PDA

View Full Version : Center channel mounting solutions

davef
04-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is what I did in my home using a TV bracket I came across. This is the PERFECT center channel bracket for the CMT-340c. The bracket is rated at over 70lbs and angles the speaker downward at a perfect 7 degs. It is extremely secure and easy to mount and adjust. You can adjust the vertical angle (0 to 7 degrees) and adjust the horizontal angle if needed.

The front of the speaker will be approx 22" from the wall behind it. From my couch and looking at an upward angle, everything is hidden and it looks as if the speaker is floating.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/CenterChannelBracket003.jpg

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/CenterChannelBracket001.jpg

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/CenterChannelBracket004.jpg

These are now in stock, please give us a call if you wish to order one (they should be on the site soon)

Bracket = $50 + $8.00 UPS ground shipping

Thanks!

davef
04-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Are there any issues with placing the speaker this close to the wall since it is ported in the rear?

None whatsoever... The bracket is 21 3/4" in total length from the wall behind it. The rear baffle of the speaker is 14.25" from the wall. This is more than enough clearance.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/ascenduploads/CenterBracketDimensions.gif

It looks to me that the speaker now doesn't even go past the TV screen. Isn't that creating any problems?

Good eyes Lee :D ... Actually, I position the tv so that it is almost exactly flush with the front of the speaker (measures best when the speaker extends about 1" past the TV, buy my wife thinks it looks best when it is flush).

My TV (like most DLP, DILA, Plasma or LCD on stand) is less than 17" deep. This gives me plenty of room for optimal positioning.

The TV extends past the speaker in the pictures because I moved the TV forward so I could get behind and take a few pictures. :o

Hmmmm....DaveF doesn't have an Ascend logo on his center channel....hehehe

Curtis.... nothing gets past you, does it :p

No logo.. no labels and not even a crossover in that unit. My personal 340 system is at the office this week undergoing some much needed refurbishing. My future speaker builder and his friends did quite a job on daddy's speaker cabinets. I figure, better that they pretend to "fix" the speakers then the TV :eek:

Hope this info helps out!

jimsiff
05-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I tried to get away with a wall mount like that, but my wife resisted. We're moving the theater setup downstairs later this year where I won't have the ability to do a wall mount anyhow.

This is my attempt at a compromise: I built a DIY Salamander clone TV stand and put the 340C on a shelf below the TV. I noticed right away that the dialog was pulled down below the TV when compared to a phantom center channel image.

When I added the Auralex MoPads, the center channel image improved since the speaker was angled towards the listening position. I can still tell if I pay attention, but it's not bad. That said, the top edge of the 340C is still about 3/4" behind the front lip of the stand. It's the best I could do without having the bottom of the speaker hang over the edge a couple inches. I'm not sure how much it affects the sound quality, but whatever it does it can't be good.

I'd consider putting the 340C on a dedicated stand in front of the TV, but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. :D If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?

s2pdname
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
but I'm lazy and want my remote to work. :D If I could rig up an IR remote extender, I'd consider it. Any ideas?

I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.

LampCord
05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
In one of the reviews I read, the guy used standard rubber door stops to tilt the 340 Center down at the correct angle.

Sounded just crazy enough to work.

curtis
05-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Can you pull the speaker out just a tad more, or is the idea to make sure very little protrudes from the stand?

This doesn't help your situation, I like the stand. If it didn't cost so much, I probably would have gotten a Salamander. Are you going to make doors too?

IR repeaters are available. You can actually stick the extension emitters right on to the IR receiver of the TV, and place the extension receiver anywhere.

I use Mopads to angle my center channel down a bit...they work great.

BradJudy
05-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Jim,

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing this year.

One thing that just occured to me is the possibility of having a shelf that slides out a bit for the center channel, so it can stick out during movies, but be fully inside the rack when not in use. It should just require sturdy bottom mounted drawer slides.

jimsiff
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Curtis, I can pull the speaker out a bit more, but I fear for the 340's life with my 1 year old girl, and 5 and 7 year old boys running around. :eek: I might try it out and see what happens.

I agree, the cost of the Salamander is pretty steep. My quote for a Triple 20 with sides, doors, locks, an extra shelf, and extended rear panels was $1660!!! ... and it wouldn't accomodate a 340C on the center shelf. I built this stand for around $350. I am going to build frame and panel doors out of maple with safety glass inserts. They will look similar to the Salamander doors.

I'm sure I can google it, but do you know a good place to get IR repeaters?

Brad, I had the same idea about a sliding shelf. Salamander sells sliding shelf hardware, but you might be able to get similar stuff from tslots.com, 8020.net, or another vendor. It might be difficult to adapt standard cabinet slides to the slotted tubing.

The only reason I didn't try the sliding shelf idea is it would turn into a novelty for my 1 year old. I can see it now... in and out and in and out the shelf goes. :D

BradJudy
05-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Jim,

I wasn't thinking of mounting to the uprights. You should be able to get get rails that would go between a sliding shelf and your existing shelf, assuming you have the height clearance for an extra layer.

jimsiff
05-06-2005, 04:03 PM
D'oh! That's a great idea. Sometimes I overanalyze a problem and forget the KISS principle. I'd love to see your stand when you get to working on it.

BradJudy
05-06-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll post some when I make it, but I doubt it will look as nice as yours. The wood trim on the shelves is very nice. I'll have to look into doing uprights like yours instead of simple threaded rod. Any tips on building one?

jimsiff
05-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah... I've got a few tips... based on the Salamander style stand.

1) Order the hardware kit for a Triple 20 from Salamander. It's not much more expensive than the alternatives and the hardware looks and works better than the available stuff from McMaster-Carr.

2) Order the aluminum extrusions from a vendor such as tslots.com (http://www.tslots.com) and have them cut them to length. They can tap the ends, but you'll need about 2 to 2 1/2" of thread depth. If they can't tap that deep you need to use a 5/16x18 nut tap (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/Framework.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=2243&CtlgEdition=111&fam=taps&ppe=4&ppr=1&psm=0&psl=3&) that has a reduced shank. You can only get about 1" of thread depth with a standard tap. The cost savings is about 65% over Salamander.

3) If you want casters for the base, order them from L. G. Rathbun. (http://www.lgrathbun.com/saturn.htm) I believe they are the OEM for the Salamander casters. You want the Saturn 30s with the T12 stem and your choice of finishes. You can order the casters with or without brakes. The cost savings is about 40% over Salamander.

4) You can make the stand easier or more challenging to build depending on your available tools, time, and experience.

The bullnose edging I used requires the most time and tools. You need a circular saw, table saw, miter saw, biscuit joiner, belt sander, rotary sander, router w/ 3/8" 1/4 round bit, a bunch 24" clamps for the front/back edges and 2-3 7' bar clamps for the side edges. You can get by with a slightly different tool set, but that's what I used.

If you like the bullnose edge but don't want to bother with hardwood trim, you can get Appleply for the top and bottom which is 100% void free plywood with a birch/alder core and maple veneer. It looks nice with an exposed edge (http://www.rnbrookwoodworking.com/Cabinets/european%20cabinets.htm) unlike most plywood. You don't need the table saw, miter saw, biscuit joiner, clamps, or belt sander, but you will need the router. Appleply is expensive though, about $100 for a 4x8x3/4" sheet. You'd only need one sheet to cover the top, bottom and side panels. You could make the shelves out of MDF or less expensive matching plywood.

Easiest of all would be to make the top and bottom pieces rectangular and use matching iron on edge banding to finish the edges of the plywood. Here's the example (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=5124023&fullpage=1) I found on AVS that inspired me to build my stand. Here's that stand (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=5101140&fullpage=1) finished and in place. He used black painted MDF for the shelves instead of matching oak. It's a nice contrast.

5) Make the stand height so the center of your TV screen is about eye level. A few inches up or down isn't a big deal, but the closer the better. I found that 18" is about perfect for my Samsung DLP. Vertical viewing angle is the main weakness of most microdisplays, so sitting squarely in the sweet spot is the best idea.

6) Use an easy to use finish. Danish Oil and wipe-on oil based poly are my favorites because it's easy to get a nice smooth finish without brush strokes or bubbles in the finish.

If you have any questions as you move forward, just ask.

BradJudy
05-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks Jim, lots of good information. This is definitely a cooler option than threaded rod (I have done one threaded rod rack and one gas pipe rack). I can't seem to find the hardware kit on Salamander's site. Do you have a link?

jimsiff
05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
You have to call them to order it, but you can get the part number from the installation instructions available on their site. I believe the part number was PHK-470, and $40 plus shipping. Extra shelf pegs (3 sets are in the kit) are $2 each. You need two PHK-370 and two PHK-380 for each shelf.

mattepntr
05-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi all,
Unless you have a projector screen you can place your speakers
behind, the majority of us are having to place our center speakers
either above or below our display. Does anyone know if it matters
which it is? I heard a discussion about this at AVS years ago, but
I can't remember the consensus.
One is preferable to the other, based on how we hear, if I recall.
So what's the best- above or below?

Rick

jimsiff
05-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Above the screen and flush with or slightly in front of the screen is best. We don't localize sounds from above as readily as we do from below. Also, many people have furniture (coffee tables) between their screen and listening position. The acoustic anomalies that creates are only compounded when a speaker has to fire at furniture on the way to the ears.

s2pdname
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if this mounting bracket swivels horizontally? Based on Dave's pics, it doesn't look like it, but I would need to swivel the support arm a little to the left as my TV is not centered on a wall stud.

jimsiff
05-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Almost all TV mounts I have seen swivel horizontally. I would imagine it does. You should call Ascend to find out for sure... Dave is now stocking it for $50 + $8 shipping.

Lou-the-dog
05-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm (almost) positive it does rotate/swivel.

Randy

s2pdname
05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if this mounting bracket swivels horizontally? Based on Dave's pics, it doesn't look like it, but I would need to swivel the support arm a little to the left as my TV is not centered on a wall stud.

Just got off of the phone with Dave F., and for anyone who was wondering, the support arm of this specific tv stand does not swivel side to side. However, the company (pinpointmarketinginc.com) does list a bracket that will swivel, model #BT 518. This bracket also lists for $50, but it is silver.

I guess another option would be to move my tv, and stand, so that it is centered.

s2pdname
05-13-2005, 05:53 PM
However, the company (pinpointmarketinginc.com) does list a bracket that will swivel, model #BT 518.

Sorry, I listed the website address incorrectly. This should work.

http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/

sygyzy
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
What is the best way to install this?

There are four holes in the mount, that are staggered.

X

X

X

X

There are very large screws and wall anchors. The width of the mounting plate (with holes) is over 0.5". So you cannot just install them in studs. Are they meant to be mounted directly to drywall (only)? Or half drywall, half stud, or what?

I don't want to make any mistakes. Help!

Lou-the-dog
08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
The best is to install all the screws into a stud. I'm not following you on exactly why this is not possible tho. Is the 0.5" a typo?

Randy

sygyzy
08-11-2005, 09:30 PM
If I install it into a stud, does that mean I should not use the wall anchors? Also, the holes did not format correctly in my post. They are not all in a straight line.

Lou-the-dog
08-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Yes. If you can locate a stud then mount into that...no need for the drywall anchors. As far as the staggered holes alot of times the holes are staggered so the screws do not end up on the same "grain pattern". This reduces the chance of splitting (the stud) and also provides a little lateral resistance to movement. I'd suggest angling the screws slightly to make sure they bite into the "meat" of the stud. Accurate location of the stud is critical so you don't miss the stud with the screws.

Randy

davef
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi Sygyz,

Randy is absolutely correct.. They stagger the holes so that when screwing into the stud, the screws will not run on the same grain which could possibly cause the stud to "split"

Also, do not use the wall mount anchors with the stud.. Just use the large wood screws... This bracket is designed to hold a 70lb television, somewhat overkill for a center channel speaker.. I used only two of the mounting holes using wood screws into a stud and this is plenty secure...

Hope this helps!

sygyzy
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Thank you guys very much for your help. I simultaneously emailed the mfg and they echoed your recommendations. I will try to do the install tonight or this weekend. My receiver got delayed but I'll try to have everything ready before it gets here Monday.

BGHD
10-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Looks like the dimensions of the TV mount in the first couple posts are from this model which would place the front of the 340c 22" from the wall:

http://www.pinpointmarketinginc.com/bt521.htm

The 340c is only 11" deep, but the picture doesn't look like the TV's 11" from the wall. Could it be this one instead which places the front of the 340c 16" from the wall? Will this work too?

http://www.pinpointmarketinginc.com/bt514current.htm

szygy, how did your install work out?

davef
10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Looks like the dimensions of the TV mount in the first couple posts are from this model which would place the front of the 340c 22" from the wall:

http://www.pinpointmarketinginc.com/bt521.htm

This is correct, the model is the BT-521 and will place the front of the 340c 22" from the wall. The rear of the 340c will be approximately 11.5" from the wall. The idea is to have the front of the speaker flush with the front of the TV. Most TV racks and DLP TV's are 12-14" deep, so this combination works well.

The 340c is only 11" deep, but the picture doesn't look like the TV's 11" from the wall. Could it be this one instead which places the front of the 340c 16" from the wall? Will this work too?

The television was moved forward so I could get behind it and take the pictures... When the TV is in the right place, the front of the speaker is flush with the front of the TV...

andydc
11-16-2005, 06:47 AM
I think he meant to point out that it doesn't look like the back of the speaker is 11" from the wall. Maybe that's just the optics of the shot, but could it be that the picture is of the BT514, which places the front of the speaker 16" from the wall (and hence the back about 4-5", I guess, which looks like what's in the picture).

I ask because my TV front (it's a plasma on a stand) is only about 12-14" from the wall. I think I could get away (from a WAF perspective) with the BT514 with its 16" projection. Would that be OK for the 340?

Thanks,

Andy

BGHD
11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Only thing with that one, couldn't tell from pics/specs if the front lip was curved which wouldn't lie flush w/ the front of the 340C. Dave, any experience w/ other B-Tech mounts?

davef
11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Maybe that's just the optics of the shot, but could it be that the picture is of the BT514, which places the front of the speaker 16" from the wall (and hence the back about 4-5", I guess, which looks like what's in the picture).

I ask because my TV front (it's a plasma on a stand) is only about 12-14" from the wall. I think I could get away (from a WAF perspective) with the BT514 with its 16" projection. Would that be OK for the 340?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy...

Nope, the bracket in the picture is the BT-521... I am sure the BT-514 would work even better for you in your situation.

davef
11-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Only thing with that one, couldn't tell from pics/specs if the front lip was curved which wouldn't lie flush w/ the front of the 340C. Dave, any experience w/ other B-Tech mounts?

The front lip does curve upwards a bit, this keeps the speaker from sliding forward. Sorry... this is the only TV-bracket form B-Tech that I have experience with but I would say their products are of very good quality. We sold the BT-05 speaker brackets for nearly 6 years!

Sam1000
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
This looks good too. Here, you can adjust the length.
http://store.videomountstore.com/vmpdoarmtvwa.html

Grayson73
04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
What do you guys think about the Omnimount Center Shelf for the 340 center?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniMount-Center-Channel-Speaker-Shelf-CCH1B-/sem/rpsm/oid/108951/catOid/-12935/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Here are some pics of them in action.

curtis
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
What do you guys think about the Omnimount Center Shelf for the 340 center?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniMount-Center-Channel-Speaker-Shelf-CCH1B-/sem/rpsm/oid/108951/catOid/-12935/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Here are some pics of them in action.
That looks great....but wouldn't its effectiveness really depend on if the TV's structure could hold that weight?

My Epson has a shelf built in, and I know some Samsungs have a shelf too. On my Epson, the shelf is not strong enough for the weight of the 340c which causes the middle of the TV to sag. I had to use a piece of MDF in conjunction with the shelf to distribute the weight evenly along the top of the TV.

Grayson73
04-24-2006, 07:43 AM
After researching, I think the weight is too much for the back of the tv, so I'm back to TV wall mounts.

I suppose the B-Tech BT521 is better than the BT514 because it allows for more room between the back of the wall and the speaker?

Does the BT514 mentioned previously allow for enough room and is the plate big enough? The 340C is 21" wide, but the plates are only 12" and 15" wide.

BT514: 16" length with a 10"x12" plate
BT521: 21-3/4" length with 11-3/4"x15" plate

lifelong
04-24-2006, 10:35 AM
After researching, I think the weight is too much for the back of the tv, so I'm back to TV wall mounts.

I suppose the B-Tech BT521 is better than the BT514 because it allows for more room between the back of the wall and the speaker?

Does the BT514 mentioned previously allow for enough room and is the plate big enough? The 340C is 21" wide, but the plates are only 12" and 15" wide.

BT514: 16" length with a 10"x12" plate
BT521: 21-3/4" length with 11-3/4"x15" plate

Grayson73, how did you judge that the weight would be too much for your TV? I'm going to be in a slightly different quandary when my center gets delivered. My TV is too far away from the wall to use one of these wallmounted solutions because of the depth of my entertainment center. I'm currently looking into mounting solutions and was thinking of the same Omnimount center shelf.

Grayson73
04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Grayson73, how did you judge that the weight would be too much for your TV? I'm going to be in a slightly different quandary when my center gets delivered. My TV is too far away from the wall to use one of these wallmounted solutions because of the depth of my entertainment center. I'm currently looking into mounting solutions and was thinking of the same Omnimount center shelf.

You can try pushing down on the top of the tv to get a feel for how strong the plastic is. I read that the picture could be warped if the plastic is bent so I decided that it's not worth the risk since the 340c is pretty heavy (26 lbs).

davef
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Regrettably, B-tech has informed us that the BT-521 and BT-514 brackets have been discontinued... I believe they have a few BT-521 in silver leftover.

I recommend that you send them an email requesting they make a dedicated center channel version of this bracket. I have already requested they do so: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/

Sorry for the bad news...

Grayson73
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Anyone have ideas on alternatives for the 340C now that we can't get the BT521?

Sam1000
05-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Anyone have ideas on alternatives for the 340C now that we can't get the BT521?

This might work for you.
I have ordered it, but will not be able to mount it for a month or so(until I get my Plasma).

Grayson73
05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
This might work for you.
I have ordered it, but will not be able to mount it for a month or so(until I get my Plasma).

Why did you choose the double arm instead of the single arm (http://store.videomountstore.com/vmpsiarmtewa.html)?

Also, will the 340c block the mount so it will be 'invisible'?

The benefit of the BT521 is that it makes the speaker look like it's 'floating'.

Sam1000
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Why did you choose the double arm instead of the single arm (http://store.videomountstore.com/vmpsiarmtewa.html)?

Also, will the 340c block the mount so it will be 'invisible'?

The benefit of the BT521 is that it makes the speaker look like it's 'floating'.

I chose the double arm because I wanted the ability to adjust the distance from the wall. It might give the appearance of the speaker floating, because it can be tilted upto 15 degrees. But unless I mount it, I won't be able to know it for sure.

Grayson73
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I found some solutions. If you have any thoughts on these, please let me know :)

Omnimount TVM21:
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/product.asp?p=45&mp=1.2.2.2.1

Sanus VMTV:
http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/wallmount/visionmount/VMTV.html&cart_id=8309284_30148

Magnavox M64002:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPRB/ref=pd_cp_e_title/102-3292905-6436108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

Magnavox M64004:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPRC/sr=1-27/qid=1147198782/ref=sr_1_27/102-3292905-6436108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=electronics

Grayson73
05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I ordered the Magnavox M64002. I'll try it with my Athena AS-C1 first and then the 340C SE when it gets here.

musicforme
06-12-2006, 07:11 AM
What is the latest and greated that people are using for the 340c SE these days? This thread hasn't seen any action in a month. :)

If you have any photos of the final install, please post them. I took delivery of a Samsung 50" 5088w over the weekend and can't wait to get my 340 off the floor and in its final resting place.

musicforme
06-20-2006, 07:46 AM
What is the latest and greated that people are using for the 340c SE these days?

I ended up going with the Sanus VMTVb http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/wallmount/visionmount/VMTV.html&cart_id=8309284_30148

jamesg
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Did you know that (2)Omnimount 20 wall mounts can be used to mount a CMT-340SE center channel? By utilizing the insert screw on the back baffle for one mount in conjunction with directly screwing the other mount into the back baffle, you can mount the speaker much closer to the wall than with a TV shelf. This solution runs $78 plus $8 shipping from Ascend.

