Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HTM-200s (x5) Calibration ?

Default HTM-200s (x5) Calibration ?

I've finally started calibration of my system. I realize room acoustics play an integral part in calibration. But no matter what, I get a large peak at 90hz.

SVS PB10 sub.
    AVR set 80hz xover, small.
    No filtering, or processing going on.
    Bass/Treble set to 0.

It just seems odd to me with the AVR set to 80hz and the brick wall the 200s have at 80hz that the system would peak at 90hz. This is pretty much the case no matter what phase setting I use on the sub.

Will the 200s perform to full potential using a 60 or 100hz xover?
    Yes, I've inquired on another forum, but figured I'd come to the source regarding the 200s. Graphs using two different phase settings below.

My understanding is that all rooms display a peak such as yours at one frequency or another.

I would try different crossover points and see how it sounds to you. I would start with 100hz.
    -curtis

The 200s definitely don't hit a 'brick wall' at 80Hz. If you look at these graphs: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...tm200meas.html you'll see that they roll off at about 12db/octave. Your receiver is probably rolling off the sub at 24db/octave, so there will be some overlap. That said, it could also be a room issue.

Thanks guys,

Forgive my noobness. I'll try 100hz xover and see what happens. I tend to think in absolutes, when that is apparently not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD2
    Thanks guys,

Forgive my noobness. I'll try 100hz xover and see what happens. I tend to think in absolutes, when that is apparently not the case.
    Glad to see someone else on the board from upstate New York. We need to balance out all those "wrong coasters" who inhabit here. The WC's do know how to build excellent speakers at a reasonable price.

David

It's 'Left Coaster's' to you, pal...

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Haven't forgotten about this thread, just had something serious to deal with. Apparently, dual posting is not a breach of decorum. I have some more experimenting with sub placement and measurements to do this weekend. I'll update and look for suggestions soon.

Thanks,

Jeff

Serious OT here...
    How's the wife? Sorry to hear about the difficulty.... though I read about the successful outcome. That's good to hear.

shane

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD2
    Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Haven't forgotten about this thread, just had something serious to deal with. Apparently, dual posting is not a breach of decorum. I have some more experimenting with sub placement and measurements to do this weekend. I'll update and look for suggestions soon.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Here's the results of the day's work. Used pink noise from DVE (NOT the subtones) to calibrate to 75 dB. FWIW- DVE's sub tones resulted in absolutely silly readings. I used the AVR sub tone to adjust to 3 dB hot. Also rotated the sub 180°.

A peak at 45Hz, but boy, am I smooooooth from 50-90. I just listened to music for about an hour or so, and my system has never sounded better.

Of course, there's always room for improvement, like taming that 45 a bit and boosting the 100-110. Any suggestions?

Wifey is just fine, thank you. If you saw her, you simply would not believe she had brain surgery last weekend. One week later, 100% back to normal, except for no complaints about me cranking Ozzy!

Change to a 100Hz crossover and that should clean up the dip.