Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cmt340's at large and use the subs crossover?

Default cmt340's at large and use the subs crossover?

Hey guys my receiver is as some of you know pretty old its a HK avr65 the crossover on it is non adjustable. I got my sub in but im missing some midbass from the mains. Can i run the mains at large like i have been and just use the sub's crossover for now until i upgrade my receiver? This should be the same thing ive been doing for the past few weeks just without the sub now i have it. Just wanted to double check before i did it thanks.

Default Re: cmt340's at large and use the subs crossover?

Not sure what sub you have, but you likely have pre amplification inputs.

Yes you can do that, and that's exctly why the sub has a crossover (isn't a analog dial great as compared a digital setting on a processor!) Line Level 2 channels to the sub, then line level back the processor. Crossover the sub to your liking.
    Last edited by dallas; 06-27-2008 at 10:35 AM.

the only thing i have on the receiver is a preout? It has a place for it but thats for 6 channel direct?
    Oh and the sub is a elemental designs a2-300. thanks for the help man.

I take that back, you _should_ be able to just send the pre-outs to the sub and not have to send anything back the processor. The pre-outs _should_ work basically as a splitter just before the amplification.

ok cool deal thanks again bud man im diggin my setup now hehe i know what im doing all weekend`

There should be a specific pre-out on the receiver for the sub.

If you run the mains as large, you will not be sending bass signals to the sub, unless you tell the receiver to do so.

If you send a fullrange signal to the sub and to the speakers, you will be a doubling of bass and should use the crossover at the sub to adjust for this, but you will not be alleviating the mains from doing bass work.
    -curtis

yeah i may just end up leaving them at small until i can get a receiver with adjustable crossover's prob put it at 70 or so. Supposed to be 20hz above lowest right which on the 340 is 48. just seems that 100 is a little too high for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

If you send a fullrange signal to the sub and to the speakers, you will be a doubling of bass and should use the crossover at the sub to adjust for this, but you will not be alleviating the mains from doing bass work.
    Curtis is right. I think the idea there is to set the crossover to the point where the mains are dropping off and not repoducing sound. The crossover lets you "marry" the two where you find appropiate within the limits of your sub and crossover's effective range.

Ahh...I see. Have you set them to small and calibrated the sub?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Ahh...I see. Have you set them to small and calibrated the sub?
    thats the thing i dont think my receiver even lets you calibrate my sub. I have no crossover on the sub nothing it just says sub ON or OFF. It is 10 years old but back in 99 it was top notch in HK ran about a grand or better. Im ordering a yamaha 663 soon because it will do just about everything i want and its cheap. How do i send a signal to the sub to calibrate it do i need a pink noise cd or what?