With a hat tip to Grayson, I'm collating a summary that I can continuously edit of some options for mounting a CMT-340SE center channel that are available on the market:

MAGNAVOX M64002 TV Wall Mount
http://www.amazon.com/MAGNAVOX-M64002-TV-Wall/dp/B00006JPRB/sr=1-4/qid=1156971532/ref=sr_1_4/103-6733810-5302266?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

MAGNAVOX M64004 TV Wall Mount
http://www.amazon.com/MAGNAVOX-M64004-TV-Wall/dp/B00006JPRC/sr=1-2/qid=1156971532/ref=sr_1_2/103-6733810-5302266?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

PEERLESS PM1327 Bracket
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/electronics/Peerless_PM_1327_Bracket_rotating_-4285448.html?isrc=e-search

OMNIMOUNT TVM21
http://www.mountsandmore.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=OM0149&PiID=1163304&refid=FR2-OM0149_1163304

SANUS VMTV
http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/wallmount/visionmount/VMTV.html&cart_id=8309284_30148

OMNIMOUNT ECSB
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/22794.html

curtis
06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey!! A James citing!! Dave let him out of the cave! :D

Lou-the-dog
06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Yes, Yes! A very rare siting indeed AND (in my Marlin Perkins impersonation) I believe it to be a male of the species!

Randy

jamesg
06-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Ha, ha! Very funny!

[For some reason, picturing Clash of the Titans -- Dave as Poseidon unleashing the Kraken James upon a terrified populace....]

:p

musicforme
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Did you know that (2)Omnimount 20 wall mounts can be used to mount a CMT-340SE center channel? By utilizing the insert screw on the back baffle for one mount in conjunction with directly screwing the other mount into the back baffle, you can mount the speaker much closer to the wall than with a TV shelf. This solution runs $78 plus $8 shipping from Ascend.

While this may be a viable solution for some, I really like how my install came out in the end with the Sanus VMTVb. The distance from the wall wasn't too far from where my tv already sat. http://www.wicker.us/avs/IMG_3748_small.JPG and http://www.wicker.us/avs/IMG_3746_small.JPG show the final results.

Please, no comments about the B*se L/R. Budget contraints prevent me from getting a pair of 340s for at least six months. :)

RangersFan
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
anyone know if the 340 se center speaker could fit into a BDI 8527 speaker drawer? one of the biggest obstacles im facing before I put in my order for ascend speakers is finding just the right tv stand/component rack. however i may just end up doing it properly and wall mounting it like many of you already have.

jamesg
08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Budget contraints prevent me from getting a pair of 340s for at least six months. :)

Good! We should be in stock by then!

[A little inventory humor. Very little.]

:mad:

musicforme
08-30-2006, 04:56 PM

As luck would have it, Vegas was good to me back in early August and I left $300 richer. You took my order for the 340s and the TP24s last Thursday. :)

ironmike86
08-30-2006, 06:11 PM

Not funny :( I hope theres stock soon

jamesg
08-31-2006, 08:46 AM
We resume shipping approximately Sept. 18th, so not too far in the future. The great news is that we will be flush with CMT-340SEs through the holiday season.

CaptDS9E
09-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone use the OmniMount CCH-1 with a Samsung DLP? I have a Gen 3 model from a few years ago. I am going to get a 340C in a few weeks and wanted to know if it could hold the weight. I picked one up, but If the tv cant hold it, im gonna return the Omni

RangersFan
09-09-2006, 04:15 PM
We resume shipping approximately Sept. 18th, so not too far in the future. The great news is that we will be flush with CMT-340SEs through the holiday season.
OOOOH e-mail from quantumview, speakers arriving on Tuesday. Finally!

jamesg
09-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Status update on shipping CMT-340SEs: we've pushed the date back to Sept. 28th for the resumption of production. My sincere apologies to all whose orders have been delayed -- inventory and distribution are among the chief challenges in our business. Thanks to everyone for their patience, and our stock issues should be over for quite some time after this.

Deerman
09-20-2006, 07:29 PM
I am looking for some mounting advice for a CMT-340. I have a Panny plasma wall mounted above a fireplace. The front edge of the TV is 9 inches from the wall. Since the CMT-340 is rear ported how far from the wall does it need to be? Since there is a fireplace below the TV, I have to mount it above. I am interested in any solutions others have come up with for a wall mounted plama or LCD TV. Thanks,
DM

davef
09-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi Deerman,

The EXBAC crossover optimizations in our 340 SE center help compensate for close proximity placement of the speaker. This combined with an 80Hz crossover setting in your receiver (which greatly reduces the bass response of the speaker, thereby reducing the amount of air moving in and out of the port) should allow for placement as close as 6” inches to the wall behind it without compromising performance.

With that in mind, I would recommend some type of shelf mounting system. Perhaps a small shelf to hold the speaker or something like this bracket: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt15.html

Hope this helps!

Deerman
09-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Hi Deerman,

The EXBAC crossover optimizations in our 340 SE center help compensate for close proximity placement of the speaker. This combined with an 80Hz crossover setting in your receiver (which greatly reduces the bass response of the speaker, thereby reducing the amount of air moving in and out of the port) should allow for placement as close as 6” inches to the wall behind it without compromising performance.

With that in mind, I would recommend some type of shelf mounting system. Perhaps a small shelf to hold the speaker or something like this bracket: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt15.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks Dave, 6 " - This is encouraging. I have been thinking I would need a foot or more space behind the speaker and that would mean the speaker is protruding over a foot farther thatn the TV.

The shelf you suggest extends for 11 inches and the 340 center will extend 16.5". Is there a way to secure the speaker to the shelf without the shelf extending all the way to the front of the speaker? In other words, the shelf will only be supporting 5 inches of the speaker and the other 5.5 will be overhanging. I doubt I can screw the speaker to the shelf without damaging the speaker, so do you have a suggestion as to how to make this work?

If I can't make the shelf work or decide the 340 extending out 7 inches above the TV is aesthetically too much of an overhang, do you have a smaller speaker you would suggest that would match the 340 mains?

Thanks,

DM

davef
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Deerman,

The shelf you suggest extends for 11 inches and the 340 center will extend 16.5". Is there a way to secure the speaker to the shelf without the shelf extending all the way to the front of the speaker? In other words, the shelf will only be supporting 5 inches of the speaker and the other 5.5 will be overhanging. I doubt I can screw the speaker to the shelf without damaging the speaker, so do you have a suggestion as to how to make this work?

If I can't make the shelf work or decide the 340 extending out 7 inches above the TV is aesthetically too much of an overhang, do you have a smaller speaker you would suggest that would match the 340 mains?

If you don't want to screw into the bottom of the speaker (you won't damage the speaker’s performance) than I would recommend securing the speaker with Velcro or earthquake putty. However using wood screws would be the best option. If you allow the speaker 5" clearance from the rear wall (which should be fine) the 340 will only extend 4.5" past the brackets. You can also buy " L " brackets from Home Depot or even " L " shaped shelf brackets and do the exact same thing (and even save some money)

If you want to use 340 mains as your left/rights (good choice :D ) I strongly recommend you figure out some way to use the matching 340 SE center. It is well worth it!

Hope this helps!

greggle31
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Im trying to decide how to mount my center... the "above the tv" option seems too high and there is no way i can mount it underneath. My tv sticks out farther than the DLP's ( rear projection hdtv) so i think a wall mount would be too close to the wall. Anyone mounting on top of a tv? How high is too high? Is it bad to have the center above ear level or above the level of the l/r speakers? :confused:

bikeman
09-27-2006, 03:43 AM
How high is too high? Is it bad to have the center above ear level or above the level of the l/r speakers? :confused:
It's common to have the center speaker above the l/r. We compensate for that by angling it down. I use rubber door stops but there are many workable solutions. I don't know how high is too high. Sending a diagram to Ascend would probably answer that question.

David

Zinje
11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
The center of where I want to mount my center speaker is about 6 inches away from a wall stud. I want to use one of those CRT tv wall brackets. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zinje
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
What if I made a brace out of wood.

[------]

With one side being held by the wall stud and the other side holding onto drywall. Do you think I will be hold the weight of a tv bracket and the 350C?

curtis
11-13-2006, 08:18 PM
What if I made a brace out of wood.

[------]

With one side being held by the wall stud and the other side holding onto drywall. Do you think I will be hold the weight of a tv bracket and the 350C?
How far apart are the studs? Can you connect the brace to each stud?

Zinje
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I think they are 16 inches apart. Does that sound about right? The center would be 6 inches away from the closest stud.

curtis
11-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I would connect it to both studs, paint the same color as the wall, and call it a day.

muzz
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, usually modern home studs are 16" on center.
I would bridge between them with a solid hardwood(almost any wood will work, but if it's not a hardwood, it should be thicker), and then mount to that.

Pretty much what curtis suggested. :D

muzz
12-07-2006, 07:11 AM
I MAY get this:
http://store.videomountstore.com/hedudoarmtvw.html

I have a CRT, so between the depth of that, and the baseboard heater behind it ( not used), I need 31 1/2" to match the front of the TV.
I don't dare rest this 340 right on the top of the TV, the screen would bow badly in no time.

Grayson73
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm using Magnavox M64002 TV mount for my CMT-340SE above my rear projection DLP and it works great!

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPRB/ref=pd_cp_e_title/102-3292905-6436108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282)

curtis
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I MAY get this:

I have a CRT, so between the depth of that, and the baseboard heater behind it ( not used), I need 31 1/2" to match the front of the TV.
I don't dare rest this 340 right on the top of the TV, the screen would bow badly in no time.
What kind of CRT do you have? Before I got my HDTV, I had my 340 on top of a CRT with no problems.

muzz
12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I have a Hitachi Ultravision 57S700

I think 26 pds in the unsupported center of the top, WILL cause it to bow, it's only MDF and I have NEVER seen MDF that width, handle that kinda stress, without bowing.
I actually think my crappy lightweight BA CRC was causing a bit of bow, until I set it on a book(over the rear spline to support the weight, with a tilt towards the listening position).

I can NOT let it bow, the screen is there, which will bow as well.

I believe that span is too large to support the 340, without bowing under the presure.
Right now, I have it on a book, which bridges the rear spine(my set slopes from the top down to the back immediately, no intermediate half slope), but it's behind the screen, and facing straight out, instead of tilted towarrds the listener- OOW
No Good

curtis
12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Oh...a rear projection CRT.

muzz
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Yep

This TV is actually pretty awesome, I redid geometry, and convergence is mint.
I also reset beam width etc.

Alot of folks frown on CRT RPTVS, but I don't if they are set up correctly.

Gee, what an idea huh? ;)

curtis
12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I thought you were talking about a regular tube TV.

Yes...I have read that RP CRTs can be great.

Johnal
12-26-2006, 10:32 AM
am I missing something obvious here? I can't seem to find a way to purchase this bracket directly through Ascend. :)

curtis
12-26-2006, 11:40 AM
hey Johnal!

I think you have to call them...or look for it from another source.

Mike613
01-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm looking to get some opinions on the viability of using this to mount the center channel. I have not yet received my 340 center and am still looking at various mounting options.

Center channel mount (http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMAVB-Component-Shelf-Mount/dp/B000BS24V4/sr=8-29/qid=1168011523/ref=sr_1_29/103-2134432-9963834?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)

Kingrsl
01-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I found a mount at BestBuy today for $50 that I think is close to the B-tech mount. It's from Vantage Point and holds 13-17" TV's (comes in silver & black). It measures 20" from the wall and supports 60 lbs. The mount can swivel vertically 0-10 degrees as well as swivel left to right 180 degrees. I couldn't find it on the BestBuy sight but here is Vantage Point's link. http://www.vanptc.com/

Now I just have to wait for Ascend to ship me my speakers. :)

greggle31
01-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Im using auralex "mopads" that have been described in this post on top of my rear projection hdtv. They come with extra wedges to adjust the angle. When my center channel arrives I'll let you know how they work out. They just arrived and they seem perfect. I may even use adhesive to make them secure to the tv. Something to think about for the people out there running a rear projection tv.

Gov
01-13-2007, 10:07 PM
MoPads are great!! I use them. You will like them very much

curtis
01-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I use MoPads as well.

Wiluven
01-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I need some help deciding what to do with the 340SE Center Channel. The only two options I can see is either above the TV or on a center channel mount.

The problem with it mounted above is there is no 'wall' in the center of the TV. It would need two mounting points 39.5" apart.

If I were to put it on it's own stand, the stand would need to be 19.5" high and perferably match the color scheme I have going on now (Piano Black, Cherrywood, or Black Tempered Glass).

Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.c-zone.net/prozack/tvsetup.jpg

My TV Stand:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?aid=10368321&pid=1403164&cm_ite=VAS+Cherry+64+In.+console&cm_cat=1058821&cm_ven=CJ&prod_id=100496850&cj=1&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&cm_pla=1222604

My Left & Right Speaker Stands (Piano Black)
http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Lovan-AF2-2400-Affiniti-24--Steel-Speaker-Stands.htm

BGHD
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I need some help deciding what to do with the 340SE Center Channel. The only two options I can see is either above the TV or on a center channel mount.

The problem with it mounted above is there is no 'wall' in the center of the TV. It would need two mounting points 39.5" apart.

If I were to put it on it's own stand, the stand would need to be 19.5" high and perferably match the color scheme I have going on now (Piano Black, Cherrywood, or Black Tempered Glass).

Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.c-zone.net/prozack/tvsetup.jpg

My TV Stand:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?aid=10368321&pid=1403164&cm_ite=VAS+Cherry+64+In.+console&cm_cat=1058821&cm_ven=CJ&prod_id=100496850&cj=1&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&cm_pla=1222604

My Left & Right Speaker Stands (Piano Black)
http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Lovan-AF2-2400-Affiniti-24--Steel-Speaker-Stands.htm
The link on your TV stand shows an integrated shelf above the TV. Does yours not come with it?

The blue rectangles are windows, right? Might look a little funny spanning a window, but maybe you can mount a couple brackets or korbels with a shelf spanning the center window, above the TV. I'm sure Ikea or Home depot would have plenty of options & it'd be super cheap. Just make sure it's wide enough and can handle the weight.

Kingrsl
01-24-2007, 05:58 AM
I installed the Vantage Point TV mount for my center channel last night. The only difference I see from the original one Dave posted is that the bottom on my mount looks closer to the edge of the tray than his. This would only cause a problem if you the top of your TV is deep and you have the mount installed flush. The Vantage Point mount also swivels at the wall and the tray. That feature was really useful for me as the nearest wall stud was about 6 inches off from being centered over my setup. I'll take pics tonight after my speakers arrive!

Supdawg
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, I got my 340 SE C channel this week. I have been agonizing for what seems like weeks on how to mount these.

I have a difficult set up. The space right above my RPTV is a knee wall that slants at a ~45 degree angle. I had to drill holes in the top of my previous center channel, and I anchored it to the knee wall with two omni mount AB1's.

I wanted the same flexibility my previous mounting solution provided, but I couldn't do it the same way because I refuse to drill a hole in my new center channel. Also, my previous center channel was irregular shaped, and the slight slope on the back provided a good place to drill the anchors in to have 45 degrees of play to adjust.

To make a long story short, my RPTV's top is just about flush with the knee wall. I bought some 20" metal brackets and a piece of 24*48" piece of wood and mounted to the top of the wall.

I took a piece of my audio component rack and got a custom paint color match and painted the wood to match the shelves.

So far, I'm really enjoying my new center channel, but they sound a bit different than my 170s I use as mains for the moment.

I hope to relegate those to the surrounds and replace with some more 340 SEs.

I have some pics if anyone would like to see.

azanon
01-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Quick question guys: would this mounting solution work for an HTM-200; meaning would that bracket match up with the mounting holes on an HTM-200C? If so, are the 2 mounting holes adjusted to be located parallel with the length of the center channel on the "C" variant of that speaker?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796306

Thanks,
Azanon

(edit) I called ascend, and it seems like even though (one of the) holes would probably fit that mount, apparently they dont adjust the location of the 2 inserts to be parallel with the speaker for the "center" variant. So if i used that particular mount, the speaker would likely end up being mounted "off-center" if i'm imaging this correctly or it wouldn't be supported properly since you could only connect to one of them.

If you ask me, thats a disappointing design flaw since ideally the 2 inserts for a center channel speaker should be positioned lengthwise with the speaker. How hard can it be to relocate the +/- connectors, and insert backing for the center channel?

Kingrsl
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Here are the pics of my center channel mount. Ignore the holes from my old speaker brackets. I've been enjoying my new Ascends too much to spackle. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Kingrsl/PDR_2378.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Kingrsl/PDR_2380.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Kingrsl/PDR_2382.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Kingrsl/PDR_2383.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Kingrsl/PDR_2384.jpg

azanon
01-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah when you have ample wall-space above your TV, its a no-brainer. If only we all had the perfect scenario.

I have a possible solution that would involve using an omnimount 20 for my HTM-200C, except there's one small problem; Ascend doesnt bother to relocated the (2) 1/4" x 20 holes in the center on the backplate which i presume has nothing to do with the sound of the speaker. It seems to me like a bit more effort than sticking a logo in a different spot and rotating a tweater 90 degrees should have been made in the C variant. Cost cutting can go overboard IMO.

And from the looks of it, the 340C has the same issue except it only has one hole to begin with! One hole for 26lbs, and it isnt centered. If its because of the port location, then i guess i can understand. But back to the HTM-200, it isnt ported, so there goes that excuse.

curtis
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Maybe you should look for something that better suits your needs.

And from the looks of it, the 340C has the same issue except it only has one hole to begin with! One hole for 26lbs, and it isnt centered. If its because of the port location, then i guess i can understand.
I don't think the hole is there for wall mounting, it is there to fasten it to the custom stand.

Quinn
01-31-2007, 10:32 PM

I don't think the hole is there for wall mounting, it is there to fasten it to the custom stand.

Yes, the hole on the 340 is for the stability bracket between it and its' matching stand.

azanon
01-31-2007, 10:38 PM

I might just do that. But i seriously doubt i'll be the only 3rd party reader that will recognize that as an inadequate and callous response. IMO, if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.

azanon
01-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes, the hole on the 340 is for the stability bracket between it and its' matching stand.

That's fine; I probably shouldnt have even strayed on discussion of the 340.

My beef is with the 1/4" x 20 holes being on the side of an HTM-200C. Clearly, that's not the right place for them.

curtis
01-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I might just do that. But i seriously doubt i'll be the only 3rd party reader that will recognize that as an inadequate and callous response. IMO, if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.
Seriously, I am sure if the demand was high enough, it would be done. I have not seen many center channels that have type of an option.

You could also try a t-bracket from the hardware store.

azanon
01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Seriously, I am sure if the demand was high enough, it would be done. I have not seen many center channels that have type of an option.

You could also try a t-bracket from the hardware store.

Well, the 340s used to not even exist, and with the MTM design of the HTM-200, one would have thought it was at least at one time a popular choice for the center channel (as the CBM-170 looks like anything but a center channel, whether its used that way or not). I realize demand probably is low, but that should be offset by the fact that making an alternative backing should also be low overall cost to the company. Sometimes paying those extra dollars to go from having a product with minor inherent flaws to pseudo perfection can end up paying for itself over time.

Without me going through the trouble of taking pictures of what i have to work with, i'll just say i have a "jerry-rig" idea that i'm going to try first (which will involve literally balancing the front end of the htm-200 on my lcd (i'll use an adhesive tape probably), and pressing the back end of it against my entertainment center cabinet door). Hopefully that works. I'll check into what a t-bracket is too though, if that doesnt work.

curtis
01-31-2007, 10:58 PM
The center channel of choice before the 340 was another 170.

And remember, that was before the flat/thin TV boom where you could set your speaker on the TV.

And still, there are not many good choices in center channels with easy mounting solutions. The one you linked to is great, but it is actually a VESA mount meant for TV's and monitors.

I bet though, with some stuff from the hardware store, any speaker with some threaded inserts can be attached to a mount like that.

I wouldn't put any weight on the frame of a LCD screen.

azanon
01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
The center channel of choice before the 340 was another 170.

I simply find that hard to believe. Per what I already said, the 170 looks like anything but a center channel. I'd put the WAF on the 170 as a center channel as a 2, at best.

And remember, that was before the flat/thin TV boom where you could set your speaker on the TV.

True, but this is the reason i have in mind why maybe Ascend should consider adjusting their speakers so that they remain functional as other technologies change. The TVs of today can no longer bear the weight of speakers of this size, so I hope at some point i hope I wont be asking too much for their speakers to support basic mounting options.

And still, there are not many good choices in center channels with easy mounting solutions. The one you linked to is great, but it is actually a VESA mount meant for TV's and monitors.

Oh i definitely agree with this. LCDs are freggin everywhere now, so i'd like to see more overall development to deal with that issue, be it smaller/slim speakers or more mounting solutions for them. Just look at the number of threads on mounting center channels at AVS. Its a big problem.

I bet though, with some stuff from the hardware store, any speaker with some threaded inserts can be attached to a mount like that.

I'm sure a real handiman type could solve my problem probably. I'm just not the type. But I could use an omnimount 20 if the holes were repositioned (I think).

I wouldn't put any weight on the frame of a LCD screen.

That's what the manual says. But I'm guessing it can handle an HTM-200 on its side. That's 7lbs spread out over a decent length. But I do agree, i'd prefer to mount it, hence my bitc**** about this.

davef
02-02-2007, 12:30 AM
if Ascend is going to claim to have a center variant of the HTM-200, then those mouting holes should be repositioned.

