Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What listening mode?

I use plain 'ole stereo with the sub when I listen to music...unless it is SACD or DVD-A.

-curtis

I'm with Curtis - straight stereo.

Another straight-up stereo guy.

While the wife and kids were off to a ballgame the other nite I finally got to work fine tuning speaker placement with my new Ascends (340 l/c/r). Originally I kinda liked the sound of DPLII but after fine tuning the placement I feel running in stereo-direct is the most satisfying for me. I couldn't believe the imaging once everything was set. My daughter thought I was lying that the center channel was not on until I made her walk up to it and listen. I was amazed that an inch or two movement of speaker position made that much difference. I informed my wife that she CANNOT move the speakers even a fraction of an inch from now on!!! Her reply was that is fine because I get to vacuum the carpet from now on.

Randy

I usually use straight 2-channel stereo..but lately my denon 3803 has a 5-channel stereo mode that sounds pretty good....but still 2 channel stereo is still the best.

I guess it is upto the gears and main speakers(170 or 340). In my case, with 170 pair, DPL2 mode makes better sound stage(width and depth) and imaging with Yamaha rxv530 receiver. Anyone prefers 2 channel stereo mode versus DPL2 mode with 170 mains? I think mid range of 340c is way better than 170s so one way to use 340c is DPL2 mode in my case. Any thought?

p.s.my set
    340c
    170main
    200surr
    vtf-2

When I had 170's as my mains....I still preferred stereo over DPL2 for music. BradJudy uses 170's as well.

-curtis

I have the 170's as mains and prefer listening to my CD's in 2 channel. Only really use PL2 for movies and TV not in 5.1.

170 mains and 2-channel w/sub for music.

I started out preferring DPL2, but after switching back and forth several times on various tracks, I guess I now prefer Stereo+Sub except for the few Dolby Digital/DTS cd's I have.