Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Hi Sivar,

did you get yourself the xmc-1? If yes how is it working. Im new to this and want some professional tips. I visited this page about 4k Projectors but I want some more experienced answer.

i want to use my 4k Projector to make a home theater feeling and want to buy all what is recommended. My Max Budget that I want to spend is 8000 $ what can you guy recommend?

Thanks Mike
I ended up buying an Emotiva MC-700, which works quite well. I don't know that I would recommend Emotiva for a pre-amp over more established companies. Amplifier? Yes. Anything else? Less so.

The MC-700 supports 4K resolution, but I am unconvinced it is of enough benefit to justify the cost increase. HDR is different, however, and does have obvious benefit. While unrelated to 4K resolution, HDR does seem to only be associated with 4K equipment.

Projectors and pre-amps come and go, so I suggest the bulk of your budget should go to the things that last, like speakers and subwoofers.
Projector technology is advancing rapidly, undergoing a major shift towards laser, but 4K laser projectors are not yet affordable. I suspect they will be within a few years. I tested a 1080p laser projector for Amazon and found it quite remarkable -- its brightness was far stronger than any other home theater projector I have seen. Even on "Eco mode" it was vastly brighter than my BenQ on maximum brightness.

As for audio, I researched speakers since I was 15, tried many brands at many price points, and settled on Ascend's high-end line with RAAL tweeters. RAAL tweeters are insanely good, measuring better than even the most exotic plasma- and diamond-based units by many metrics. The speakers overall are extraordinary in almost every way, including ways I did not consider prior to purchase. I originally wanted to get a better-known brand like B&W, KEF. or Focal, but the measurements said it all, and when I heard them -- subjective an experience as that can be -- it was immediately clear that I made the right choice.