PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

sagosto
02-21-2024, 10:43 AM
I am trying to negotiate with the boss to replace my existing 5.1 setup but my efforts are hitting some (err several) roadblocks. Major WAF in play here. She is OK with an upgrade but thinks the existing setup is an eye sore and it will be worse with bigger speakers. My original hope was to replace L/R with HTM-200SE (on existing stands) and the center with horizontal CMT-340SE. The boss is now looking into ways to 'hide' the speakers including putting the speakers in the corner and putting the sub in a box/container (e.g. https://ikeahackers.net/2006/09/this-hol-hides-a-subwoofer.html) NOTE: I am open for ideas. The room is 14.33'X X 21'L and one side is completely open to the kitchen. The shelf for the center channel would replace the existing center speaker in the picture. The opening is 6.25"H X 20.86"W X 13.5"D but the internal dimensions extend to 7.5"H X 22.44"W. I could take another 1.5" or so by moving the shelf down and putting a cooling fan such as Infinity AIRCOM S7.

She seems to be OK with mini towers in the corner with an arbitrary height of 36" because it would be hidden by furniture (chairs/ottoman). I realize this is not optimal or even good, but it is hard to argue with 'but sound bounces' rationale. I think I have 3 options:

1) Mini Towers in corner
2) Find a way to 'hide' the towers to move it away from the corner -- Not sure how that would work/look
3) Find a 'better' similar size satelite speaker (HTM-200SE would be ~3" larger but that seems to be a problem)

https://imgur.com/AgPT7nu

https://imgur.com/Pm9W7kJ

https://imgur.com/ZS1g9Sw

racrawford65
02-21-2024, 02:07 PM
Glad I don't have that problem.

Another room in your house that you could set up as your man cave although from your pics that looks like a "separate" room - although you say one side is open to the kitchen?

From your options above, I'd probably go with 1). Alternately, have further discussions to try and convince her. Perhaps with bigger (and nicer looking speakers) she might be more flexible.

sagosto
02-21-2024, 02:47 PM
Glad I don't have that problem.

Another room in your house that you could set up as your man cave although from your pics that looks like a "separate" room - although you say one side is open to the kitchen?

From your options above, I'd probably go with 1). Alternately, have further discussions to try and convince her. Perhaps with bigger (and nicer looking speakers) she might be more flexible.

I had a dedicated man cave in my old house and NO ONE used it. I am debating renovating my current one but my young daughters would just trash it and my wife thinks it is cold and dungeon like. After a full reno, she might change her mind. That would be a much easier convo to have.

Most speakers are some kind of black rectangle. I supposed there are 'designer' ones but that seems to be more design over function. Yes, I realize this is not good but is there a way to quantify it? L/R isn't the center. How much am I losing? And, how much would I lose if I went with the bigger towers in the corner vs. current state. If they offset, the corners give me more flexibility.

zeeke42
02-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Check out my thread here for some potential ideas: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7877-How-far-up-the-chain-is-worth-it-in-a-compromised-room

It's not ideal, but I've been very happy with where I ended up.

sagosto
02-22-2024, 08:58 PM
Check out my thread here for some potential ideas: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7877-How-far-up-the-chain-is-worth-it-in-a-compromised-room

It's not ideal, but I've been very happy with where I ended up.

This is very encouraging. If I understand the dimensions, the speakers are horizontal with a max of 28" in a wood cabinet with a slotted front. And, you are happy. The papasan chair on the left side sits back far enough that I think I will have a clear line of sight to the top tweeter of a 36" or so of a small / mid tower. Is that the only concern? High frequency tweeter? The mid/The chair on the left is much more of an issue as it is angled towards the corner which WILL cover up the speaker. I know it's all subjective and there probably isn't a real answer but given the WAF problem and limited choices, how much 'loss' am I taking by going this route? It is my hope that a 3-way in the corner with blockage is better than an unblocked 4" satelite.

I hope Dave chimes in.

racrawford65
02-23-2024, 03:43 AM
I hope Dave chimes in.

You could always call Dave & Dina and discuss your situation and get their recommendation.

zeeke42
02-23-2024, 08:00 AM
IMO unblocked bookshelves would be better than blocked towers. Could you go as large as the Sierras for L/C/R? If you can, I'd definitely go S1V2 or LX depending on budget.

sagosto
02-23-2024, 08:58 AM
You could always call Dave & Dina and discuss your situation and get their recommendation.

I sent 2 emails. I don't wanna annoy him.

