Thread: Why polymer chassis instead of cast?

Pete,

The tweeter in our 340s uses a Zamak faceplate...

Zamak is overly expensive and very heavy. It is too rigid for a woofer frame and we have seen many of these cast frame woofer baskets actually crack. Polymer chassis woofers, in our tests, while not as rigid as Zamak, absorb unwanted resonance equally well, with the beneftis of being much lighter (less stress on the front baffle of the cabinet). To this day, I have never seen one actually crack.

The cost increase, if we were to use a Zamak frame, would put the CBM-170s out of reach for most consumers with little if any sonic benefits.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by davef

Pete,

The cost increase, if we were to use a Zamak frame, would put the CBM-170s out of reach for most consumers with little if any sonic benefits.

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's what I figured, but I thought I would ask. thanks

This technical stuff is interesting. Thanks for posting the question M3 Pete. It's interesting to know the reasons why particular materials/components are used in the Ascends.

Randy