Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. That said, my center channel on has about 7" of space behind it, and crossed at 80hz. The use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement.
    Ok Curtis, I'm a bit confused. You said the "port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. But your center channel is crossed at 80hz, and "the use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement".

Quote Originally Posted by ride525 View Post
    Ok Curtis, I'm a bit confused. You said the "port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. But your center channel is crossed at 80hz, and "the use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement".
    Even though the port does not do much at that point, plug "A" did make an improvement.
    -curtis

I don't wish to put words in curtis's or davef's mouths, but Dave did mention that he noticed an improvement in imaging and soundstage when using Q-Plug B which he attributed to "the damping of spurious out-of-phase port noises that can cause subtle comb filtering".

I don't see any reason why similar effects shouldn't be expected from Q-Plug A, and might be responsible for the improvement that Curtis noticed when using it in his center-channel Sierra-1.

Hi, first post here. I am seriously considering replacing my current def tech CLR set up with Sierra's. Had a question about rear clearance.

Would 5" of clearance behind the Sierra's be enough to run them w/o plugs? I read that 12" was ideal. If plugs are recommended, which one(s) should I consider? I plan to run them with a sub but will experiment with 2.0 for music.

I didn't peruse each post in this thread but I did a cursory forum search for the answer to my question to no avail. Appologies if I missed it an am asking again.

jahjd2000,

The plugs come as a kit, with A plug and B plug. Looks like $12 for each speaker kit.

You might call Ascend and ask Dave about your need for plugs, and whether they might help.