Hi Azanon,

Honestly, this is the first complaint we have received regarding this. Repositioning the holes means a new cabinet -- which means we would have to make 3 separate HTM-200 cabinets rather than 2. (HTM-200 are mirrored pairs). Our costs would increase and the HTM-200 costs us too much to build already. (2) 4" cast frame custom designed shielded woofers + a top quality Audax tweeter combined with an advanced dual layer crossover for $278/pr? Just one of those 4" woofers cost more than many stamped steel 5" or 6.5" woofers.

You can screw into the cabinet with small wood screws without problem if you needed to.

I suspect that many TVs and TV stands/racks will have better center channel options in the future. The problem is that there are no standards and as a loudspeaker manufacturer, we try to achieve high performance which often means bulky cabinets.

davef
02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Here are the pics of my center channel mount. Ignore the holes from my old speaker brackets. I've been enjoying my new Ascends too much to spackle. :D

Wonderful job!!!

What bracket are you using and can you post a link to it?

Thanks!

azanon
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Azanon,

Honestly, this is the first complaint we have received regarding this.

I'd be lying if i didn't say I am surprised by this. If for no other reason, because i certainly used the holes to mount the surrounds on the wall.

Repositioning the holes means a new cabinet -- which means we would have to make 3 separate HTM-200 cabinets rather than 2. (HTM-200 are mirrored pairs).

Well i understand that, but you are selling three different speakers too so i know. Tradoffs, tradeoffs. If you were making it for just me though, i'd choose 1. pay more and get the holes right.

You can screw into the cabinet with small wood screws without problem if you needed to.

I'd rather not void the warranty.

I suspect that many TVs and TV stands/racks will have better center channel options in the future. The problem is that there are no standards and as a loudspeaker manufacturer, we try to achieve high performance which often means bulky cabinets.

I think that too....

You just about cant go through a full page of speaker threads at AVS and not spot at least one "how do i place my center channel" type thread per page. I'm reminded of how our local best buy store has devoted a good 1/3rd of the entire store to just LCDs/plasmas. No more huge CRTs to sit a 340 on (like i used to do, with the help of a Sanus shelf).

Well I got your great speaker in, and its balanced on my LCD with the back supported against my cabinet door; but of course the LCD is bearing all of the weight. It seems pretty stable and even not very prone to knocking over. It even passed WAF! I just hope my Sony Bravia 40" LCD can take 7lbs of weight indefinitely, lol.

Kingrsl
02-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Wonderful job!!!

What bracket are you using and can you post a link to it?

Thanks!

Thanks Dave! I'm really happy with the mount. My only complaint (if you can call it one) is that the bottom of the mount is a little closer to the front than yours. Depending on how deep the top of a particular TV is, you may not be able to get the mount flush with the TV if it is mounted too low. Mine is about 1/4" from the very front edge of my Samsung. I'm probably just being picky. The fact the mount can also swivel at the wall is great for installations where the nearest stud isn't centered behind the TV. I purchased the bracket from Bestbuy for $50 but I couldn't find a link on their site. Here is a link to the company's site though. In case my first link doesn't work, it's the 13" - 17" tv mount on the Vantage Point website.

Found the link at Bestbuy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=2428000&st=mount&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1051384432880

http://www.vanptc.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=16&catid=4&loc=show

http://www.vanptc.com/

azanon
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, If you have room on a wall for any kind of mount that allows you to sit the speaker on it, there are countless options out there. I must have found 25 mounts like that of varying designs when i was searching for something i could use.

azanon
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
My setup seems to be working great. I'm lovin' the HTM-200C. My LCD seems to be just fine after a few days' weight of an HTM-200. Dont try this at home boys and girls! hee
Here's my front entertainment center setup (40" HDTV w/ OTA/DirecTV HD, Oppo 971H, H/K 140, 340SE Front, HTM-200C, HTM-200s rear, (edit) HSU VTF-2 Sub):

azanon
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Its hard to tell, but there's actually about a foot of depth from that glass cabinet above the center channel to the wall. Knowing the width of an HTM-200, you can see i had very little room left to work with from the top of the TV to the bottom edge of that cabinet.

curtis
02-08-2007, 04:40 PM
looks good!

Is that a subwoofer on the counter as well?

drewface
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
i was wondering why you chose an HTM-200c with 340s as mains, but that second picture shows why. very clean looking setup. i like it.

i've never seen a sub set on a shelf like that... how is that working out for you?

also, is that a westinghouse tv? if so, have you had any problems with it. i've been looking at westinghouse tvs for a little while, but have read a number of people have problems with it locking up, and their customer service is supposedly terrible...

azanon
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
looks good!

Is that a subwoofer on the counter as well?

Thanks!

Yes, that's an HSU VTF-2 I purchased through Ascend about 3 years ago.

azanon
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
i've never seen a sub set on a shelf like that... how is that working out for you?

also, is that a westinghouse tv? if so, have you had any problems with it. i've been looking at westinghouse tvs for a little while, but have read a number of people have problems with it locking up, and their customer service is supposedly terrible...

Well, i tried the sub in several places around the room (which is carpeted) like Dr. Hsu suggested, and it turned out the best sounding spot was up there next to the TV. It just so happened that was the most aesthetic location too. I dont have to turn the power up very high on it to get a balanced sound I presume because its surrounded by walling.

My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia 40S2000. This model# has been replaced by the 2010 now, but the best selling version of it today is the 2500 model (cause its 1080p). I just love it though, and its gorgeous; especially on my pure OTA HD content (which i receive with an old school OTA antenna on my roof).

Btw, my rear HTM-200s are mounted with omnimount 20s up high on the back wall. The overall system sounds wonderful in DD5.1/DTS movies (and music too, of course!).

Johnal
05-17-2007, 02:15 AM
I ended up going with the Sanus VMTVb http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/wallmount/visionmount/VMTV.html&cart_id=8309284_30148

I really liked the look of this one, so i thought i'd post an updated link. :P

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/ProductDetails/line/visionmount/pcat/crtTvMounts/modelCode/VMTV/

battlefrog
05-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Dave,
I'm forced to put my TV diagonally in a corner. With this setup, I think that the speaker will be well behind the front of the TV screen. Will this be a significant issue?

Thanks,
Lance

:confused:

muzz
05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Dave,
I'm forced to put my TV diagonally in a corner. With this setup, I think that the speaker will be well behind the front of the TV screen. Will this be a significant issue?

Thanks,
Lance

:confused:

If it's reflecting off of the back of the TV it is.
ANYTHING directly between the speaker and the listener will cause sound degredation, especially a solid object.
You could always get a 2 arm wallmount, and swing it out to even with the face of the TV, or at least try and raise it up high enough, to minimize relecting off the back of the set.

JMO

DPlettner
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I ended up buying a double arm mount because I wanted the ability to position the speaker front-to-back and left-to-right. I purchased this one:

However, for a corner installation, I would probably use this one:

The arm is 32" fully extended, so you should be able to mount it to one of the side walls and position the speaker in the middle of, and flush with the screen.

The model I purchased has a strange lip that drops down from the center of the tray, so I mounted the tray backwards. It appears that the larger mount does not have this lip.

Although there you can adjust the tilt of the speaker up to 15 degrees to aim the speaker toward the viewing position, there is no way to adjust the left-right tilt after screwing in the mount, so measure carefully. I ended up with the left side of the tray just slightly higher than the right side. However, after placing a shim pad under the right side of the speaker, it is hard to notice.

I used tapered wood screws that locked the mount into its final position. If I were doing it again, I might consider other options, such as expanding the bottom hole to allow some right-left movement, and using flat-head screws and lock washers.

Overall, I am very pleased with the final result.

-Dave

davef
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Dave,

Hi Battlefrog,

Can you estimate the distance from the front of the center to the back of the TV? Also, how high will the speaker be above the TV? Basically, you will want an unobstructed +/- 15 degree dispersion pattern from speaker. If the TV will not interfere with that dispersion window, you should have no problems.

Take care!

Mag_Neato
05-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I need a solution for a center speaker stand with an LCD panel tv. I only have an IKEA Benno bench(lowboy). The tv cannot be wall mounted, nor the speaker since this will be in an apartment. I know what I am looking for, but I don't think it exists. I'd like to have a stand that has a base where the tv's base stand can rest on, with uprights mounted off the rear of the base supporting a shelf above the set where the speaker can sit. Is there anything on the market that remotely approaches that? It is a 32" AQUOS.

Thanks!

curtis
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I need a solution for a center speaker stand with an LCD panel tv. I only have an IKEA Benno bench(lowboy). The tv cannot be wall mounted, nor the speaker since this will be in an apartment. I know what I am looking for, but I don't think it exists. I'd like to have a stand that has a base where the tv's base stand can rest on, with uprights mounted off the rear of the base supporting a shelf above the set where the speaker can sit. Is there anything on the market that remotely approaches that? It is a 32" AQUOS.

Thanks!
Ed...do you mean like a little hutch where the center channel can be in, and the TV on top?

Mag_Neato
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Curtis, I was thinking of something like this....

curtis
05-29-2007, 11:40 AM
OK..got it. Geez....if you can draw like that, just build it yourself! :)

Might it interfere with cables behind the TV?

Mag_Neato
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
I have considered that, but I don't have the tools. It is easier to draw what I want than to build it!

The back would be open except for the uprights, so the cables would be fine. The AQUOS has a cable management setup to keep everything centered.

curtis
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I guess my only concern would be stability.

I think something like that would sell well.

Mag_Neato
05-29-2007, 01:24 PM
That's why I have the base of the stand under the tv base. The weight of the set will anchor the stand and give it stability. Plus, it is more or less a cantilevered design, with the weight of the speaker centered over the base. Should be very stable. My surround stands are designed the same way. The QS-8's are heavy little suckers and my stands are about 5ft. tall.....no problem!

So, Dave......would you be interested in marketing an Ascend-built center stand like that? :D

Venri88
10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm on the fence right now, especially due to the sale going on right now! I purchased two 340SE mains last year, and have wanted to purchase a center since. I have a few concerns though, one of them being WAF.

I have a 6ft wide TV stand, which is approx. 2ft tall and about 2-3ft deep. Currently I have the two 340's at the extreme ends, and a 42" lcd between them on the "duck foot" stand. I tend to pull them away from the wall, but the wife pushes them back. Even though they are ported, I can't really tell that it causes any issues.

