Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascend x-Over and Bi-Wiring Question

Default Ascend x-Over and Bi-Wiring Question

Hi,

Just received my 340SE's and Center yesterday to pair with my 170's. 3 Quick questions :

(1) On the back of the 340's, there's biwiring capabilities marked (I believe) treble and sub. I'm not biwiring, so would I just run the wire into the treble input or the sub ?

(2) I've read many posts here and elsewhere about setting x-over. I know that I'll need to experiment, but I'm thinking initially about setting x-over at 60 for the front and middle and at 80 for the rear's. Is that about the common agreed-to starting point ? I've got an HK AVR130 which allows for the multiple x-overs.

(3) Also, in my case, would I set the speaker size to small or large ? I'm currently running a Polk Sub (until I can afford a Hsu) connected directly to the sub out on my HK.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking to dial in my settings this weekend, but I wanted at least a baseline to get started with.

1. As long as the brass jumpers are in place between the upper and lower connections, it does not matter which input you use.

2. That is a good starting point.

3. Small. But I would also try running the mains as large without the Polk sub to see how it sounds.
    -curtis

1 - Doesn't matter

2 - Try both 60 and 80 for the 340s and see which you like best. I'd recommend 80 for the 170s.

3 - Definitely "Small"

That Curtis is a fast b*stard.

41 mins? you guys are getting old.....
    Jon O.

I tried to type fast because I was heading to a meeting.
    -curtis

Thanks for the quick response. Will use these as the baseline before tweaking this weekend. Thanks again !!

Noobie question: I just got my Ascend 340SE center speaker and need clarification about regular speaker connection. Since I am not using the bi-wire option I just connected my speaker wire from receiver to the bottom connectors marked woofers. Does it matter which post I use as long as observe the correct polarity and have/leave the metal connector between the two posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DVDIT
    Does it matter which post I use as long as observe the correct polarity and have/leave the metal connector between the two posts.

Nope. You've got it right.

I have a two channel 100 watt amp sitting around. I wanted to bi-amp the center to see if that improves the sound of the 340SE center. I have heard about standard and vertical bi-amping. Which is better? Can someone please tell me how to do this the right way,risk free? I don't want to make a mistake and up smokin' my electronics.