Thread: Electrical circuit needs

Default Electrical circuit needs

I am setting up my HT for the first time. To ensure that I have clean power I added a new 15 amp circuit breaker, 12/2 wire, and outlet to the wall where my equipment will be. My question is should I go with 20 amps. After reading a bunch of material on the web I am worried about overloading the circuit. So I am thinking I should just change out the breaker with a 20 amp, buy a 20 amp outlet and surge protector. Everything will be behind wall (w\ access panel) so I want to get this right the first time. What are your all electrical configurations.

Thanks
    steve c

The system i have in boxes that I can't wait to finish installation of:
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
    Onkyo TX 806 Receiver
    Denon 1600 (Yes is an oldy, but a goody) DVD Player
    Ascend Sierra Mains
    Ascend Sierra Center
    Ascend 340 SE Side Surround
    Ascend 340 SE Back Surround
    Rythmik 15SE Subwoofer
    ATT UVERSE Receiver

Yet To Acquire:
    Blue Ray,
    Turn Table
    CD Player
    Pre Amp

Default Re: Electrical circuit needs

Well, you already ran the 12/2 so you can use a 20A breaker with no problem. However, I think a 15A breaker would be fine with your listed equipment. If you plan on adding an amp some day, then use the 20A.

-Dave

If you are worried about overloading the circuit with all that equipment, can you easily add a second circuit? Put the power hogs on separate circuits.
    -curtis

Dave, Thanks for the tip.. I am leaning to replacing the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp just to finish the job and heopefully forget about power needs. I can then set the 15 as a spare.
    steve

Curtis, Thanks for the tip. Unless it's absolutely necessary I want to refrain from putting another circuit in.. That would mean another wire run. I am thinking that the 5 extra amps will give me all the "buffer" I need.
    Steve

This is a late edition, I know, but I believe a 20-amp circuit requires 10-gauge wire, not 12. I've done some browsing through homes under construction, and all the 20-amp circuits were wired with 10-gauge and the 15-amp circuits with 12. I doubt the builders used larger wire than was required.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the info. Yup.. A bit Late.. My wiring was in place about 6 weeks ago.. But that's cool.. It may help someone else out. Anyways.. Here in Florida the code is 14/2 for 15 amp circuits and 12/2 for 20 amp.

Best To Ya,
    Steve

Fifteen amps will probably be sufficient. Most HT amps are fairly efficient. My tube amp, however, consumes 300 watts. You might want to get a power conditioner.