Thread: Amping Sierras

Default Amping Sierras

I just received my Sierras and am powering them with an Arcam alpha one integrated amp. I was a bit worried since it is rated 35 W/ch @ 8 Ohms, and the 'minimum' is 45 according to Ascend. I have a pretty small room, like 11' x 12', and found that 35 W/ch is plenty in terms of volume. The most I turn the volume knob is around 9 or 10 o'clock. So, should I just be happy and stick with the Arcam, or am I missing out somehow by not having a more powerful amp? Also, besides power, how much would the Sierra's benefit from a higher quality amp, and in what ways?

Default Re: Amping Sierras

If it's loud enough for you, then you have plenty power. If you are not crossovered, you may miss some power in the low ranges at louder levels.

Default Re: Amping Sierras

Quote Originally Posted by malibu View Post
    I just received my Sierras and am powering them with an Arcam alpha one integrated amp. I was a bit worried since it is rated 35 W/ch @ 8 Ohms, and the 'minimum' is 45 according to Ascend. I have a pretty small room, like 11' x 12', and found that 35 W/ch is plenty in terms of volume. The most I turn the volume knob is around 9 or 10 o'clock. So, should I just be happy and stick with the Arcam, or am I missing out somehow by not having a more powerful amp? Also, besides power, how much would the Sierra's benefit from a higher quality amp, and in what ways?
    High malibu,

Your Arcam alpha has plenty of power to drive the Sierra-1 and I would consider it a high quality amp. Do you feel that you are running out of power at some point or not able to play the system loud enough?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com