Thread: Best wire and configuration for my new 6.1

Default Best wire and configuration for my new 6.1

I just bought a 340SE center, left and right with three 170SE's for surrounds and rear. I also bought a HSU VTF-3 MK2 for my sub and a Yamaha 1700 receiver. Now I need to figure out how much wire and which wire to buy to make my speaker runs before I drywall the new HT room in the basement. Should I run double speaker runs for the fronts and center? What about direct to the fronts versus off the sub? Considering Ascends wire or at least a 12 guage alternative. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Just about any 12ga speaker wire you find at the places listed below will be more than fine. 14ga may work just as well.

Your receiver will have a seperate RCA connection for the sub, so no need to run the speakers from the sub.

Some places to look for cable are....

Home Depot....or your local hardware store.

partsexpress.com
    monoprice.com
    bluejeanscable.com
    -curtis

partsexpress.com, monoprice.com, bluejeanscable.com and ramelectronics.net, seem to be popular inexpensive (bluejeans probably a bit more than others) places to buy cabling.

Quote Originally Posted by bluto65
    Should I run double speaker runs for the fronts and center?
    For bi-wiring or bi-amping? From my limited research on these topics, I wasn't convinced I "needed" to try either. To be safe, you can always install the extra wires in-wall and pull them out if you neeed them.

Any 12 awg wire will be fine, alot of folks just use 16awg wire.
    I don't subscribe to the $8000 speaker wire theory myself, although I guess I don't qualify for the " TRUE " audiophile because of that ...
    Thats fine, Whatever.....
    12 to be sure , 14 if ya worried, 16 if your not worried ( I'd probably do 12 or 14 if in wall).
    The bigger the conductor, the less it will heat up under HEAVY loads.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

Thanks for the suggestions! I am running the wires in the walls, I may run double wire while I can just to have it there but it is somewhat pricey to do so since my AV equipment is in a closet in the back of the room. I appreciate the responses, Merry Christmas!

for what it's worth, you can get speaker cable pretty cheap if you check the car audio sections at some stores. i got a couple 50' rolls of 14awg speaker wire for $12 a piece at walmart. the same thing (although different brand and packaged differently) in the electronics department was almost twice as expensive.
    Last edited by drewface; 01-04-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I just got finished doing my setup with wire from bluejeanscable and it seems to be very high quality...they ship fast as well.