Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: compact subwoofer to go with classic 170s

Default compact subwoofer to go with classic 170s

I have had a pair of classic cbm-170s forever. They've pleased me greatly. Now I would like to add a compact subwoofer that would complement them, musically.

I am a 100% music guy. When I read things like "thumping, heart-pounding bass" in a maker's propaganda, it does nothing for me. I am not interested in feeling explosions in action movies. I want something to make the cbm-170s even better for most music. I seldom listen at high volume. The room is around 3300 cubic feet.

Money is flexible.

My main constraint is size. When Epik describes its Legend as "smaller" and the thing is 18 H x 15 W x 20 D, I have to turn the page. The Rythmik F12, at 15.75" x 15.75" x 17" (18-1/2" D with grille), is also a non-starter. SWMBO will not have any big box sitting in the room. It is just possible that I could talk her into something long and low, like the Phil Jones PSW-1, which is 6 x 44 x 14, but maybe not... nor do I know whether it is right for my purposes.

Do any of the truly compact subwoofers have a good reputation for musicality, and of them, which would complement my old 170s most gracefully? Can I get decent bass for music under a cubic foot?

Thanks to you all for considering this. I know this is an odd request and I will attend carefully to your suggestions.

Default Re: compact subwoofer to go with classic 170s

If you don't want a box in your room...especially if the F12 is too big, for the cost, I would consider upgrading to a pair of B stock Sierra-1's, and not worry about a subwoofer for now.

If the old "classic" CBM-170 brought musical goodness to your ears, then you will be ecstatic with the Sierra-1....and they look a lot nicer too.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    -curtis

Curtis, thanks for that suggestion, one I hadn't considered.

My current stereo receiver is a Yamaha R-S300, which has but 50 watts per channel. That's double the recommended minimum for the 170, but it barely exceeds the recommended 45 watt minimum for the Sierra 1. Is that an issue? If I owned Sierra 1, how many watts per Sierra 1 would be comfortable (as opposed to minimal, if that matters)?

Thanks again.

I think 50 would be fine. How loud do you like to listen to your music?
    -curtis

Curtis, thanks. Verbally describing how loud I listen to music may be the equivalent of saying that "These go to eleven."

Seriously though, not very loud. I haven't had a complaint from my neighbors in about 25 years. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by nwilcox View Post
    Curtis, thanks. Verbally describing how loud I listen to music may be the equivalent of saying that "These go to eleven."

Seriously though, not very loud. I haven't had a complaint from my neighbors in about 25 years. Does that help?
    LOL!!

Can you have a conversation with someone sitting next you without yelling during "spirited" listening levels?
    -curtis

That happens once every two or three years, generally late at night, and in all honesty neither I nor my remaining guests would notice a little distortion and clipping under those circumstances.

Then I say go for the Sierra-1's or NrT's.
    -curtis

Have you considered the SVS SB-12plus....there might even be an SB-13 in the works. Anyhow, this is a sealed subwoofer which has gotten great reviews over the last few years. I even bought one myself about 5 years ago.

Dimensions are roughly 14"X14"x14"

Looks like the original SB-12plus that I have is no longer being sold, but this one is quite similar:
    http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...d#.UMa6DY5waQI
    Last edited by sourbeef; 12-10-2012 at 08:44 PM.

SauerBraten, thanks for the suggestion. (Does SourBeef stand for 'Sealed Box' or is that just a coincidence?) The SVS SB12-NSD is mentioned on these threads and elsewhere a good deal. It is still a bit bigger than SWMBO will meet with good cheer, but a noticeable improvement.

Broadening the conversation a bit, I noticed this review of the Sierra 1 at audioreview.com:

http://reviews.audioreview.com/ascen...speaker-review

This review suggests several things. First, this reviewer thinks that the Sierras need a higher-powered amplifier than I have, dissing his 40 watt tube amps in favor of his 100 watt solid state amps. I recognize that this may be a matter of taste, in deference to Curtis' previous comments.

Second, the reviewer at Audioreview.com seems to suggest that the Sierras really come into their own at higher volume. It isn't crystal clear he/she is meaning to say that, but it sure sounds like it from time to time. That's grand, but probably the great majority of my own listening will be at lower volumes. The early morning party is, at this life stage, rare for me.

In general, I rarely see this volume issue discussed in most reviews. When it is discussed, it seems a matter of whether your backing equipment and speakers allow you to get UP TO volume X (e.g. ear-bleeding, car-wrecking, dinosaur-stomping). Not, I notice, whether your speakers and backing equipment deliver a satisfyingly full musical experience DOWN TO volume Y (e.g. 50-something-codger-with-whiskey-in-hand-and-SWMBO-asleep).

I could bump my amp up to 75 or 100 watts per channel. But is that really the right thing for my life stage? If the Sierra 1 really wants to be relatively loud to come into its own, should I really be considering it? For that matter, is adding a subwoofer to my higher sensitivity cbm-170s a good idea at all if the whole ensemble will generally be played at lower volumes?

Confused as usual, but used to it by now. Certainty is for those who cannot tolerate ambiguity.