Thread: What Speaker Wire do you use with your ASCENDS??

Any good quality speaker cable will do fine. Many people on the net buy 12 gauge SoundKing speaker cable from partsexpress.com.

-curtis

So I've decided to make my own speaker cables for the heck of it.

I bought 12gauge copper wire, silver plated, with a teflon cover. I bought 50ft in blue, another 50ft in white and will twist them together.. Cost me $33. Will make two 15ft pairs...and one 10ft pair (a pair in this case meaning two wires), so I will have 10feet leftover. Six pairs of banana plugs was about $24 at PartsExpress. Some shrink wrap..$4. And some TechFlex for all three cables about $23. So about $84 for three speaker cables, $57 if I didn't want them to look good.

Everything should be here by Tuesday. I have the wire now....and it is pretty heavy. Couple of things, the cable is not that flexible, and the strand count is not that high. If I do it again, I might go try a four conductor set and use 14 gauge.

The wire is from apexjr.com and the rest from PartsExpress. I do not expect it to sound any better than what I have now. I just wanted to make the area look a little nicer...so I decided to give this a try.

I will post pictures when I am done.

-curtis

I'm using some 12 gauge that I bought from Lowe's for around 27 cents/foot (maybe less, I don't remember exactly). That is also pretty common for people to do. I think Home Depot used to carry 12 gauge, but the ones around me don't any longer.

I'll be using some 12 or 14 guage i already own for my front 3 speakers (cant tell for sure by looking). I kinda dont like it cause it looks like one strand is copper and the other is aluminum, but hey - i already own it so why go buy more.

For my rear HTM-200s that i will be wall mounting, i'll be using white 16 guage I bought at radio shack this past week. Yeah, yeah, i know - 16 guage is too small, but i'm trying to keep my wife happy, and my wiring job will probably be jerry rigged as opposed to going though the wall, so i need it as small as possible without compromising the sound. My rear wire runs will be under 50 feet so i should be ok with "new" copper 16 guage.

Azanon

I ended up using radio shack 16 guage all around. I cant get 14 guage or larger to go completely into the holes on the back of my sony receiver without messing up the strands (and yes, i twist the wire prior as much as i can).