted by astr0b0y View Post
    What's the timbre match with the RAAL speakers like, Dave?
    If I was to put a pair of Sierra-2 Diamonds in my set up as LRs would they match well with my Horizon? Would I suffer endless torment and then need to buy a Diamond upgrade for the Horizon ?
    I am thinking if the Diamonds make their way into a Sierra class speaker the model name would surely be Sierra-3. Then, of course, you would need a matching Sierra Sat!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables