PDA

View Full Version : Sierra LX Center W-T-W

Matias
02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Hi, I have posted a suggestion on ASR but might as well ask here on the official forums.

IMO Ascend should release a center speaker with a W-T-W configuration to match the Sierra LX. The Sierra LX Center with its asymmetric W-T configuration triggers my OCD like crazy lol. I would seriously consider this trio for my HT. @davef

zeeke42
02-23-2024, 04:45 PM
Just leave the grille on. Also, with HT you're not looking at the speaker anyway.

Matias
02-23-2024, 04:46 PM
I would still know it's asymmetrical behind the grille, so no way.

natetg57
02-23-2024, 07:02 PM

Can you place it vertically? You could get the Luna Duo and if you want to wait until the end of the year there might be one available with a Titan tweeter.

Matias
02-24-2024, 01:26 AM
Nop, horizontal only.

SunByrne
02-25-2024, 09:40 AM
IMO Ascend should release a center speaker with a W-T-W configuration to match the Sierra LX.

Don't hold your breath. People have been asking for this since the first Sierra-1 in like 2008. Dave would have to design an entirely new cabinet for this and cabinets have become something of an issue post-pandemic.

The Sierra LX Center with its asymmetric W-T configuration triggers my OCD like crazy lol.

With the grille on, while you're watching something else? That's pretty serious. You know, there's a lot less stigma associated with therapy these days. :p

Just get a Duo.

Matias
02-25-2024, 12:50 PM
Dave would have to design an entirely new cabinet for this and cabinets have become something of an issue post-pandemic.

Just get a Duo.

Funny you say both things. I may be simplistic, but what about using the Duo cabinet sealed in front ported on the back, and using the LX drivers, adjusting the crossover accordingly? Problem solved, right?

MDinno
02-25-2024, 01:53 PM
Hi, I have posted a suggestion on ASR but might as well ask here on the official forums.

IMO Ascend should release a center speaker with a W-T-W configuration to match the Sierra LX. The Sierra LX Center with its asymmetric W-T configuration triggers my OCD like crazy lol. I would seriously consider this trio for my HT. @davef

I know exactly how you feel. It's a big reason i went with the 340SE2 center. I still have to get the mains. I could still get one of the Sierra for my mains but will probably stick with the 340. Go big or go home right. I really believe in that for the center.

racrawford65
02-25-2024, 02:11 PM
Funny you say both things. I may be simplistic, but what about using the Duo cabinet sealed in front ported on the back, and using the LX drivers, adjusting the crossover accordingly? Problem solved, right?

Too small, I would think

SunByrne
02-25-2024, 02:56 PM

That's a non-starter by simple geometry: the Duo cabinet is only 5.75" wide; the LX woofer is 6" wide. Not going to happen.

I'm totally with you that a proper center that's less than 8" high would be desirable, since most HT furniture simply will not accommodate anything bigger (e.g., the Horizon). I don't think Dave considers this a big priority, though, since what he usually recommends is just getting an LX and setting it on its side (they even make a different grille for this purpose so it looks symmetrical with the grille on). I think you're likely going to have to either get a Duo or learn to control your OCD.

There is one other solution: I mounted my TV to the wall and have a stand that a Horizon sits on top of. The Horizon is a brilliant center speaker, but it is indeed massive and I understand this won't work for everyone, but I highly recommend it if you can pull it off.

racrawford65
02-25-2024, 06:16 PM
I built a stand for my TV that was oversized (HxWxL) so that I could put my Horizon on the top of the entertainment center under the TV stand.

davef
02-25-2024, 06:55 PM

I am sorry but this is not going to happen. We design and manufacture speakers for pure performance, never for looks.

A woofer-tweeter-woofer version of the LX would retail in the neighborhood of at least $500-$600 more, yet offer no performance benefits over the LX, other than higher sensitivity. It would greatly compromise on directivity, defeating one of the main performance goals of the LX. In simpler terms, our customers would be paying a lot more money for a speaker that performs worse. That isn't how we do business, never have and we never will. Sorry....

I do not understand why would that even bother you when the speaker is not vertically symmetrical when used as left/right? Our LX is a huge success for us, and the majority of our customers use the LX center. It is a fantastic center, objectively easily outperforming any woofer-tweeter-woofer centers out there.

I am confused, how could we possibly fit an LX woofer, which is 6 1/4" in diameter, into a cabinet that is only 5.75". Even if that were somehow possible, to properly accommodate dual LX woofers, the cabinet would have to have twice the internal volume of the LX, it would end up being 28 1/2" wide, 7.5" high and 10.5" deep. This beast would be huge, 5 1/2" wider than our Horizon, likely retail for more than our Horizon V2 with the Titan tweeter, yet the Horizon V2 would handily outperform it for center channel duty.

In addition, the Duo cabinet is only 6" deep and 16" wide.

If your OCD demands horizontal symmetry (yet isn't bothered by a lack of vertical symmetry) - use the LX vertically for the center, or go with 340SE2 center, or the forthcoming titan version of the Duo.

Matias
02-26-2024, 05:09 AM
Thanks, David, you are absolutely right. I will think about it more here. :)