If I got the center, I would have a few options.
Set it horizontally and set the TV on top of the speaker. An LCD is not terribly heavy, so I don't think this would cause any issues. Set it horizontally and wallmount the screen. I already have the mount, but when I set the TV on the stand during unpacking, I realized it was at the perfect height, so never mounted it. Mount the center speaker above the TV. I would have to get some sort of mounting, and it would most likely stick out further than the TV since it is also generally pushed back to the wall. Predict lowest WAF with this...

Of course the last option is resist the temptation. I'm doing ok with 2.1 right now, but I know at some point I will want that dedicated center, and eventually some in-wall surrounds. (the room is not very large at all...I probably should have gone with 170's)

Opinions on how option 1 or 2 would sound? Would flat on the TV stand be ok, and would the very limited separation cause issues? The mains are only about 4 feet apart now, so the center would be only about 1 foot from each.

Thanks for the advice!

azanon
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't see much purpose for a center channel with your L/R abutting the sides of the TV. Quite frankly, many LCD TV's COME with slim speakers that directly mount to the sides of the TV, or they're even built-in to the side, with the L/R designed to act in stereo. Anyway, with them that close, the sound should already be well anchored to the TV.

I'd have to see your room, but I'd be thinking of ways to get the L/R further apart, then maybe thinking about a center channel (and surrounds too!).

cyberbri
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm moving my room around, getting a projector and screen, etc. Now my center channel (340SE) will need a speaker stand.

I need it to be about 2-3' high, and able to tilt toward the listening position.

Any suggestions?

davef
12-04-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm moving my room around, getting a projector and screen, etc. Now my center channel (340SE) will need a speaker stand.

I need it to be about 2-3' high, and able to tilt toward the listening position.

Any suggestions?

What about a single TP-24 stand? Not sure about the tilt but you could place something under the speaker to force the angle...

Just a thought..

cyberbri
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Dave.
I was thinking about that as an option.
But I think my wife would like something that is skinnier so it doesn't block the view of the fireplace so much. So I'm looking for something with a wide base, fairly skinny pole/stand, and wide base at the top.

LesE
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM

Any suggestions?

Wood Technology has a 28" center speaker stand. Although it isn't angled upwards, I wouldn't imagine that you would need to be tilted up very much with the speaker at that height.

http://www.wood-tech.com/product.php?cat=ss&series=cc

Les.

REFLEX
01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I have a 60" RPTV (LCoS.. well SXRD) that I need to place a CMT Center above, obviously much like the original post in this topic - I have depth to work with. The solution shown there with the TV mount is perfect, can I still get one somehow or where can I look to find one? I'm pretty much stuck for ideas as I don't really want a shelf back there.... anyone?

If its not available through this site (as I don't see it listed anymore) is this something pretty much the same? (sorry if we aren't allowed to post links!)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Haropa-TV-Wall-Mount-Bracket-21S-Medium-Stand-Silver_W0QQitemZ150210161476QQihZ005QQcategoryZ486 56QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would have decent clearance from the wall for the back of the speaker, and it would certainly hold it up...... but I'm open to suggestions!

MichaelG
01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I have a 60" SXRD and use the OminMount CCH-1. It just sets on the top of the TV and braces against the back. Its been great for 1.5 years

Michael

REFLEX
01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Amazon.com won't let me order it into Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have it. But, I did find one of these in Futureshop here:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10078780&logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B2059EC88D75C732E88F217D 5C1A3629E86DD5DF6F3B763AF42736D0CCFC107436B50B6F8C E8993F6FA83EA9181B8FE9756374DA1AA77F3CB20F240376EE CCD03DB0A6A748540725B73EE8491111A501B0772719981F14 D30BF8B21F1463D8224E589652F76BFABB58D41B57508FC130 A41B6C745F1C8BF0DA5423148A4BF1D185B3A710368406A656 3DCB764DB1C67A93621075A60FAE78E6656D9DF2AB582AB5EB 50A899C88476E695C9FEB100CC3C257A04ACCDA30A6BA78107 95ABA2673503&test%5Fcookie=1

Its a little more expensive than I'd like, but its not too bad. Up to 100lb load, its 21.5" from the back wall, so I'd have good enough clearance correct? That leaves me with around 11" of space behind the speaker... to the wall, this is more than enough I assume. Also, it just hovers right over the edge of my 60" SXRD, which is awesome. I'm excited as my CBM 170s and my CMT Center arrive this coming week. Woohoo!

scape
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I just hung my 340 center last weekend, I originally had it on the console table angle upwards but it was about 1" too high infront of the tv. I racked my brain for a cheap and decent setup and came up with an incredibly cheap solution, though it is not necessarily up to everyones specifications-- it is currently working for me.
At lowes hardware they sell 10" wall mount brackets (with about a 13" arm), it's like a huge L bracket. It's painted glossy white and is pretty solid. I live in an apartment so hanging it was a bit of a pain, 4" into the wall is concrete! though some areas had plywood backing. this was probably the biggest issue, as I was sans stud finder and basically guessed my way through it. I used drywall tap anchors, and the small ones worked best (about 2" deep). Once I had the first one hung, I tested it's strength by leaving a 25lbs dumbbell weight on it. It stood up fine, though there was a bit of flexing (about 1" maybe) so I finally got the second mount in (they ended up being about 4-5" apart instead of my previous 1ft apart hopes). None the less, the 340 still sits there now, no shelving, just on the brackets themself. ofcourse I was even more lazy and did not move my tv (hey it's 70lbs!) very much so the leveling is ever so slightly off between the two brackets and their flat tops. aside from this, I used the rubber bottoms I got in the mail for the speaker and stuck them to the brackets. everything is well and dandy except it is about 5 degrees not-far-enough down angled. I fixed that with 2 styrofoam (I said it may not be to peoples liking) in the back. the result is perfect pitch and stance, the audio is seemingly from the tv now, and not so easily locatable. this sounds pretty rigged, so I'll take a snapshot when I get a chance to show that it is mildly substantial looking. I'll also get the names of all the hardware, which is easily under 15$ total.

sorry the images are a bit blurry; the under/side shot shows mostly of what's going on here, I added the extra black sliver of material to balance out the speaker, I thought I had them leveled when hanging the brackets, but even a slight bit off ended up in about a few cm dip. from the front it seems to hover above the tv about 1" above. for the most part it is pretty sturdy and solid, though I did see an even stronger, non-flexing bracket with a double brace to ensure it, I might go that route but for now this works.
http://peepfair.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/stereo.jpg

M3_Pete
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I read through this whole thread and didn't find what I was looking for. I have an entertainment center with a flying bridge, which just sits atop the two side pieces. The bridge is not attached, allowing the entertainment center to expand to the size of the TV.

There is enough space between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the TV for the 340C. My new TV does not have the shelf atop it that my current set has, so I'd like to mount the 340C to the bridge. Seems like suspending it from the underside of the bridge would work, but I'm not sure what to use that would look OK.

Maybe I could use wires and small eyebolts, and run the wires front to back under the 340C. That would allow me to tilt the speaker downward.

Any other ideas?

I found this, BT-889 projector mount, it holds 33 pounds (340C is 26 lb.) and has a tilt feature. I'd have to either screw it into the cabinet, or devise some kind of straps to go around the speaker.
http://www.bracketsandstands.com/BT_889_UNIVERSAL_PROJECTOR_CEILING_MOUNT_p/bt-889.htm

curtis
03-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Pete....can you post a picture of what we are dealing with?

M3_Pete
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Of course they don't sell what I have any more, but here is a generic photo of something similar. The center light bridge just lays atop the the two piers. There is a shelf on the bridge, about half as tall as the one shown in the photo. I want to attach the speaker to the underside of the shelf, and have it hang down so it's flush or nearly flush to the top of the TV.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_image.asp?pr=0&sku=LC1455

I can try to take a picture of the exact unit when I get home, but I think this gives you the idea.

curtis
03-10-2009, 05:56 PM
I think another issue that you have to deal with is clearance behind the speaker.

scape
03-11-2009, 08:00 AM
with that last linked image, I can see what you're talking about. Will the bridge hold the weight of ~15 lbs, have a dumbell to test it? Is it particle board w/ laminate or is it solid wood? Hanging anything on particle board is probably not a good idea, but not impossible. If you're set on hanging it, you might try this:
maybe a 1x12x24 solid wood at your local hardware, drill small pilot holes in the wood paneling and the bridge about 1/2 inch in to where the four corners would meet the bridge if placed together (parallel to eachother of course), and drill all the way through.
The next part could be done in a few ways, but one way would be flat brackets with a hole punched through the center, your hardware store probably has this somewhere. Secure the brackets on the bottom of the speaker lift, and ontop of the bridge (this is probably a good idea if it is particle board, to help brace and displace the weight off of any single contact).
Grab some project wire lead them through each pilot hole with the brackets secured already. pull the wire under a washer and tie it around the bolt end of the bolt with a short length (maybe 3/4 inch) and hand screw it through that punched out sectioning to secure the wire.

that might work. using eyebolts might rip the particle board, and also would be seen pretty easily.

ddlooping
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi all :)

A cheap solution (<$10) for those of you with light(ish) center speakers.

What you need:
- for your TV pedestal to be able to take the extra weight of the speaker.
- 3 pieces of wood, a few screws and some paint.
- some optional plastic thingies to use as cable-tidy.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/tv_speaker_stand_side.jpg

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/tv_speaker_stand_front.jpg

When using the projector I simply remove the speaker from its stand and place it in front of the tv. ;)

M3_Pete
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I took a couple photos. The bridge is made from substantial particle board, just over an inch thick. The shelf probably acts as a structural stiffener, so it's going to hold up just fine. The bridge probably weighs 80 -100 pounds (complete guess, it takes two people some serious effort to lift it up there), so I doubt it's going to be affected by another 26 pounds of speaker.

The depth of the shelf under the bridge is 16 inches, so there is plenty of room behind it for the 10.5-inch deep 340. Maybe not the 1-2 feet some people suggest, but at least about 4-5 inches.

I don't have the TV yet, so you are looking at the old TV that has a nice big shelf on it. The front of the speaker is isolated from the TV with some foam weatherstripping, and I'm using the super high-tech door stops to angle the speaker downward. :)

ddlooping
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Hello Pete. :)

How about the following?

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/speaker_bracket.jpg

or for a more "stealthy" approach (also easier matching of wood/wall color):

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/speaker_bracket_white.jpg

- Bottom of the vertical bits cut at the desired speaker angle.
- 4 screws (2 each side) going through the shelf into the vertical bits.
- Horizontal bit glued or bracketed (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61576/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Angle-Bracket-Heavy-Duty-50-x-50mm-Pack-of-10) to vertical bits.

What do you think? ;)

M3_Pete
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello Pete. :)

How about the following?

