Thread: Avia or dve

Default Avia or dve

Hello ive been following everyone on this site for a long while. my system 2323 should be hear on the 25th of may cant wait. I vaule all the opinons from all forum memebers. learned alot form kpt krunch, reading post form lee baily, nicholas mosher, quinn, bikeman and meany more. My question is I dont own a video cailbration disk and i have tow options Avia and Dve. Avia hear in canada is $80 and Dve is $40 would like to hear opions on which one would be best to use. my new reciever is H/K 335 340c 170s around with hsu vtf2.

Hi there. Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you'll
    be quite pleased.
    As far as Avia vs. DVE, they are pretty much the same except
    for one thing, and it's important for your display- DVE has test
    patterns for passing blacker-than-black information and Avia
    does not. This is especially important if you have a digital display
    like a plasma television.
    As far as audio goes, they both have everything you could need
    for setting up your speakers and dialing everything in nicely.
    I own Avia.

Two things I want to add. The AVIA disk is much easier to navigate and subwoofer calibration is differnet on DVE disk. You can compensate for the sub calibration but at least be aware of it.

David

Lightbulb

I would look for the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up DVD . It came from Avia, and includes tones for 6.1 systems as well. Very easy to use, you can buy it shipped for $21.95 at the sound and vision site.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    I would look for the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up DVD . It came from Avia, and includes tones for 6.1 systems as well. Very easy to use, you can buy it shipped for $21.95 at the sound and vision site.
    That sounds just like AVIA for less money. Give that some consideration Jo.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Two things I want to add. The AVIA disk is much easier to navigate and subwoofer calibration is differnet on DVE disk. You can compensate for the sub calibration but at least be aware of it.

David
    I have the DVE disc and I must admit that it is quite difficult to navigate the chapters/menus. I even go as far to say that there is some learning curve associated with it. It's not quite straightforward how everything is organized, and the navigation w/the remote isn't very intuitive/user friendly. It works, but it's not easy.

THank you very much for the info. well never though about the one from sound and vision. i might have to find more info and see if they ship to canada with fed ex, not too pleased with Ups and i havent recieved my first pair of 170's yet from canada post.
    But i do love what i have so far. havent tried it with the h/k im taking a break from the reciever swap out. Hsu sub is awesome so far. bass is very clean no booming sound i feel some infrosonics even though i havent played the sub loud yet.

geez jojo....it seems that you have been waiting for that pair of 170's forever...sorry to read about that.

I just recently got Chesky's "Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Set-up Disc". I think it is very good and easy to use. It is only audio though.
    -curtis

Yeah that pair of 170's i just dont know. i thouhg i was going to enjoy them before the rest of the system came but im happy with what i got so far. the stores that are in my area seem to dont carry any setup disk and the dvd audio is lacking but im still looking. ill call david after the long weekend to see if he can track down that missing pair