Thread: Diamond Tweeter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Diamond Tweeter?

Gotcha! This tweeter sounds like a game changer.

Tonight in a bookstore I saw that the latest edition of Stereophile features a review of a Crystal Cable bookshelf speaker that features the SEAS diamond tweeter (or some variation of it). The speaker also appears to use a Scan Speak Illuminator 6" woofer. Cost per pair of speakers is $20k.

Review will be on Stereophile's website soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Tonight in a bookstore I saw that the latest edition of Stereophile features a review of a Crystal Cable bookshelf speaker that features the SEAS diamond tweeter (or some variation of it). The speaker also appears to use a Scan Speak Illuminator 6" woofer. Cost per pair of speakers is $20k.

Review will be on Stereophile's website soon.
    Thanks for the heads up. Crystal Cable has the review on their website. I'd have to say that for $20K, the Stereophile review didn't seem to enthusiastic about the speaker. Seems like the overall balance of the speaker is a little off. The measured sensitivity is also pretty low at 81dB.

Yeah, the measurements could be - and should be - a lot better. The low sensitivity is somewhat ameloriated by the high impedance of the speakers, but that frequency response on-axis needs some work. Looks like the crossover isn't optimal; or maybe the two drivers chosen just don't work together optimally.

But, hey, they have a unique look; they use extravagant drivers, pricey crossover components, and silver internal wiring; and they cost a fortune. So that's a CLASS A component in the minds of Stereophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    But, hey, they have a unique look; they use extravagant drivers, pricey crossover components, and silver internal wiring; and they cost a fortune. So that's a CLASS A component in the minds of Stereophile.
    and an interesting name "Arabesque Minissimo Diamond"....

$20k? It's a head scratcher...
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    and an interesting name "Arabesque Minissimo Diamond"....

$20k? It's a head scratcher...
    I am not at all surprised by the $20K price tag. These SEAS white diamond tweeters are the most expensive tweeters I have ever come across, but they are also the best sounding dome tweeters I have ever evaluated. I've been looking at some numbers and I don't think we could offer a pair of speakers with these tweeters and top notch woofers for anything less than $6K/pair. With that in mind, I am still going to design a set -- and soon
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am not at all surprised by the $20K price tag. These SEAS white diamond tweeters are the most expensive tweeters I have ever come across, but they are also the best sounding dome tweeters I have ever evaluated. I've been looking at some numbers and I don't think we could offer a pair of speakers with these tweeters and top notch woofers for anything less than $6K/pair. With that in mind, I am still going to design a set -- and soon
    Is that 6k for a pair of towers?

You can count on me and Curtis being over there for a demo as soon as you've got something.

and I'm sure yours will measure better!
    -curtis