Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What/Who is your favorite group/singer?

Eva Cassidy's voice sounds great on the Ascends! []

-curtis

greg
    My all time fav. album is The Wall,but i also have to give props to the newer music also--very good

Polly Jean Harvey does it for me. Words can't express how amazing of an artist I think she is. Passionate, dark, mysterious, funny, versatile and vocally inventive. It's become amusing to see the number of musicians who trip over themselves to sing her praises and request to have her collaborate on their records.

Also, of late, Neko Case. Picture a very modern age woman, dabbling in the realm of alt-rock/country with a powerful voice channeling the ghost of Patsy Cline.

I've also been into Roxy Music again lately. Such a brilliant band that never really got their due here in the USA. Download 'In Every Dream Home a Heartache' from the For Your Pleasure album. Wow.

oh, and Larry.. have you heard about the David Gilmour DVD? I guess it's been out for a while now, I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard that's good too. A little more acoustic in nature, but getting lots of positive reviews on Amazon.com, even from people who wouldn't normally be into that kind of stuff.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Eva Cassidy's voice sounds great on the Ascends! []

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yea Curtis, I know. I know. I'll be getting a pair of Ascends 'one of these days'*

* a pun for Floyd fans. []

thx greg ill have to go look up roxy dont know if i ever heard them or not

Larry.H - About Roxy, you may have heard their popular song from the 70's, 'Love is the Drug'. Maybe their next biggest song here was 'More Than This', which got a second life, becoming a minor hit when 10,000 Maniacs covered it a few years ago.

Brian Eno was an early member, but left as he had own ideas to explore, essentially pioneering ambient music as well as producing other artists, U2 among them.

The band featured a powerful drummer, a fiery guitarist, and the world-weary love songs of Bryan Ferry, who presented himself as this slick lounge singer, singing mostly tales of romantic disappointment. The song I mentioned in my previous post is about a guy who has all the finer things in life, but remains lonely, ordering an inflatable doll for *cough* company. [:I]

It's creepy and sad, and maybe a commentary on the isolating nature of modern culture.

Their last album, 'Avalon', has gotten rave reviews for the SACD re-release, second only to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' for sonic quality.

lmao i dont have a sacd or dvda player(yet) but i will sure go and find the music and give it a listen

Wait second....Roxy Music's Avalon is available in SACD? I got to get it!

-curtis

My favorite group seems to depend on my mood....

In High school and college it was Yes and the Who. For a while ther it was anything by Clapton and John Lee Hooker.

Currently I am on Led Zepelin. The new DVD is great as well as the DVD-Audio relese of there live shows from Long Beach and LA.

Dave Nelms