IMO unblocked bookshelves would be better than blocked towers. Could you go as large as the Sierras for L/C/R? If you can, I'd definitely go S1V2 or LX depending on budget.

HTM-200 are giving me pushback. The tower was 'OK' as long as it's in corner and nearly hidden. I also need to figure out what box to cover the sub.

racrawford65
02-23-2024, 09:42 AM
As to the sub, would she accept it as an end table next to the sofa, assuming there is room?

Back to the LR, the cabinetry/finish on the Sierra line is really very nice. Maybe she'd be more accepting of those to offer you some placement flexibility?

curtis
02-23-2024, 10:50 AM
The tower was 'OK' as long as it's in corner and nearly hidden.
First...putting a speaker in a corner is generally not a good idea sound wise, but we all have compromises we have to work with.

At a minimum think of "line of sight" when locating speakers. Sound is even more important as it radiates around the speaker. Think if of it as light radiating from a lamp. I hope that makes sense.

sagosto
02-23-2024, 10:10 PM
As to the sub, would she accept it as an end table next to the sofa, assuming there is room?

Back to the LR, the cabinetry/finish on the Sierra line is really very nice. Maybe she'd be more accepting of those to offer you some placement flexibility?

No. There needs to be a walk way behind the couch. She wants to put a box over the sub to make it more pleasing.

sagosto
02-23-2024, 10:11 PM
First...putting a speaker in a corner is generally not a good idea sound wise, but we all have compromises we have to work with.

At a minimum think of "line of sight" when locating speakers. Sound is even more important as it radiates around the speaker. Think if of it as light radiating from a lamp. I hope that makes sense.

Yes. I am literally trying to gauge how much I am missing to see if it makes sense to go with tower where I would have LOS for the tweeter on one and semi on the other.

davef
02-25-2024, 09:35 PM
Based on the pics, I am thinking our 340SE2 for left/right and center would be ideal. I don't see anything blocking the speakers in the pics. One option would be to "block" the speakers with grille cloth, but that would likely look worse.

sagosto
02-26-2024, 04:33 AM
Based on the pics, I am thinking our 340SE2 for left/right and center would be ideal. I don't see anything blocking the speakers in the pics. One option would be to "block" the speakers with grille cloth, but that would likely look worse.

The new speakers would be moved to the outside which would be covered by the chairs in the corner. LOS for the tweeter should be fine for speaker on left but right would have some blockage. This is intentional from the wife who does not like the looks and convinces sound will bounce or pass through

curtis
02-26-2024, 06:46 AM
How about bookshelf speaker on higher stands, or mounted to the wall? Gauging by your posts, that probably wouldn't fly either.
Who will appreciate the system the most? When my ex and I got divorced, after a couple of years I began setting up an AV system in my living room. I ended up with my first set of Ascends, the original CBM-170's and HTM-200's. It was for me to enjoy.
The kids spent their time at each household 50/50...sadly, they were very young, but we all got through it well. I remember the three of us watching a show and both kids said "It sounds so much better than at Mom's house". Honestly, that put a smile on my face. :)
That said, if only you are going to be the one to appreciate the system, live with the compromise, maybe not put as much money into it, and get a good ear/headphone setup for yourself.
BTW..ex wife and I get along fine nowadays and the kids are both music lovers. The sound system isn't why we got divorced. :D

sagosto
02-26-2024, 11:51 AM
How about bookshelf speaker on higher stands, or mounted to the wall? Gauging by your posts, that probably wouldn't fly either.
Who will appreciate the system the most? When my ex and I got divorced, after a couple of years I began setting up an AV system in my living room. I ended up with my first set of Ascends, the original CBM-170's and HTM-200's. It was for me to enjoy.
The kids spent their time at each household 50/50...sadly, they were very young, but we all got through it well. I remember the three of us watching a show and both kids said "It sounds so much better than at Mom's house". Honestly, that put a smile on my face. :)
That said, if only you are going to be the one to appreciate the system, live with the compromise, maybe not put as much money into it, and get a good ear/headphone setup for yourself.
BTW..ex wife and I get along fine nowadays and the kids are both music lovers. The sound system isn't why we got divorced. :D

Laugh. I am not sure how this is going to turn out for me one way or the other. I have 40" tower approval for the corners. 340SEs on a tower (21" + 24") is probably too tall.

MusicHead
02-29-2024, 06:48 PM
How about a wider TV console, and put a pair of short towers or tall bookshelves on each side, so that they appear as an extension of the TV screen? After all, the TV is the bulkier item in the room!

Something like this:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/9a/84/259a84d39a3cfd2018e77475f0a5197b.jpg