Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loudness

Default Loudness

Does anyone know what spec. indicates or gives you a good idea how loud a speaker can get?

The main spec to look at is sensitivity/effeciency (high the number, the more db per watt a speaker produces), but the impedance also matters (cheaper amps will have a harder time driving speakers with a low impedance).

For example, the CMT-340 has a sensitivity of 91db with 1 watt at 1 meter (the standard for this measurement). (The CBM-170 is 89db and the HTM-200 is 87db). Speakers typically range in the 80s and 90s on sensitivity, but there are extreme examples beyond that range. Horn speakers can be over 100db @ 1W/1m. I can't recall the last time I saw one that was in the 70s.

That said, neither spec is any indication about how good a speaker sounds.

The spec's for this speaker are similar, so how would one know if one speaker compared to another would play louder

2-way in a bass reflex enclosure, bookshelf or standmounting (recommended)
    Woofer: 1 x 130 mm. (5")
    Tweeter: 1 x 25 mm. (1")
    Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
    Crossover frequency: 6 kHz
    Sensitivity: 90 dB/W/1m
    Frequency response: 60 Hz-20 kHz (± 3 dB)
    Amplifier recommended power: 60 (rms)- 120 (max) watt

There really isn't a way of telling by looking at the manufacturers' specs.

You need to find a common third party that has tested and measured the speakers. What you are looking for are distortion vs SPL measurements.

Otherwise, you need to compare the speakers side by side, same room, same equipment.

And to reiterate what Brad posted, how loud a speaker can get is no indication on how good it sounds.
    -curtis

Given the close sensitivities (89 and 90), the best that can be said is that they will be very close in SPL level for a given power input. As Curtis pointed out, distortion vs SPL is a spec that generally isn't provided by speaker companies, but is sometimes covered in third-party analysis (although often not). This is an important factor for the output continuing to sound good at high volumes.

Thanks guys,
    I understand louder will not be better, but one of the reasons I am looking at new speakers is because my current ones do not play that loud when watching movies

what are your current speakers?

How far away from the speakers do you sit? How big is the room? And what are you driving them with?
    -curtis

The room is about 12x15
    Seating is about 8-10 feet away
    Running Triangle Titus with a Marantz sr5400
    Seems to get plenty loud for music, maybe I just dont listen to music that loud, but while playing movies it just cant seem to get up to a good level

Nothing difficult about that room size and seating distance. CBM-170's should handle that with no problem and drive you out of the room. Triangle makes some good stuff.

what part of the sound seems to be lacking?

Is everything calibrated? What happens if you turn the volume up, does the sound get distorted?
    -curtis

no its a small area so it shouldnt be an issue. I was thinking it was my receiver but I have other speakers before and they seemed like they reached a much more "loud" state when driven to the same level