Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    I just finished upgrading a pair of Sierra 1 speakers, and the improvements puts a smile on my face. The ribbons really are detailed, and the driver is quite a treat. Jazz, vocals and instruments all sound so natural and open. This kit is definitely a worthwhile upgrade and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants more out of their music.
    Excellent! Glad you are enjoying them and I hope the upgrade process itself was enjoyable.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes, it was enjoyable. The written instructions and the videos made the process easy to follow and took any guess work out of the equation. In fact, I also have some old Sierra 1's that are about 8 years old. I installed the drivers and crossovers from the first pair in them as well just because I could!

Again, anyone that's considering this upgrade, the results really are worth it.

Just an FYI to folks. I ordered a pair of upgrade kits, and Dina tells me they are currently out of stock until after the holidays.

Ah well, gives me something fun to look forward to.

I really appreciate having a clear upgrade path, so I can invest in my system gradually. The option of this upgrade kit is a big reason I went with Sierra-1s in the first place. Thanks for offering it!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaq View Post
    Just an FYI to folks. I ordered a pair of upgrade kits, and Dina tells me they are currently out of stock until after the holidays.

Ah well, gives me something fun to look forward to.

I really appreciate having a clear upgrade path, so I can invest in my system gradually. The option of this upgrade kit is a big reason I went with Sierra-1s in the first place. Thanks for offering it!
    We are about 3-4 weeks away from having more in stock so the wait time is not too bad

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just finished my upgrade. Lots of fun!

My other obsession is photography, so I thought I'd document the process. Here's a few samples:

Remove tweeter by Kevin, on Flickr

Removed woofer by Kevin, on Flickr

Remove crossover screws with small screwdriver by Kevin, on Flickr

Place and screw in Sierra-2 crossover by Kevin, on Flickr

Connect ribbon tweeter wires by Kevin, on Flickr

Connect woofer wires by Kevin, on Flickr

Paper is magnetically attracted, keep sliding down by Kevin, on Flickr

Sierra-2 and Sierra-1 together by Kevin, on Flickr

I couldn't post more than this with current forum limits, but I documented all steps. Full set here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kdaq/s...h/25087053247/

Cheers, and thanks for the awesome upgrade path!

-Kevin

Great pics Kevin - thanks

Wow those pics on Flickr are really well presented. How long did it take you to do this? I'm torn between doing this or simply selling and buying a new set. Thanks!

Thanks chas and rifmon, I appreciate that.

I took my time and experimented a bit. Setup, shooting, teardown, and post processing took most of a nice lazy Saturday.

Just doing the swap without shooting photos is way faster. The second speaker I did after I tore down the photo setup. Took me 40 minutes going carefully.

I encourage everyone to give it a shot! I'm certainly not the handiest person, but it was a great experience.

Great! So 40 minutes on one after you did it once is pretty, Pretty Good!

I imagine it could take maybe 4 hours sans photo shop prep and take-down. Not bad at all. Still not certain if I'm going to proceed with a kit vs new and sell off mine. I do know my cabinets will work without surgery though.

So from what you're saying, the kit install connects one to his or her 2's! But your pics and labels on Flickr are so well mapped out, I think I could do it if I choose to proceed.
    Last edited by rifmon; 02-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Oh yeah, four hours should be plenty. Be sure to check out the videos in the first link as well, I found those very helpful to understand the process before I dove in.

Also note, I noticed earlier in this thread a few mentions that Ascend can also do the upgrade for you. I'd contact them before selling your pair if you opt not to do it yourself.

Cheers,

-Kevin