Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is upconversion worth $100? Do I need it on my receiver?

Default Is upconversion worth $100? Do I need it on my receiver?

Decided on the following:

System 33-23 (340 mains + 340 center + 170 rears + VTF2) + 1pr TP24 stands

Now I am trying to figure out if I should spend $100 extra for the HK AVR-635 over the AVR-435. I have a two devices (DirecTV and ReplayTV) that are not component. They are either S-Video or RCA. There is no component for the DirecTV. I can use component for the ReplayTV if I choose, but why bother? I'd also like to be prepared for the future. Say someone brings a VHS tape and I need to hook up a VCR. I'd want to be able to do that.

However, I have both composite and s-video inputs on my plasma. Problem? I will have to switch the plasma display mode over plus the receiver mode. I know, just one button push. But sort of a pain.

So, how did you guys decide? Was upconversion worth the extra money? AFAIK, there are no other differences between the two versions.
    Peace!
    Sygyzy

I can't say if it's worth $100 extra bucks, but I did want to point out that the 635 also has 10W/ch more of power than the 435.

Having upconversion does make switching sources much easier. You only have to press one button instead of changing both audio and video seperately. You will also probably save quite a bit in cables by having fewer connections, since only one will be needed to go to the TV or projector.
    No matter where you go, There you are

it is actually more cables to go to the receiver and then to the source.

If you go straight from source to TV....that is once set of cables per source.

If you go fro source to receiver to TV....that is one set of cables for each source to the receiver, and then one set of cables from the receiver to the TV.

The video purists will say to go source straight to the TV.
    -curtis

Thumbs up

I'm in agreement with Karp. I use my Denon 3803's upconversion feature. I feed everything into the TV via the component connection now.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Good universal remotes can make-up for any inconvenience with switching too. I use my receiver for audio only for now (optical ins), with video via HDMI. As, already mentioned, maybe the other things can make the extra $100 worth it too (e.g. extra power, OSD via component (I believe the 435 does not, etc). FWIW, I'm learning in AVS, "upconversion" may be a misnomer, with "video transcoding" being a more appropriate term. Apparently, only receivers with things like Faroudja chips (e.g. HK 7300) can truly upconvert the signal to higher resolutions.
    Last edited by BGHD; 08-01-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    it is actually more cables to go to the receiver and then to the source.

If you go straight from source to TV....that is once set of cables per source.

If you go fro source to receiver to TV....that is one set of cables for each source to the receiver, and then one set of cables from the receiver to the TV.

The video purists will say to go source straight to the TV.

True, you will have one more cable. Of course, I am saving money by having 4 short cables going to my receiver and one long component cable going to my TV. Also, changing sources on both my TV and receiver is a royal PITA. My Dennon has 100Mhz of bandwidth (which is overkill compaired to what an HD component connection requires) so I don't think I am loosing any picture quality. I did do a comparison and could not detect any differences.
    No matter where you go, There you are

[Edit] Sorry... after reading this thread a little more closely, I realized my post didn't add anything of substance...
    Last edited by sensibull; 08-01-2005 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    [Edit] Sorry... after reading this thread a little more closely, I realized my post didn't add anything of substance...
    Gheez Sensibull...no need to apologize...my posts NEVER add anything of substance!!

Randy

The 635 also adds HDCD decoding and an extra 10 amps of high current power (40 to 50). I think most of the rest of the differences were covered earlier..
    Jon O.