Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any headphone recommendations from Ascend owners?

Default Any headphone recommendations from Ascend owners?

Expecting baby #2 soon, so looking for decent set of headphones. I've checked headfi.com and, no pun intended, all the headphone recommendations are making my head spin. Ones that are catching my attention so far are Sennheiser hd555 and hd595, Beyer DT770 and Audio Technica A900. Any other recs from fellow Ascend owners?

I have a set of Sony MDR-xd400 that I picked-up blind for about $70 at the Good Guys clearance sale and I'm not pleased with the sound (muffled, hollow sound, overall poor frequency range). Please help.

Preferences:
    -$100-150; absolute max $200 out-the-door
    -mainly movies & gaming (xbox 360 and PC games) and only some music
    -fairly lightweight & not incredibly bulky
    -don't really know, but probably prefer ones that do not require additional amp
    -noise cancelling not necessary as it will generally be quiet environs

I currently own Senn HD-600's, Grado SR-225's and Ety ER-6's. I used to own Grado SR-80s and AudioTechnica ATH-A900's. Unfortunately, I haven't tried most of the ones on your list.

The A900's were nice, but not as good as either the HD-600's or SR-225's IMO. Plus, I didn't care for their plastic leather earpads.

I think everything you mentioned is bulky, but they aren't too heavy. I tried on either the 555's or 595's in a store - they were pretty light, but just as big as my HD-600s.

Amazon has the HD-580's right now for $125. I got my pair last week and they sound excellent.

After doing some research on the net, I have ordered Grado SR80 from Amazon. I haven't received it yet. They are about $100 with shipping. WOuld have ordered sr-225, but I had spent most of my audio money on Ascends in the past year :-)

Quote Originally Posted by airs
    Amazon has the HD-580's right now for $125. I got my pair last week and they sound excellent.
    Yeah, saw that deal too. I read that's an excellent deal but that it neends an amp to get the most out of them. I have a Pio 74txvi receiver and the specs don't mention anything about it having powered headphone output. Is it common to have this in a receiver? Does it really matter with the 580, or are the headfi folks a bit hardcore?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Does it really matter with the 580, or are the headfi folks a bit hardcore?
    There is a hardcore element to every hobby and on-line forums are where you're likely to meet most of them. I posted earlier that I had 580's but they're actually 600's. I get my numbers confused because I have so many of them to remember and I'm getting into late middle age where we're pretty much happy when we remember anything.
    Brad's our resident expert on HP amps but I'll give ya my two cents. A separate amp is nice but it's not necessary to enjoy HP's. If you've never had an amp, then you're a lot less likely to be disappointed with your receivers output. I use my Senn's both with and without a separate amp. It works both ways. If I didn't have my amp, I'd still enjoy my headphones.

David

The biggest problem with headphones like the HD-580/600/650 is poorly powered headphone outputs. I wouldn't try them with most portable players and a lot of sound cards on computers. Headphone jacks on receivers are hit or miss, but most do fine with the 580/600/650s.

The Grados and AudioTechnica A900's are both easier to power. I've heard the Senn 555/595 are easier to power than the 580/600 too, but I've never tried them myself.

I have a Pio 74txvi receiver and the specs don't mention anything about it having powered headphone output. Is it common to have this in a receiver?
    Are you saying you don't know if it has a headphone jack? This should be obvious. Or, are you saying you don't know how powerful it is?

Since we are talking about headphones, I thought I would post a funny headphone story that happenned to me today.

I helped my Parents setup their HT, and anytime something goes wrong, they call me...as they should.

So I get a call this morning from my Dad, apparently the bulb went out on the HDTV they use most often. We talk a bit, and he is going to call for a bulb tomorrow.

Now they have to watch TV in the livingroom....a little less convenient because it is not next to the kitchen, but it is a bigger TV and that is where the Ascends are. Dad calls me back and says there is no sound. After a little trouble shooting, and since the kids and I were going to be there for dinner, I told him I would have a look when I got there.....he could just use the TV speakers for now.

I get there, have a quick look......noticed the headphones were plugged in.....I unplugged them....and there was sound! "I didn't know it did that", he said. "Dad, when you plug in the headphones, you don't want to hear the speakers". "Makes sense" was his reply.
    -curtis

Consider Earbuds from Shure. I use Shure 4EC (model # ?. I know they are # 4's) and am very pleased. Although MSRP is $320, you can buy on Ebay for under $200. Besides being small and lightweight, they are easily powered by an MP3 player as well. Honestly, sonic nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    Consider Earbuds from Shure. I use Shure 4EC (model # ?. I know they are # 4's) and am very pleased. Although MSRP is $320, you can buy on Ebay for under $200. Besides being small and lightweight, they are easily powered by an MP3 player as well. Honestly, sonic nirvana.
    I tried these briefly. They are amazing considering the size but they are different from traditional HPs. I wouldn't recommend buying these without trying them or buy from someone with a good return policy.

David