Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower L/R/C vs 340SE L/R/C

Default Tower L/R/C vs 340SE L/R/C

I'm a brand new Ascend customer and never heard Ascend speakers before. I just ordered a set of Sierra Towers and Horizon center to audition. I'm doing a dedicated theater in a basement that is about 20X20X7.5. It will be 90% movies but the movies I watch tend to be "Indy"-type films with alot of musical content to the soundtrack--think Wes Anderson, Juno, Boogie Nights, Almost Famous to get the idea.

Now I'm starting o have second thoughts and wondering whether the Sierra Towers are too much speaker and/or too refined a speaker for the job I want them to do. Would the 340's be a better choice for this content and room size?

I'll have at least one sub maybe two. Cost isn't really an issue. They'll be likely driven with a Denon 3312 and the rooom will be treated acoustically.

The fronts will likely be hidden behind perf screen/false wall so looks aren't an issue. Also placement may be slightly easier with the 340s as they'll go behind the screen better.

Knowledgable Ascend listeners--what do you think? Thanks.

Default Re: Tower L/R/C vs 340SE L/R/C

Keep the towers as they will out perform the other speakers by quite a wide margin. I am not sure why you think they might be too much for that room. A 20 x 20 x 7.5 room is not small by any means!

I say stick with the towers. But I would opt for the stock NrT tweeter, not the RAAL ribbon tweeter if they are primarily for home theater.

Would 3 Horizons work better behind the screen? Something to consider since you could use them either horizontally or vertically.

and front ported horizons may be easier to place close to the walls which maybe important in this case

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Would 3 Horizons work better behind the screen? Something to consider since you could use them either horizontally or vertically.

Thanks for the tips so far...I didn't realize the Horizons were front ported. That might make alot of sense to use vertically as L/R along with center.

Is anyone doing this?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but where are the specs for the Horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Ray View Post
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but where are the specs for the Horizon?
    No, it is not obvious by any means. I do not think there is a product page for the Horizons yet.
    At this point parsing through the Horizons thread here is your best option.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...8&postcount=51

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=732

I especially like video linked in http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5&postcount=13

you'd have to FF to 1:28 for the cumshot

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Ray View Post
    I'll have at least one sub maybe two.
    Knowledgable Ascend listeners--what do you think? Thanks.
    I have 340's, never heard the towers, but I'd say stick with them. I also suggest Rhythmik subs. Run two, that will help with room anomolies.

Congrats on being able to have a dedicated home theater. I built one 18 months ago and just love it. All our friends are just bowled over, they think the PQ and AQ are much better than the local cineplex.

What size screen are you considering? What projector?

Thanks, DM...I'm getting a JVC RS4800 projector and a 105" 2.35:1 curved firehawk G3 microperforated screen with motorized masking. (Screen was a demo from a local showroom.)