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/speaker_bracket.jpg

or for a more "stealthy" approach (also easier matching of wood/wall color):

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/speaker_bracket_white.jpg

- Bottom of the vertical bits cut at the desired speaker angle.
- 4 screws (2 each side) going through the shelf into the vertical bits.
- Horizontal bit glued or bracketed (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61576/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Angle-Bracket-Heavy-Duty-50-x-50mm-Pack-of-10) to vertical bits.

What do you think? ;)Dude, you gotz mad photoshop skillz! ;)

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea, I think I may actually have a spare shelf from the entertainment center I can sacrifice for the project.

Thanks for the idea and the photoshop work!

ddlooping
03-13-2009, 04:03 PM
You're very welcome and thanks for the compliment. :)

M3_Pete
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I am in the same situation, and I think we have very similar tv's. If I move my TV (DLP - Sammy HLP) back against the wall, I would have enough room on the stand to place the 340-C on the TV stand in front of the television. However, that completely blocks my remote sensor. If you come up with something, let me know.I just looked at the first page of this thread again, just to make sure I didn't miss any critical advice from Dave about how far the 340C should be from the wall. And I found this post.

ALthough it's nearly 4 years later, and I'm sure he came up with a solution by now (and maybe even a new TV), I can't understand why he didn't put the 340 on top of the HLP.

I have the HLP5674W in the photos I posted, and it has a great center speaker shelf. Maybe there was an HLP that didn't have the shelf, but mine has been up there for a least four years with no issues.

My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.

scape
03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
My new TV will also be a DLP, the Sammy HL61A750, but it lacks a shelf and I'm told the top frame is pretty flimsy.

how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?

ddlooping
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Any advance on your setup, Pete? :)

M3_Pete
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
how come the DLP, do you prefer this type of tv?
It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC65D64U-65-Inch-1080p/dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.

scape
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
It's the best bang for buck TV in large screen sizes.

I got an HL61A750, 61 inches with an LED light engine for $1450, delivered. http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL61A750

Although I do think the new LCD sets are better looking, particularly the LED backlit ones, they are like $4000 for a comparable size. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92735
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC65D64U-65-Inch-1080p/dp/B000W4RWEQ

You can get a large LCD set for cheaper, but then they are not as good looking as the DLP. Eventually, I'll get a cutting edge TV, like an OLED set, but this one should last me the 5 years it will take for OLED sets to get affordable. (or whatever else is the hot new TV in 2014)

I will say though, looking at the new and old sets side by side, with DirecTV HD, the old one looks almost as good as the new one. I have not compared them with Blu-Ray yet, so I'm hoping that will be a bigger difference.

I got the new TV on Tuesday. I lose the old TV on Sunday, but I'm camping till Saturday, so I may not have time to get anything built right away. I'm still leaning towards ddlooping's idea, although I may modify it slightly to be able to adjust the height and angle of the speaker.

haha good point. I bought a 42" 720p plasma for the meantime, I figured I'll put it in the bedroom when I upgrade in a few years and hd becomes more mainstream.
here is a rather cheap (not by my wallet!) plasma with much more contrast (about 30,000:1) and possibly better viewing angles.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-58PZ800U-58-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001DSYNB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239297538&sr=8-1

M3_Pete
04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
haha good point. I bought a 42" 720p plasma for the meantime, I figured I'll put it in the bedroom when I upgrade in a few years and hd becomes more mainstream.
here is a rather cheap (not by my wallet!) plasma with much more contrast (about 30,000:1) and possibly better viewing angles.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-58PZ800U-58-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001DSYNB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239297538&sr=8-1My TV room is flooded with sunlight during the day, and plasma sets tend to have bad reflections in such rooms due to their glass front panel. But I'll agree that viewing angles are DLP's achilles heel. Plasmas may also have better contrast, which gives a "pop" to the picture.

But I can rationalize that I'm doing my part for the planet, since the DLP is Energy Star rated and uses about one-fifth the energy of that plasma.

M3_Pete
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Any advance on your setup, Pete? :)I think I may go the easy way out, by buying this stand and putting the 340C on the middle shelf, which adjusts from 7.5 to 9.5 inches, which gives me enough room to angle the speaker up to the sweet spot.

The Omnimount G353, which is 20"H x 50"W x 16"D

http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...4-940786ef3d56

It's 50 inches wide, so the TV will overhang 2.4 inches on each side, which is fine with me, since I have a wall unit that goes on either side of the TV. I like the fact that it's only 16 inches deep (the spec sheet erroneously says 22"D, which is wrong, I called Omnimount)

My only concern is the 340C's rear port. It will have about 5 inches of clearance behind it. But I'm wondering if I will get some weird reflections due to the shelves and distance to the rear wall. Does anyone recommend putting any sound absorbent on the wall behind the speaker to minimize these reflections?

ddlooping
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I think I may go the easy way out...
Chicken! :p

fraseronly
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Folks

I am wall mounting a sierra center for a 50" plasma, do people prefer below or on top of the panel ? What about height ? If I have my fr and fl at eye level if the center is above the panel its going to have to tilt down pretty far to hit the same point as the fronts. Viewing distance is 9 feet.

I have another Q, I have Sierra fronts too and 170's for my rears, a HK 645 AVR and a pair of obsolete **** Acoustimass II speakers which the Sierra's replaced. Can I use the **** either as the rears or sides for a 7.1 set up ? Or can I just use the sub piece of the **** system and play with a cross over setting on the AVR ?

Tushar
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Fraser,

To get sound out of tiny little cubes, they place a very high cross-over between the little cubes and the bigger box wich handles mid-bass and below. I don't know the cross-over, but if it's 1kHz or 300-400Hz I would not be at all surprised. The idea is then to locate the box near the TV set so that the sound is centered on the screen. The subwoofer-looking boxes that come in their set doesn't go lower the the Sierra-1-- two friends with **** who like movies have bought other subs (like Velodyne, etc) and crossed to these with their amps.

Linearity and accuracy to source is not something **** Accoustimass prides themselves on or publishes specs for....

From this standpoint, using either the cubes or the box unit by themselves will severely compromise the sound of your system and using them together is still not optimal. You may prefer to relocate them to another room where their limited visual cross-section are an asset. I would suspect that even inexpensive contractor grade speakers (like Proficients) will sound much better.

fraseronly
06-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info, I guess the **** speakers are off to the garage, at least they will get some use.

Sooooo, I have Sierras fronts, and 170's as rears do I keep them as true rears in a 5.1 or move them to the sides and leave space for others at some point for 7.1

I am wiring my basement so trying to figure out if I get ceiling mounts at the rear or side wall mounts for the 170's as a side role..

F.

Tushar
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Fraser,

My comments about **** are my general impression from listening to them, helping friends set theirs up, and what I've read but I could be wrong for your specific HW. I'd suggest you check your **** manual or contact ****, ask about what the cross-over point is or simply try them out if it not in your manual before moving them to the garage. The Series II talks about accepting a subwoofer out and having placement flexibility, so it's possible the little cubes handle >120Hz or >80 Hz (though as I mentioned maybe not the most accurate, linear response).

If your sub doesn't have a separate subwoofer in, for sure, you should not break them up and expect a response to 80Hz.

The **** sub alone I would still not recommend using with the Sierra-1's, even if the Cross-over is 80Hz.

I would strongly expect a sound system to sound much better with 5.1 Ascend vs. 7.1 mix of Ascend and ****.

ddlooping
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi all :)

This is the home-made cheap solution I came up with for my 15kg Calliope center speaker...

http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/step6.jpg http://www.dvdshrink.info/temp/images/step7.jpg

For more info, please refer to the following thread (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4019). ;)

scape
06-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Folks

I am wall mounting a sierra center for a 50" plasma, do people prefer below or on top of the panel ? What about height ? If I have my fr and fl at eye level if the center is above the panel its going to have to tilt down pretty far to hit the same point as the fronts. Viewing distance is 9 feet.

I have another Q, I have Sierra fronts too and 170's for my rears, a HK 645 AVR and a pair of obsolete **** Acoustimass II speakers which the Sierra's replaced. Can I use the **** either as the rears or sides for a 7.1 set up ? Or can I just use the sub piece of the **** system and play with a cross over setting on the AVR ?

center mounting was really frustrating for me. the best I could find was lifting the tv up and putting the speaker underneath and angled up; this seemed best for my needs, especially b/c I lay back or down on my couch, and it sounds much better this way. having it above my tv was too distracting

bnrbeseth
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
i know this was a old post but is this wall bracket for the 340se center available or does anyone have a good suggestion for a sierra-1 center wall mount ?

scape
12-29-2009, 11:36 AM
i know this was a old post but is this wall bracket for the 340se center available or does anyone have a good suggestion for a sierra-1 center wall mount ?

I at one point had mounted a 340se center using shelving brackets I found at the local hardware store (Lowes). I got the longest ones available to get the speaker as far out from the wall as possible. Two balanced the speaker just fine, holding all 26lbs with only a slight bit of flex in the brackets. Before I put the speaker up I put a 25lbs weight on each bracket individually to test it's total weight load capability.

They are the white arm brackets, I deleted other images, but here is a previous post if that helps: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=29154&postcount=135
the brackets were meant for a slat of wood to bolt into the top but I didn't bother as I wanted it to look like it was just hanging off the wall and not sitting on a shelf
here's a pic from the front: http://peepfair.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/dsc00340.jpg

davef
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM

We now stock a very similar model (nearly identical) as listed in this thread that is ideal for the 340 SE center or Sierra-1 center. Please send us an email or give us a call and we would be happy to answer any questions.

coyote_5
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Funny question...my center channel locations are limited, how would the 340se handle a 50" plasma sitting on top of it???

Venri88
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Some questions on center placement. I have a Panasonic XR55 with 2 340SE's in the front, bi-amped (currently), about 5.5 ft apart on my tv stand, with a wall mounted LCD between them. There is a sub in the corner, and two in-wall Polks behind my couch (which is against the wall.) Add to this the fact that my wife frequently pushes the 340's back as far as they can go, which means only about 5" from port to wall. Needless to say, this is not an ideal placement for any of it, but it's what I have.

In any case, the phantom center has never really been great. Sure, it works, but we have to crank the sound to hear acceptable dialogue in many shows.

Hence, 3 years after I went Ascend...I finally ordered a center channel. Yay! Because the TV is wall mounted, and only about 4" off the wall, the center will lay on it's side underneath the monitor. This will be about a foot lower than our heads at normal viewing height. Should I lift the front an inch or so to get it firing at our heads, or is my setup so poor I won't make a difference? :) Oh, and I'm thinking of abandoning the bi-amp as well...thoughts?

