Page 22 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Luna Mini Monitor!

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    This was discussed at length with the regular Sierra line. The problem is the V-lam bamboo construction. In most magnetic grill applications which usually have a veneer-over-MDF/plywood construction it is rather simple. Just bore a hole in the baffle face prior to applying the veneer which the magnet drops into. The veneer is then applied over this and you have hidden magnets within the baffle. Since there is no veneer on the Sierras, but rather the bamboo grain you see is the actual solid bamboo with finish applied, you do not have a veneer to hide the magnets. If you don't mind seeing those magnets when the grills are removed then no big deal, but the advantage of magnetic grills is that you have a clean looking baffle when the grill is off.
    Maybe a stupid question, but cant the holes be drilled from the back side of the baffle and stopped before going through the face add a magnet and fill the holes flush with epoxy or something? Another option would be going no grill, cause I do like that sleek look with no extra holes. Either way looks like a great little speaker once again from Ascend. Cheers Dave and crew!!
    Last edited by Bill66; 04-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Default Re: New for 2016 - Introducing the Sierra Satellite, or “Sierra Sat” for short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill66 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but cant the holes be drilled from the back side of the baffle and stopped before going through the face. Another option would be no grill, cause I do like that sleek look with no extra holes. Either way looks like a great little speaker once again from Ascend. Cheers Dave and crew!!
    I would think that going from the inside would create surface that would no longer be flat, so it would reflect sound differently inside the cabinet. I also think this would compromise cabinet rigidity as holes drilled from the inside might lower the overall cabinet stiffness.

I nearly asked for speakers without grilles and holes, but I thought it would be better to keep them around for when I need to move the speakers and if I end up getting a bigger dog one day. Always better to have the protection than to not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill66 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but cant the holes be drilled from the back side of the baffle and stopped before going through the face add a magnet and fill the holes flush with epoxy or something?
    I had the same exact idea and actually sent Dave a drawing of that. I don't remember his exact response but what it boils down to is: Design for Manufacturability. The design must meet the capabilities of the fabricator and material. Material variations are another factor. Since Bamboo is a natural product it will have variations within its grain. In order to have sufficient magnetic gauss would likely require a pretty thin wall between magnet & baffle face. The possibility of voids in the bamboo may lead to some breakout or thinner than desired spots. I'm sure Dave is still looking into an effective way to do a magnetic grill as he sure enjoys a good challenge.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Here ya go!!!

Sample cabinet came out absolutely perfect and so far my modeling has proven accurate. The complex porting and tuning is ideal and this little dude has some serious kick! I am honestly not sure a speaker this small with this level of performance has ever been produced and this guy feels like you are literally holding a brick. Likely come in at about 9 pounds each and I don't believe we will have to make any changes to the cabinet. 10 5/8" high x 5 3/4" wide x 6" deep.

Enjoy the pics!
    I go away for awhile, and look what happens! Time to get ready for Dolby ATMOS! Boom. Nice job Dave, many congrats. -Jon
    Jon O.

Waiting for release date. Consider the first pair in Satin Espresso sold! Congrats to you Dave and everyone on the team at Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I would think that going from the inside would create surface that would no longer be flat, so it would reflect sound differently inside the cabinet. I also think this would compromise cabinet rigidity as holes drilled from the inside might lower the overall cabinet stiffness.

I nearly asked for speakers without grilles and holes, but I thought it would be better to keep them around for when I need to move the speakers and if I end up getting a bigger dog one day. Always better to have the protection than to not have it.
    Speakers without grills and holes? I would do that if it were an option.

I'm new to the Ascend forum. I came across this thread this morning. I've been searching for new surround speakers to go with my Yamaha 3000. My Aperion 6Ts (top of line when purchased, but 3 versions back now) with a 6C center channel will remain for the time being, but I want surrounds that will be timbre compatible when I upgrade the 6Ts.

I have a new Emotiva XPA 5 ordered to add 4 new speakers for presence speakers (Yamaha configuration) to my 7.2 system. I want to timber match the new speakers (purchase now) with a new set of towers and center channel (budget only now) and the Sierra Towers look like they would fit the bill. The 6Ts would eventually become rear speakers or go to another room depending on timbre.

I've also been looking at Salk speakers, and Aperion, but Aperion isn't offering an RAAL tweeter. When I say look, it only means looking at forums and reading between the lines.

Next year the Yamaha will be replaced with a new AV for Dolby Atmos and DTS (maybe Auro?) and a final config of 7.2.4. The .2 is a new set of HSU VTF-3MK5s which I'm breaking in now.

These satellites with RAAL tweeters and the ability to timbre match the Sierra Towers and Horizon Center sounds like the way to go.

So pricing and ETA would be helpful with a new amp to show up around May 1st.

As far as I can tell no manufacturer is doing a true 7.1 with proper surrounds using RAAL tweeters. I wouldn't mind being one of the first.

I'm about 75% video and 25% audio, with a 120 inch screen and an Epson 5030 player. I like being immersed in the sound, where I become part of the orchestra or band, so usually I listen to 7 channel sound when I listen to music.

I was also looking at Aperion before I purchased my Ascend towers and center. I went to hear the Aperion setup in their office and it was really great, but it was a little on the warm side and it certainly lacked the clarity that the Ascend setup provides. Those RAAL tweeters are so much more detailed and effortless sounding. Definitely worth the extra cost to me. The Bamboo cabinets are also much more sturdy and acoustically dead than the MDF Aperion cabinets.

I think you'll be thrilled with the Sierra Sats when they come out just as I will be.

Thanks for the reply. I live about 40 miles from Aperion headquarters. I listened to both the 6Ts and Grand Verus when they came out. I ended up with the 6Ts (WAF), even though the Grand Versus sounded a little better to me.

I have been given permission to upgrade (WAF again) if I can figure out how not go bankrupt doing it. The Grand Verus II are being released now, with an upgraded silk dome tweeter. But I'm trying to go a little farther in technology, and from what I can gather the RAAL tweeters do that. Maybe a little future proofing on my part.

In any case, I'm betting that the RAAL tweeters in an eventual 7.2.4 system are going to be very satisfying.

Dave - Will one have the option to special order Sierra Satellite's without grilles and holes?
    Last edited by timmbw; 04-10-2016 at 12:17 AM.