Thread: Wiring 340's w/sub

Default Wiring 340's w/sub

Hi all,

Just bit the bullet last week and ordered 340's Front & Center and 170 Rears. While waiting for them to be delivered, I want to start running some new, higher-gauge wires and get my AV system ready. Here's my question - on my older set-up, I had smaller cube speakers up front (cough-cough, ****) that had wiring from the speaker to the sub and then the sub to my HK AVR130. With the 340's, I presume that I can just wire directly from the speakers to the AVR and bypass wiring thru the sub ? I still have the sub connected to the AVR via preout, but being that space is a premium behind my AVR, I'm trying to hook everything up at once in preparation for my new Ascend's. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You got it right.

AVR to speakers.

Sub pre-out to sub.

Set the crossover on the sub itself to out or off. If it doesn't have a switch, set the crossover to the highest setting.

Use the crossover setup on the AVR. I would start at 80hz and move it up or down according to how it sounds to you.
    -curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback - I'll follow your advice. My only question is your comment on setting the x-over on the actual sub. The x-over dial seems to go from 80 - 200. Are you saying I should set this to the lowest setting (i.e. 80 ?). Thanks again.

What Curtis is saying is......

If the sub has a "Bypass", or "In/Out" switch, which sends the LFE signal to the sub bypassing the crossover.....use that.

If the sub does not have a bypass, set the crossover dial to it's "Highest" setting, in your case 200Hz. This keeps the crossover out of the way of the bass management of the AVR.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

yeah...what Mag said.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    What Curtis is saying is......

If the sub has a "Bypass", or "In/Out" switch, which sends the LFE signal to the sub bypassing the crossover.....use that.

If the sub does not have a bypass, set the crossover dial to it's "Highest" setting, in your case 200Hz. This keeps the crossover out of the way of the bass management of the AVR.
    Thanks Ed & Curtis. My sub does not have any bypass/in-out switch, and instead only has the x-over dial and volume setting. I'll go ahead and set the x-over to 200 and set my HK AVR130 Front x-over to 80 and check the results. I plan on someday updating to a Hsu Sub to pair with the Ascend's, but want to try give the sub I've got a chance first. Thanks again for the quick assist.