One of these days I'll have a bigger living room, and get these speakers properly placed, but in hindsight I probably should have gone with 170's!

davef
01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Because the TV is wall mounted, and only about 4" off the wall, the center will lay on it's side underneath the monitor. This will be about a foot lower than our heads at normal viewing height. Should I lift the front an inch or so to get it firing at our heads, or is my setup so poor I won't make a difference? :) Oh, and I'm thinking of abandoning the bi-amp as well...thoughts?

The 340 SE center has wide and symmetrical vertical dispersion. At a foot below ear-level, it isn't nececessay to angle the speaker upwards -- however, it certainly couldn't hurt but I doubt it would make any audible difference to you.

Hope this helps!

coyote_5
01-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Funny question...my center channel locations are limited, how would the 340se handle a 50" plasma sitting on top of it???

Any clarification on this? I said it was funny, but I was serious! ;)

edit: As long as you're answering - same I have the same question about the Sierra.

The reason I ask is, currently there is a concrete foundation wall behind my tv currently, so absent drilling into the concrete, I can't mount a shelf over the tv...

davef
01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Any clarification on this? I said it was funny, but I was serious! ;)

edit: As long as you're answering - same I have the same question about the Sierra.

The reason I ask is, currently there is a concrete foundation wall behind my tv currently, so absent drilling into the concrete, I can't mount a shelf over the tv...

As long as the weight from the TV is dispersed (ie, not concentrated at a single point), either speaker cabinet will *easily* hold the weight. We have many customer doing this...

daeagles
02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
As long as the weight from the TV is dispersed (ie, not concentrated at a single point), either speaker cabinet will *easily* hold the weight. We have many customer doing this...

But is there a product out there that does this over a Plasma tv

davef
02-19-2010, 02:36 AM
But is there a product out there that does this over a Plasma tv

Do you mean disperse the weight of a center channel speaker placed on top of a plasma TV? If so, I have not seen such a product :(

daeagles
02-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, because live in an apartment and they use those steel walls. Also have all my equipment in a wood entertainment center which the tv sits on so can not place the speaker in front of it

LemFliggity
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
It seems that Omni Mount has discontinued their TV stands. Any recommendations for my Sierra-1 center?

LemFliggity
01-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I ended up going with a $50 Peerless PM1327B Tilt Wall Mount for 13" to 27" CRT Televisions. Its width is adjustable and it can be set with a 5 or 10 degree downward tilt. Should work perfectly. Will arrive tomorrow.

durian
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I thought I'd pass on my solution. I wanted to mount my center channel below the TV without the speaker sticking out any farther than necessary. Most of the converted TV mounts stuck out too far for my needs.

I tried a Pinpoint AM15, which is a pair of angle brackets you bolt onto the wall. This was basically what I needed and worked fine for a small speaker, but sagged dangerously when I put a Sierra-1 on it. Then I found two mounts from AVF: ES150B-T and the EM60. The ES150B-T looks pretty nice. It attaches to the wall in one place, is black and has a couple crossbars to support a piece of A/V equipment (or speaker). It has a high enough weight rating that it should support a Sierra-1. I almost went this route, and in fact ordered one, but the crossbars have just the slightest amount of play in them and I was concerned the speaker wouldn't be level. I wasn't worried about it falling or anything, it just wouldn't look nice (even if I was the only one who noticed).

I ended up with the AVF EM60. This are like the Pinpoint mount, in that it is two separate brackets that you mount to the wall. Unlike the Pinpoint, it is pretty beefy and has a high weight rating. Even with the arms fully retracted, it is long enough to hold a Sierra-1. If you want more clearance from the wall, you should be able to extend the arms without sagging like Pinpoints. This mount is really designed for mounting a microwave in the kitchen and thus doesn't come in black. Just white or silver. I found a can of flat black enamel paint fixed that problem. A black powder coat would be a better solution.

The bigger problem was availability. AVF doesn't have a US distributor for this mount (you can find the ES150 on amazon), but I called their US office and they said they'd sell me direct as long as I understood there was a no return, no refund policy. I spoke with Jocelyn Villa 800-601-8450.

Anyway, I've got bracket set up and it is working nicely. Photos attached.

mike

scape
07-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Great looking, clean setup! Two questions: are you concerned about the heat from the fireplace? Do you have q-plugs installed on the sierras?

durian
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure about the effects of the fireplace heat on the speaker. Would it damage the paint? Affect glue? It's already pretty dry out here in Colorado, so I doubt the drying effect would be a problem. I haven't had a fire in a number of years, so it's not a huge concern for me. On the plus side, the speaker will help shield heat from the TV.

Yes, I've got a foam condoms in all the speakers. Practicing safe speaker, if you will. I've got the cross-over set at 80 Hz, so I'm not sure if they're really necessary, but I thought it wouldn't hurt.

Sam1000
07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes, I've got a foam condoms in all the speakers. Practicing safe speaker, if you will. I've got the cross-over set at 80 Hz, so I'm not sure if they're really necessary, but I thought it wouldn't hurt.

That's hilarious..:D

kinggimp82
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I recently mounted my center speaker on the wall and am looking for some thing that will prevent it from sliding off of it. I've heard people mention blue adhesive sheets that you can cut to your desired size. From what I've heard they are more tacky than Adhesive. Does anyone have experience using this and if so do you know that actual name of the product?

Ray_C
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I recently mounted my center speaker on the wall and am looking for some thing that will prevent it from sliding off of it. I've heard people mention blue adhesive sheets that you can cut to your desired size. From what I've heard they are more tacky than Adhesive. Does anyone have experience using this and if so do you know that actual name of the product?

Blu-Tack. No need to cut it, it comes in strips, but it's a putty so you can shape it however you need.

battlefrog
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
I ended up going with a $50 Peerless PM1327B Tilt Wall Mount for 13" to 27" CRT Televisions. Its width is adjustable and it can be set with a 5 or 10 degree downward tilt. Should work perfectly. Will arrive tomorrow.

I realize you mounted this several years ago. How did it turn out? We you able to mount the Peerless "upside down" and then rotate the tray 180deg to make it as invisible as possible?

Thanks!

muzz
02-14-2015, 03:56 PM
CC mounting solution:
Mount the plasma/LCD/LED on an articulating arm wall mount, and put the Center on the TV stand just under it.
Problem solved! :D

Jhnsmj
04-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Has anyone tried the Center Stage CSB-1409-PRO with a Sierra 2 center? I see a review with someone putting a 30 lb speaker on it, but the design doesn't necessarily look that sturdy.

billy p
04-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Has anyone tried the Center Stage CSB-1409-PRO with a Sierra 2 center? I see a review with someone putting a 30 lb speaker on it, but the design doesn't necessarily look that sturdy.

I would not want to find out....that shelf is only rated for 15lbs the S2 is ~20lbs. I would only consider stud mounted support for an application like that.

I would do something like this>

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90136136/#/10136135

along with this>

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60251038/#/20094347

Shelf come in a variety of finishes to compliment the room...

Jhnsmj
04-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Thanks - I can't wall-mount yet, but maybe once we find a new cabinet.

14er
08-19-2016, 02:02 PM
I just wanted to add this here due to a great experience and it might help some people pull the trigger on the Sierra Horizon if location is a problem.

So if you are like me and don't have room for woodworking here is a TV riser (http://www.syracusetvrisers.com/products.php). The owner is very nice and through 6 emails we worked out a perfect riser to go over my Horizon and protect it from the weight of the TV.

I apologize to Dave and Co. if this was out of line and obviously delete this if it is.

davef
08-21-2016, 11:54 PM
I just wanted to add this here due to a great experience and it might help some people pull the trigger on the Sierra Horizon if location is a problem.

So if you are like me and don't have room for woodworking here is a TV riser (http://www.syracusetvrisers.com/products.php). The owner is very nice and through 6 emails we worked out a perfect riser to go over my Horizon and protect it from the weight of the TV.

I apologize to Dave and Co. if this was out of line and obviously delete this if it is.

This is terrific info for our community. Thank you!

jpmazare
05-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to mount a Luna as a centre channel above an LED TV. So far the best thing I can find is the B-Tech BT77.

I understand the Luna has a Threaded insert and wondering if that's better to use than to clamp it down with a bracket?

BTW … I'll probably use the same bracket as a surround for a pair of Lunas as well.

Cheers,

JP

davef
05-16-2017, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to mount a Luna as a centre channel above an LED TV. So far the best thing I can find is the B-Tech BT77.

I understand the Luna has a Threaded insert and wondering if that's better to use than to clamp it down with a bracket?

BTW … I'll probably use the same bracket as a surround for a pair of Lunas as well.

Cheers,

JP

Hi JP,

Do you intend to mount the Luna in a vertical or horizontal position? If vertical, no reason to use a clamping style bracket -- the Luna is designed for easy wall mounting. In fact, you can flush mount it by just hanging the speaker from a wood screw using the integrated keyhole bracket.

jpmazare
05-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply David.

I finally found a way to mount the Luna horizontally. When I get the hardware, I'll take some photos and post them here.

curtis
05-18-2017, 06:54 AM

I finally found a way to mount the Luna horizontally. When I get the hardware, I'll take some photos and post them here.
Don't forget, you are going to need to rotate the tweeter.

davef
05-19-2017, 03:49 PM

These brackets work well for horizontal mounting: http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2277/side_clamping_bookshelf_speaker_wall_mount_sp_os08 .html

audiopro
03-19-2021, 12:25 PM
I'd be on the buy list for this, as well.

I purchased in December a set of Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers, with matching center channel speaker C 6.2 and sub. Just moved into a new home and gonna have to find a center channel speaker with smaller dimensions. I will have to mount the TV above the fireplace and the mantle is not deep enough to accommodate my Elac center speaker, only have 9 inches in depth to work with, any suggestions on what will work space-wise and sound good with my speakers?

Thanks

gtobiast13
05-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Anyone find a riser solution that will fit over the Horizon and hold a tv on it? I have limited options due to an apartment setup and am thinking that's a good solution but can't seem to find a riser on the market that fits.

natetg57
05-01-2021, 07:25 AM
Anyone find a riser solution that will fit over the Horizon and hold a tv on it? I have limited options due to an apartment setup and am thinking that's a good solution but can't seem to find a riser on the market that fits.

As long as the finish is protected, I would place a TV directly on top of the Horizon. Any Ascend speaker cabinet would be plenty strong.

racrawford65
05-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Syracuse TV Risers will build custom-sized risers.
http://syracusetvrisers.com/