Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Receivers for Dummies

Default Receivers for Dummies

That dummy in question is me!

I have an Onkyo 501 which has 6.1 channels. It is pretty good but the next logical step for me is a better receiver, I think.

I have Axiom M22s with a M2 center, some Athena surrounds that I think blend okay with the Axioms, and some cbm 170s in the bedroom (but they are currently replacing the M22s and being used as 2.1 channels - just to compare). Also a Velodyne CT8? 8 inch speaker sub (I forget which one now - but it got good reviews. It ain't a Hsu or an SVS, but it is a pretty good sub from what I have read).

Axiom surrounds would cost about $400. 2 more 170s as surrounds might cost me my marriage since the living room is VERY small. The Athena R1s are a nice small size that she doesn't mind. So a better receiver might kick everything up a few notches.

Questions:

1) What to look for in receivers? Is it really how I hear them? I have read that below about 0.08% thd it doesn' make any difference. And the Onkyo has been measured by an audio magazine as putting out about 48 watts per channel at 0.06% thd (if I remember correctly) which seems more than loud enough in my small room - and the Axioms and the Ascends are both easy to drive (ascends are easier/louder).

2) People seem to like Harmon Kardon, and even more Nad and even more Rotel, I guess. Why? And is it really subjective? How can one receiver be clearly "better" but that "better" cannot be measured? Or can it be measured?

3) So, would a NAD or a HK be a good step up? I could get a stereo receiver for cheaper than a surround one and just hook up the 170s to it in the bedroom. Sure, another sub would be great - but there is no room in that bedroom!

I hope my questions are clear - it is late.

i think your most logical step is getting synergy throughout your surround sound. put together a system that has speakers from the same series. (the axiom qs4 is smaller than your current surrounds) then, maybe, get a hsu stf-2. axiom owners are very pleased with hsu subs. i had a hsu stf-2 with axiom m-60s and loved it. sell the old item(s) on ebay.

unless your room is very large, i don't think another receiver is going to do much for you compared to a more tuned setup.
    Last edited by metalaaron; 07-09-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks for the tip

I thought the Q4s were larger than the Athena R1s. I will have to check it out.

The athena r1s were about $120 at bestbuy, and the Q4s are about $400 at axiom. But, if that is the next step - so be it!

i was only guessing that this is the specific athena model you had for surrounds.

yes, i agree with you about the price jumping out. that's a significant cost change just for surround speakers. there may very well be others who would disagree with what i recommended ... most importantly your wife. hehehe

(check ebay and audiogon.com for sale references on your athena surrounds)
    Last edited by metalaaron; 07-10-2005 at 07:52 PM. Reason: wanted to add ebay recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by donkelly
    I have an Onkyo 501 which has 6.1 channels. It is pretty good but the next logical step for me is a better receiver, I think.
    1) What to look for in receivers?
    I don't believe you will receive any meaningful benefit from a new receiver. I'm going to try one of the new digital amp'ed receivers just out of curiosity.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4032232

Upgrade to get the features you want but don't expect much improvement in the sound. Spending the money on a new sub would make a difference. $40 for a Radio Shack SPL meter would also be a good investment. Have fun shopping.

David

I'm curious about Panny xr55 too. Please post results bikeman when/if you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    I'm curious about Panny xr55 too. Please post results bikeman when/if you get it.
    You can count on it. In depth.

David

I recommended the XR55 to a friend of mine a year or so ago, and helped her set it up. It is only powering an Aperion 2.1 setup right now, but it seems to work well with no shortcomings.
    -curtis

Axioms are smaller! Alright!

Athena AS-R1
    ----------
    7.1" (180mm) H x
    12.4" (314mm) W x
    7.1" (180mm) D
    (actually 6.4" deep by my ruler)

Axiom Q4
    --------
    Dimens. H W D (inches): 6.25" x 9.5" x 6 "
    Dimens. H W D (mm): 159 x 241 x 152

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I recommended the XR55 to a friend of mine a year or so ago, and helped her set it up. It is only powering an Aperion 2.1 setup right now, but it seems to work well with no shortcomings.
    The 55 was just released this week. There are a few guys on AVS who've received theirs and I'm waiting on a bit more feedback before I order. Previous models, the 10, 25, 45, 50 and 70 are all out there so it was probably one of these that your friend has. The 45 seem to get the nod for music and the 70 for features.

David